Hannibal (TV series)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by DevilEyes, May 22, 2013.

1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Actually enjoyed the latest episode, although sometimes the camera just lingers too long for the intended effect of the close-up or whatever.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, they did a straight-to-series order and already bought and paid for the entire 13-episode first season, so they probably don't want to torpedo viewership by saying, "Yep, it's canceled," which could result in what small viewership base there is abandoning the show due to knowing that there are probably threads that will never be resolved.

I mean, it's got to be a semi-expensive show (it's shot extremely well with a lot of creative lighting, so I have to imagine the episodes were shot with a somewhat extended schedule, and Fishburne / Mikkelsen especially don't come cheap), and therefore I figure NBC is trying to get the most out of its investment.

3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

See some Hannibal fans have edited Wikipedia.

4. flipjack

flipjack Lieutenant Red Shirt

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:bolian::techman::beer:

Smart decision, NBC!

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Shocking.

I just hope when it gets canceled next year that Amazon still will want it and that it doesn't get screwed over.

It might be like Southland or Cougar Town where it's better off on cable / online after a network cancelation.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Still giving it a chance... it is an odd show to be sure, and just a bit too slowly paced for my liking at times. But interesting just enough to keep me tuning in.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised. I expected it to get canceled. I guess it's critical acclaim got it renewed because the ratings suck. I guess another reason for the renewal is that it's an international co-production so NBC only pays for part of it so it's somewhat cheap for them.

10. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nielsen ratings are rubbish anyway and have been outdated for ages.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Blah blah blah, the rating system sucks.

Well too damn bad the rating system sucks, that's how the networks make money, so that's what they follow.

Within 10 years ratings won't matter at all because cable will be replaced by apps.

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

This isn't really true, especially now that Nielsen incorporates DVR / "day after" data, and will be including streaming data in its numbers beginning with the fall television season. Just because you don't sample all 300 million American TV owners (or whatever the number is) doesn't mean they aren't getting statistically significant and reliable data.

This is where demographics come in, and why the entire concept of "industry averages" is bullshit.

For example ... pears and Skittles are both products in the food industry. Can you argue with a straight face that the engagement of Skittles and Del Monte canned pears will be at all comparable?

Nowhere, USA Credit Union and Rich People Inc. Hedge Fund are both in the financial services vertical. One serves a small town of 300 people, and helps out the people who would otherwise stuff their cash under their mattress. The other serves only people with boatloads of funbucks. Are their website traffic, or email list performance, going to be even close to the same? No, not at all.

So, Nielsen provides a very effective and very useful service for the television industry, because every channel has a different target. The CW is very clearly targeting a different audience than CBS is, and NBC has spent a lot of time and investment in targeting an audience of its own (whether or not they've done it well is open to debate).

There's a lot more to the whole picture than "this number was below X, therefore it was bad," and while some small aspects of Nielsen's methodology should be revised, the system is not broken in any way, especially when you consider that DVR services like TiVo sell their timeshifting data with the networks, and the networks themselves can see how many people are streaming content on their own websites. Nielsen is only one piece of the puzzle, which a lot of people fail to realize.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It is a great program, mixing up elements of the original to keep folks guessing, while adding lines we all remember.

I want to see this Hannibal have a dream where he meets Brian Cox (Manhunter) Hopkins, Tom Noonan and Ian Holm--judging him or a fellow character worthy of some development.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The thing about Neilsen Ratings is that I'm not convinced the people who would agree to have a Neilsen Box are a representative sample of the population.

They will become more meaningful in the fall when they start including streaming data.

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Oh wow!!! That was Ellen Muth last night?! :eek:

Are they screwing the order of episodes btw?

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

No, apart from the one they skipped, everything's been aired in the proper order.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imdb says that she's in three episodes.

How come I didn't recognize her till tonight either?

Weird.

OH!

10, 12 and 13.

I fell asleep during 10 and couldn't be bothered rewinding the bugger.

You get one chance with me.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No doubt I'm missing something obvious, but what does Ian Holm have to do with Lecter?

19. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

No idea; he hasn't appeared in any of the films.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral