Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

This reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do we keep discussing old stuff over and over again? The plot of the film hasn't even been released yet. All we have is so far is speculation and rumours. Even the casting call thing that was posted a while back was from Comic Book Movies which I don't believe referenced an actual source. From what I've read Luthor was in the early drafts but doesn't seem to be in the film and it's possible we'll have LexCorp in the background.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

This surprises me coming from you

See Above.

All of them are largely trivial! :lol:

The problem some had with Superman Returns was that it directly lifted character beats, motivations, and plot points from Superman: The Movie.

All we know about Man of Steel are very general elements which can compare with the earlier films. Doesn't mean the movie will be "essentially a remake" any more than The Dark Knight was "essentially a remake" of Batman.

Oh great! It's clearly going to be a remake of the later seasons of Lois and Clark!!!!!!!

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I like fun. Real Estate Luthor and Otis were not fun.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, they were fun. ONCE.

6. Admiral_Young

7. the G-man

I don't want the corporate mogul. I want the guy in Maggin's "Last Son of Krypton" novel...or the one in "All Star Superman"...or the one in the later season of JLU

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Once was one time too many. Didn't find them funny in 1978 and I still don't.

9. Admiral_Young

The guy in All Star Superman was basically a combination of the corporate mogul and mad scientist. Morrison is the one who really cemented the corporate mogul during his JLA run. Luthor the globalist who has delusions of grandeur but continues to be thwarted by Superman and the Justice League.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If it helps you, I was also disappointed to learn that Luthor would be the villain in S:R.

I will say that I could be surprised by how MOS turns out. Maybe this will be a breakout portrayal of Zod akin to Ledger's Joker.

11. Admiral_Young

I was excited when I heard Kevin Spacey was going to be Luthor...then disappointed to discover he was DonnerVerse Luthor.

12. the G-man

If I recall correctly, there was no mogul aspect to Luthor in All Star. He was a mad scientist, pardoned to work on the space mission, by Gen. Lane. After using the mission to attempt to kill Superman he was reimprisoned. Basically, AS Luthor was "Last Son of Krypton" Luthor.

Now, it is true that LSK Luthor was a billionaire business owner, but never under his own name. Indeed, one of the fun things about LSK Luthor was that, because of his criminal status, he couldn't take credit for his many genius accomplishments, including ghost writing songs for Bob Dylan.

Bottom line for me, at least, is I don't want the Luthor as Gordon Gekko incarnation. Too 80s.

13. Admiral_Young

I don't think we'll see Lex at all until the sequel...if there is one.

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Why do you have doubts there will be a sequel?

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Well, we never got one to Superman Returns, did we?

16. Gojira

True...even though I really liked that movie...despite its flaws. But somehow I have it in my mind that Man of Steel will be better and so i think the chances that it won't get a sequel are low. But I could be very wrong!

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Pre-release the same things were said of Superman Returns.
    It's been mostly the same type gripes.
    Bosworth and Adams both taking fire as Lois.
    The costume being scrutinized.
    The use of primary villain.

While the studio will say the typical "plans for a sequel are underway" announcement it means squat till a few weeks of box office receipts start showing up.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was a considerably darker and more menacing guy, though, even when he was supposed to be funny.

And Spacey committed.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Oh yeah, the 'WROOOOOOOONNGGGGGGGGG' bit was definitely more sinister than anything Hackman ever came out with. And he looked really sadistic when he stuck that Kryptonite shiv in Superman.

20. Gojira

I really thought Spacey nailed the character of Luthor. Hackman's portrayal seems very comedic now in comparison.