Remake of the Adromeda Strain

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Mar 26, 2012.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the film The Adromeda Strain. They tried to resurrect the concept in a 2008 mini-series that if I recall correctly did do do well.

For those that haven't seen it before see below.

Wiki

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

3. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read the book, but don't think I ever saw the movie. I remember being very disappointed in the ending of the book.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It is perhaps worth noting that the original movie was directed by Robert Wise, who also directed The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original, natch) and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The miniseries wasn't half bad, really. I remember being seriously freaked out by watching what happens to people as they're being infected by the 'strain'. The remake kind of butchered the concept of the 'odd man' hypothesis but I suppose that's a comparatively minor thing.

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

The mini-series was mediocre, at best. I like Benjamin Bratt as well as the next gay guy :drool:, but the show was not as good as the original movie.

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Never saw the miniseries but read the book in 6th grade lol, my first adult sf... always liked it. The movie is one of the most faithful adaptations of a book ever done -- other than switching one scientist to a woman and changing darts to lasers, it's about note-for-note. Even some of the computer graphics are the same.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's among my wife's favorite films. Usually she goes for historical dramas and tearjerker romances. :shrug:

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's funny. The reason I got to thinking about this film is because we've seen a plethora of zombie plague and pandemic films over the past two years and this film fits nicely into that Apocalypse genre or could easily be rewritten that way. Also because of course it has a sci-fi twist since the original film was based on alien microbes. It could also be rewritten with an area 51 conspiracy angle that is very popular today.