12 Monkeys pilot greenlit by Syfy

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Aug 27, 2013.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How did the street preacher know Cole was a time traveler? Or the bum who called him Bob? There seems to be some kind of unexplained connection. That aside, someone uncontrollable who knows their methods, objectives and when/where they're sending people could raise hell with their operations. The scientist-council said they had had a lot of problems with unreliable time travelers. They were also shown to be a high-handed, demanding, controlling and not very ethical group, so eliminating those who don't follow their program to the letter didn't seem too far out of character.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But Cole didn't have some kind of sixth sense identifying them as time travelers; they deliberately acted in a way that got his attention. By the same token, if they send some new guy and just tell him "try to blend in and stay away from James Cole", how's Cole going to interfere with him? The new guy could go rogue too, but you always run that risk.

But why not just eliminate them in the future ( or just kick them out of the program, so to speak )? We see that they keep sending Cole back even though he fails to follow their program to the letter.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm fine with quite a few of those changes. Dropping the dream sequences/foreshadowing makes sense, for example. On the other hand, I wish they kept the rules of time travel ambiguous. Let them believe it's possible to change the future without necessarily establishing that fact conclusively early on.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's preview time.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pKNtYwlGo[/yt]

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw that earlier today. Looks pretty good.
    I can't get my computer to copy the address for a link to the story, but I IGN has an interview with the producers.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That looks terrible -- a pale imitation of the original* in production value, writing, and acting. It's sometimes hard to judge these things based on trailers, though, so I'll reserve final judgment for when the reviews start to come out.

*Also, of course, a remake.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've only seen the Gilliam film once, so I don't have much to compare this to -- which is probably for the best. I think something like this is best judged on its own terms, allowed to be its own distinct entity. The trailer looked okay to me, although I got the impression it won't be doing anything that different from the standard tropes of most time-travel fiction.

10. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

The Terry Gilliam movie is one of my favorite films, so this is going to have a hard time winning me over. Plus, it looks like shit.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw three actors from Nikita in the trailer, and IMDB tagged a producer from Nikita for me.

If you liked Nikita, the recent TV "version" of Nikita, then you should like this.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nikita is one of my favorite shows, so knowing that really ups my anticipation for this. I wonder if they'll get any other Nikita vets? I don't think Lyndsy Fonesca, is working on anything at the moment. *Crosses fingers*

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

14. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain