Today would have been.....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by EnsignHarper, Mar 3, 2014.

1. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

...Jimmy Doohan's 94th birthday! As has been said before his Scotty is the one 'subordinate' character whose role and importance actually grew as the series went along, and a lot of that is due to Doohan's presence, not only in playing a 'genius' engineer, but bringing his experiences in the military to give Scott credibility as a third in command.

It is sort of sad that Doohan's abilities as an actor get short shrift - he was trained at the famed Neighborhood Playhouse, and later actually served an instructor there. He hardly ever got a chance to show his skills off on TOS - we get a glimpse in TNG's Relics, though, and he did a bang up job in a recurring role on a soap - The Bold and the Beautiful I think.

So I now have to admit, that once I started getting into Trek - after hating it just because my big sister liked it- I was always drawn to Scotty. It became a very nice thing indeed that I found out we actually shared a Birthday! It actually gave me a very nice thing to bring up the only time I ever got to meet a member of the cast at a signing. :techman:

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Nice remembrance. Also, Mr. Doohan was a Canadian WWII vet who participated in the D-Day landings. There were times where you could see his military experience shine through the character.

3. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    Was it because of the increased gravitational effect of his enlarged mass?

I was thinking about this the other day, that TOS mains sometimes didn't have much of a career after the show. Shatner did, of course, & Takei. Nimoy & Koenig, kind of (the latter taking some years to really ramp up again). Kelley, Doohan & Nichols...far less so. I don't think it was typecasting but almost an inability of the industry to see them in anything BUT that role.

4. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

This is pretty much the definition of typecasting though...

5. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    I suppose. Perhaps what I meant to say was that the industry believed the populace would have trouble seeing them in other roles.

6. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

James Doohan was brilliant in TOS-movies. It's a pity, that he didn't have much of a career after Star Trek. It's not fair.

7. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

He was the featured guest at the one and only Trek con that I ever attended, and I'm glad that I got to see him in person that day, even if it was only for a few minutes.

Happy Birthday Mr. Doohan, and rest in peace, you deserve it.

8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy belated birthdy Ensign Harper and James Doohan.:beer: