Matt Jefferies original shuttle design

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by RedSpar, Dec 28, 2008.

1. RedSpar

RedSpar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought I would tackle something that as far I know hasn't been done yet - Matt Jeffries original sketches for the Enterprise shuttlecraft.

This was the shuttlecraft Jeffries wanted in the original Star Trek, but Paramount said it would be too expensive to build (all the complex curves) as a set piece. So Jeffries went back to the drawing board and drew up the boxy shuttle we have today.

I think his original sketch is much more graceful and makes much more sense since a shuttle needs to be aerodynamic for going in and out of the atmosphere.

Anyways, here is my go at it. Modeled all in Sub-D for the main hull (ugh) Don't mind the weird errors on the end of the wings as I am going to add the engine pylons next. Doesn't look like too much yet as I haven't gotten to any detailing. I've also took a bit a creative license and subtlety smoothed it out a bit more than the drawing. I plan on making a TOS and TMP version I think.

Here is the original drawings from Jeffries:

[​IMG]

Here is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RedSpar

Re: Matt Jeffries original shuttle design

Engine pylons and engine placeholder attached:

[​IMG]

3. RedSpar

Hmm.. having to make a design decision.. Should I go with the stock look of TOS shuttle nacelles (which are pretty boring) or should I spruce it up a bit?

4. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Looking good so far!!! I'd do stock, keep it in line with the shuttles we already know helping to keep it's appearance in line with TOS designs. Looking forward to the finished product!

5. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

This looks very much like the Oberth without the secondary hull and the supporting pylons.

6. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heck do both so we can compare! ;)

7. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did that top and side view, and it was watermarked with my copyright.

[​IMG]

I don't mind my stuff being used -- in fact I encourage it. But I don't want it posted online without the watermark.

8. RedSpar

I apologize... I tried to make a clean reference sheet that was only to be shown for this model. I'll take it down if you wish.

Well aside from pissing the artist who made the plan views off, at least it is nice to meet the person who did them.. Good job on them BTW.

9. RedSpar

Aridas, your drawing are re-watermarked and your name posted on the image. Again apologies - I'll give you a copy of the model when I am finished with it a show of good faith.

10. aridas sofia

No problems. I'm not pissed -- I just like to keep some things straight. This is a design I retrieved from the ash heap to use in my cross section of the 1701, much to the consternation of some. I love it, and am glad you are making a model.

Thanks for the offer of the model -- I look forward to it.

11. aridas sofia

BTW, RedSpar -- the sketches in the lower left of your study sheet are for a different design that was a TOS-era predecessor to Jefferies' Phase II shuttlecraft.

12. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a point of history, Jefferies didn't design the Galileo shuttlecraft, AMT did, although the inspiration would seem to be a thumbnail sketch Jefferies did as part of a series of prospective auxiliary craft.

[​IMG]

13. RedSpar

Thanks for being cool about it. Yeah, I really love the design, much more realistic and practical than the official TOS shuttlecraft. You would think a shuttle would need to be aerodynamic vs the boxy wedge of the AMT version. Also, keeping the warp engines from touching the ground in a landing situation is also a good idea.

Only problem is a few guys on the sci-fi meshes forum say it looks like a Romulan ship, which it kinda does.

14. RedSpar

Yeah after researching before I started the model I found that out. I wanted to get a feel for his design elements on all his stuff.

I see one difference with your orthos vs his sketches though, he had the vertical pylon for the warp engine much farther forward on the wing as where you put it back, parallel with the leading edge. I went with what you did as I liked the look better.

15. aridas sofia

The script for "Balance of Terror" indicates that the Bird of Prey was based on a stolen Starfleet design. I think this would make a good candidate for that stolen design.

As for the changes I made to the original design, yeah... I was tweaking it. His sketches show him messing with the width and the placement of the various parts. I took it all as preliminary and tried to guess where he might have gone with it had it gone to the model stage.

16. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The warp engines don't touch the ground with the AMT version.

17. RedSpar

I love Matt's designs but those auxiliary crafts are ugh-ly

18. RedSpar

My only real concern is how close the hatch is to the front of the cockpit. Not much room there. I am wondering if I should put hatches on both sides or just one...

19. aridas sofia

Again, those have to be seen as "sketching on a napkin, tossing ideas around" kind of stuff. Our own Warped9 took Jefferies original boxy shuttlecraft design and came up with this:

[​IMG]

Absolutely fantastic design. It blends the aerodynamic elements of Jefferies' original shuttles with his boxy little shuttle to come up with something that is arguably better than any of them, including Galileo. And it feels true to what Jefferies would have done had he had the budget.

20. RedSpar

Yeah that is nice. More wing-like features which makes sense for a craft that flies in the atmosphere. Although, doing this Jefferies original in 3d, it really is starting to look like a contemporary stealth aircraft or drone. He was way ahead of his time.

I was also kicking around the idea of a retractable housing that goes over the bussards in atmospheric flight to protect them. It would be complicated to model and rig but I am afraid would make the nacelles too bulky looking.

I'm soo tempted to put 2 small vertical stabilizers on the back of my model.. hehe