The Official Deleted/Alternate Material Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainBearclaw, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

One day, I'll check my old fan club newsletters. We definitely reported the event there, but not sure how thorough the editor was at stating original sources in those days. We had members in LA sending every relevant newsclipping about the making of ST II at the time.

It was. ;)

2. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am in the process of reading Kelley's biography and in WOK there was a scene at least discussed (not filmed) where McCoy and Kirk would of had a moment to reflect on Spock's death.

This scene was forgo for the final scene between Kirk and his son. From a dramatic stand point I do understand why they decided to go with the son scene. Having Kirk's son accept his father in the end was obviously an important way to end their story.

However I think as a fan I would of rather seen that moment between Kirk and McCoy and their shared loss of Spock. That is the relationship I care about not Kirk and his son. After all Kirk and his son was only introduced in this movie whereas Kirk/McCoy/Spock was there from day one.

3. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Well, I LOVE deleted/alternate scenes, so I'm extremely pleased of this post, keep it going.

However it would be much better if all the information were collected in a website, with pictures, script excerpts and videos. Reading the lists, and then all the replies (with corrections and extra info) can be quite confusing. Something like http://www.startrekhistory.com/ (which I also love, even if there are things I don't like). This is not a critic, just wishful thinking.

Important question: where do I find a copy of TWOK workprint? Not the directors cut or the "edited for television" version (which I already have), but the workprint where Spock says that Saavik is half romulan (this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKw66EU5Fc, from the mysterious apparently unrelated "Captain Kirk Page" http://www.thecaptainkirkpage.com/).

Finally, for those who haven't seen it yet, this is the page where I collected all the pictures of the alternate spacewalk scene from TMP, the Memory Wall scene.
    http://www.marcellorossi.info/Memory/Memory.html
    It was definitely filmed, but not post produced. I believe the pictures leave no doubt about it.

Maab

4. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I believe someone has said it in the UCLA film archives.

EDIT: Yep, looks to be there:
    http://cinema.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=2&ti=1,2&Search%5FArg=star%20trek&SL=None&Search%5FCode=FTIT&CNT=50&PID=tGS5GJ6gAYnHKc1Zz-CXv2jqdNut&SEQ=20130727154852&SID=4

The last entry is:
    "ADDITIONAL PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: B&w work print of color film. Squeezed image (scope print source). NOTES: "Missing insert," titles throughout. A7-162-30 "

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Is the 'classified' pic from the 1980 TMP calendar?

6. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Most interesting, I didn't know that. However I believe you have to go there in person to watch it. (if I understood correctly this is what Grant did). But someone must have a color VHS copy, since excerpts are on YouTube, but I've never found anyone who had it.

Maab

7. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Actually it comes directly from Paramount Archives. I live in Italy and I regularly write for the Official Star Trek Italian Magazine. So I had access to a large set of official pics from Paramount (and now from CBS), all in hi-res, and that one was among those. I've never seen it anywhere else, however it could also be in the TMP calendar, I do not own it.

Maab

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I believe some of those excerpts were shown at ShoWest in 1982 and those are the in-color clips you've seen.

What might be worth digging for is the OTHER 1980 calendar, which was a pic per week for 52 weeks. There was a fantastic Kirk in penguin grays still that I don't recall seeing anywhere else since.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the color footage is definitely from the ShoWest trailer.

I assume that lising at UCLA is correct, although the version I saw there is listed separately under the title "Pisces Project / Paramount."

According to the catalog listing (inventory number DVD4324 M): "A videotape of a b&w work print of work in progress, sent to the outside vendor who was cutting the theatrical trailer and TV spots; sent under the code name Pisces Project for the purpose of maintaining secrecy prior to the film’s release."

10. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Hmm, OK thanks, but what was exactly shown at ShoWest convention in 1982? A full workprint or just few scenes? And in case, are the YouTube scenes all those shown or there are more?

By the way... isn't this convention the one Larry Nemecek is doing a full documentary about? (http://www.larrynemecek.com/conwrath)

And also isn't again a ShoWest convention (more precisely in 2009) where the first J.J. Abrams Star Trek was shown un-announced before the official premiere? Brought in person by Leonard Nimoy? Instead of Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan?

Lucky fans those who live there.

Maab

11. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

A mod here named Tim sent me a disk of it years back, and I'm pretty sure the only stuff on it that went unseen in the final cut was the Saavik heritage revelation and some of the dialog with everybody on the bridge at the end. i sure don't remember any others.

13. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maab, you're the kind of people I was hoping this thread would attract! I am hoping to make a full site of this someday, this is just practice.

P.S. First Contact may be a while. I'm on vacation and have no easy way of communicating with the TrekBBS. I would appreciate some help, though. There's only two scenes that I know of. You guys are all a big help!

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

15. CaptainBearclaw

Great find!! It has a few extra scenes, like Khan screaming after Kirk after Kirk's surprise attack.

16. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It was just a few minutes total.

18. CaptainBearclaw

So, one member of this thread once stated that he had seen the TVH work print, any reports on that?

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Holy moly, I had forgotten about that.

20. CaptainBearclaw

Was it from any superior VHS recording? The YouTube version has some garbling and warping at the beginning and end.