7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

55.2%
  2. Good

32.8%
  3. Average

8.6%
  4. Save us!

2.3%
  5. Exterminate!!

1.1%
  1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed that very much!

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All kinds of fuck yeah! Well worth the wait.

Jenna Louise Coleman was excellent.

Daleks were atmospheric and creepy, the new super robomen were pretty good.

I need to watch it again.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yes i remember that, i was making a funny...

M

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Loved that. :) Great to see Jenna Louise Coleman too.

5. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow - good episode. So the new companion is going to start out as or end up as a Dalek? Cool!

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Cool! :techman:

7. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

as confusing as some of this episode was the pay off of the Daleks chanting "Doctor Who" was a total joy to watch. However one thing I did think was odd, was how the Doctor told Amy to hold on to scared, because it wasnt Dalek, when the whole reason he was there was because they were scared.

On a more serious point, ok so all the Daleks on the parliament of the Daleks I get, but where did Skaro and the Asylum come from, its a very long way from "every atom of your existence, I divide them"

Anyways all of this seems to distract from the appearance of Clara, which the show did an amazing job of keeping secret, going to interesting to see how she becomes the companion proper.

On another note I was hoping for more of the previous Daleks, was there really no big doors Special Weapons could have blown up.

ok so the first pay off I mention of "Doctor Who?" is the second pay off, but the first pay off of Clara being a Dalek seems to make the whole episode worth whatever faults I might like to nitpick.

im going to need to watch this one avian.

8. Tzenkethi

Tzenkethi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I got Sally Phelan lump in my throat when the converted human Dalek spoke to the Doctor.
    It's also a iconic episode as last season the Doctor said he's made too much noise and needs to make a low profile.

9. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well we don't have a specific 'date' for when this episode took place...

We know Rose obliterated the Dalek's when the Gamestation was active... somewhere around the year 200,000 - 200,100... Pretty far in the future... safe to say the Dalek's prior to that happening weren't affected as we've seen the Dalek's several times since then.

So we can just assume that this episode took place somewhere before the year 200,000... not a big stretch lol

M

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

the Nina and Amy reunion was a bit easy at the end, but really they did very little in the episode, and I fear wont do anything really worthwhile ever again.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Rose doesn't do that to the Daleks until way into the future. And, for that matter, I'm not entirely clear what the Doctor did to the Daleks during the Time War (except maybe blow up a fleet on or near Gallifrey) since the pre-Time War Dalek timeline clearly still exists since there are Daleks who survived and remembered "Master-Plan," "Planet," and some others. (I won't touch whether or not this episode canonizes War of the Daleks.) This Skaro is post-"Master-Plan" and, judging by the devastation, post-"Evil."

That's what those of us who saw preview screenings were pinky-sworn not to tell. Also, I don't believe her name is Clara in the episode. :)

I was hoping for Dalek Storm.

Well, it certainly raises some interesting questions. And there are some possibilities that are derivative of Star Trek's "The Cage" (or Seven of Nine, for that matter), Philip K. Dick's "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale," etc.

The possibility that really interests me is this. Could the Daleks weaponize the Asylum's nanomachines and use them to infect an entire biosphere with the Dalek Factor, thus creating a planet of humanoid Dalek drones?

12. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Well that was BRILLIANT!
    The now lost Second Doctor first story The Power of the Daleks was set on Vulcan.

13. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed that, much better than anything Moffat produced last year thankfully. Amy and Rory definitely time to go now, easily the weakest part of the episode was their divorce nonsense.

14. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

So it looks like there will be an arc of sorts, and it looks like a good one.

Very good episode, full of derring-do and (the right kind of) pathos. Loved Jenna-Louise. I hope she's this good when she becomes a regular.

Very cheeky uses of the question, too. I wonder if it'll be turning up in future season 7 episodes.

The new title sequence was a lovely surprise. Better in every way that the previous (rather cartoony) one in my opinion. The mix of the theme tune appears to be one of the areas of improvement, with a few judicious changes.

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

the way I saw that was because Rose was using the Time Vortex, she divided every atom in there existence ever, in all of time.

Of course im being picky, because taking that approach they never really explained where the life raft containing the new Daleks in Victory of the Daleks came from.

and it really shows why secrets should be kept.

its certainly interesting to wonder why they never did that before, now its blown up, they may not have any nanogenes, they were all used on the Asylum.

Also talking of the Asylum, it did remind me of Q Who, when the Doctor explored the Asylum, I wonder if we may end up with a "Best of Both Worlds" style cliffhanger concerning Amy, or Clara.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Internet-breaking spoilers my arse! I didn't even recognise who it was - meant nothing to me!

So, apparently the secret after the credits was Jenna Louise Coleman. Who I totally didn't recognise. Her character's name is Oswin Oswald, which is different than companion Clara Oswin - I wonder if she'll be a sister or ancestor or something. Either way, it means the majority of viewers won't have been surprised tonight, but will be at Xmas. So why the hype for tonight? I'd actually have got more out of it *knowing* the spoiler because then at least I'd have known who the fuck she was meant to be...

I wonder if she was originally hired for this, and then they decided to keep her on because of it? Like, say, Nyssa or Jamie.

Also, I didn't like her much. Maybe it was cos she was trying to top the current companion fast-talking back-talking thing too much. It was just Donna and Amy +1. I hope she's not like that all through the next half of the season.

Fun episode otherwise, though the reason for the Ponds' divorce is a silly bit of plot contrivance just to manipulate the audience. Loved all the Dalek stuff though. Matt Smith should play Bill Nighy's son in something - he looked just like him in some shots...

17. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The episode didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped, but I certainly enjoyed it. It was nice to see some older model Daleks, especially the SWD, though given the pre-publicity I'd expected they'd have been given more prominence.

Jenna Louise Coleman was very impressive, and demonstrated why she got the companion role. Of course, I've no idea how that would work out. The fact that she was called 'Oswin' and the new companion is to be (allegedly) 'Clara' suggests she may be a sister or other relation. I hope not though, the idea of a human/Dalek companion is a weirdly compelling one.

The Dalek zombies were nice and creepy, and I'll bet a few kids will be watching bus drivers closely from now on.

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

im sorry but Jenna Louise Coleman. should not return as a new character when she becomes the companion, its going to be far too soon for that, and offensive to the storyline that would somehow explain how she can become the companion.

This isnt Freema Agyeman appearance as a Torchwood employee, before her appearance as Martha.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Think I need to watch it again before I rate it, but I think I liked it a lot. Not 100% certain because it did feel like it took a while to get into, which might be down to it not playing anything like how I expected. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Anyway...Jenna Louise Coleman was brilliant, and hurrah for the lack of spoilers because that really caught me on the hop, in fact the whole episode surprised me in all sorts of ways. I'm guessing the nature of the story made it easy for Jenna to film her bits secretly, perhaps even after Karen and Arthur had finished? They never actually interact after all...wonder if originally somone else played the part?

Anyway, kudos for keeping that a secret Moff, and given her sly half look to the camera and 'remember' line at the end I'm guessing she will be back, half human/half Dalek companion? I do hope so.

Loved the new robomen, and the dalek zombies were brilliant.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Amy and Rory's little story got to me a bit. I'd agree it did feel like they were sidetracked somewhat, but I'm guessing they'll be more front and centre for the rest of the series. I really hope they don't kill em both though.

And the finale? Doctor Who? brilliant!

20. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral