Star Trek Continues posted solicitation on Facebook

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Wingsley, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

The Star Trek Continues fan-film/web-series just posted a solicitation on their Facebook page.

The solicitation calls upon sci fi script writers to submit a ten-page "treatment" to the Star Trek Continues writing contest. (Only ten pages; not a full script)

I'm a little unclear by what they want in a "treatment"; do they mean a standard teaser and first act? And it isn't clear how STC scripts are formatted. Are they supposed to be written exactly like they were for TOS? (Given the fidelity that STC seems to have to TOS, this would seem logical).

It seems like a very interesting way to attract writers to their "Enterprise".

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

A treatment is essentially a description of the story, not in script form. Sometimes it features dialog, sometimes not, but for TV type scripts often breaks down the description into acts.

3. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

4. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Or better yet, just google it:

From wikihow.com:

A treatment is a summary of a screenplay, TV show, novel or other story, sometimes in the form of an outline. It can be anything from one to ten pages or even longer in length. Treatments can be used as a tool of development, encapsulating a story's most important elements in a more manageable format, for either the writer's own creative purposes or as a vehicle for a producer to give his or her input. Or it can be a marketing tool, a summary of your story that is easier to share with producers or others who might be considering the value of your project before they decide whether to get involved (either financially or creatively or both).
    You may have already finished your entire work and are now reverse-engineering a treatment for marketing purposes (or to facilitate a pitch). Or you may see it as a starting point, a blueprint for your eventual full work.

5. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It used to be march 24th so I rushed in several pages a few days late. Turns out now it's May 24th which is in eleven days (or about two weeks) from now. I had to check my phone to see if we were in 2013 or still in 2012. The winner will be announced on June 30th, so I may have time to resubmit using a four act breakdown this time. Are they looking only for the full one hour or the standard 50 minute scripts or will they accept a half hour TZ type two act thing as well? I have both already scripted.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting. From what I've seen, Star Trek Continues does a MUCH better, if not excellent, job in recreating the original TOS look and feel than ANY other attempt. And their Kirk is such an excellent Shatner impersonation.

The quality of the visual effects is what the TOS-R effects should have been like.

7. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I guess I should check into the forums more often. This sounds like it could be a great opportunity for an aspiring writer and if I can get a treatment done in time, I plan to enter. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

no they do an equally good job as phase 2, with a whiney thief that likes to badmouth other fan productions as kirk.

9. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Tread lightly, people. Make sure this topic stays in the intended direction, instead of veering off into no place good.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ten pages? Heh - at Star Trek in the 80s and 90s they never asked for more than four or five and they paid you real well for those up front. ;)

11. TrekGirl

TrekGirl Ensign Red Shirt

**applause**

12. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

And I think that is the problem. You shouldn't be doing an impersonation of another actor. You should be interpreting the character in your own way. No James Bond actor ever tried to impersonate Sean Connery. Each actor brought their own vision to the roll.

Impersonations of Shatner are invariably caricatures.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it. Together with the really great emulation of the TOS look, if you squint, it could be Shatner. That's nice for a change.

It's just a bit more than how Karl Urban channels DeForest Kelley.

14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I tend to agree. Obviously mileage varies, but personally I prefer to see a fresh take over someone just ageing another actor's performance.

I also think, and I'm sure plenty will disagree, that's why some people dislike other interpretations of Kirk. Because they want the person playing Kirk to just be a clone.

You just can't please everyone. ;)

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Which is why I think an approach like Farragut is better. Of course, you still have to define a character with some charisma, and I'm not sure Farragut succeeds on that point. The captain comes across as a little dull.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i liked farragut precisely because the captain wasn't a larger than life kirk-like character. he seemed more like a regular guy that has to deal with extraordinary situations.

17. TrekGirl

TrekGirl Ensign Red Shirt

You certainly cannot. On other forums people have complained that he doesn't sound ENOUGH like Shatner, that his voice is "higher than Shatner's"...while others say he SOUNDS like him, but doesn't LOOK like him. Then still others say, he looks and/or sounds TOO MUCH like him...that he is simply doing an impersonation.

Just like so many complained about James Cawley's hair color. Again, comparing him to Shatner.

If I were Vic, James or anyone involved in producing a fan film, I'd steer clear of any forums. I'd just do it the way I think it should be done and have fun doing it. Because reading these forums would surely be a frustrating experience.

18. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I will chime in and note that Jimm Johnson's Garrovick was an entirely different type of Captain than we have seen before. Obviously a brilliant officer, but cold and reserved (grim?) with massive emotional baggage. The dynamic Dennis Bailey created with the internal stresses and conflict of the command crew was a very interesting take on how professionalism can overcome personality conflicts.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jimm Johnson gave me a lot of guidance on different aspects of the characters' histories, and I picked up on things that I particularly liked from "The Savage Empire."

20. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

The Exeter crew wasn't a big bunch of warm fuzzy teddy bears, but when the crunch came they could get the job done and I think that's a more real take on ship operations than many we've seen in the Trekverse.