The Official Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Point taken.
    In The Deadly Years, it could have just been senility. In fact I think the exact dialogue was something like:

"I was born in IowI WANT GREEN JELLO!"

And in STIV:TVH, I'm sure he told Dr. Gillian that only because he wanted to impress her in hopes of getting some nookie: "Hey baby; I'm from Iowa"

2. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

Hi my name is Merrill and I'm an Alchoho.... Wait no that's tomorrow's meeting....

I'm a long time trek fan, tf fan, dr who, fan... You get the picture....

I'm recently returning to the fandom after a break.

IRL I am a cook and a Karaoke Jockey in NE Pennsylvania.. what up dogs :)

As you can tell by my board name I'm a big Klingon Fan..

3. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Commander Red Shirt

Y'know...I'm posting this here cause I didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask a dumbish question.
    Is Trek XI a reboot or not?
    I can't seem to clarify this for myself, even given the huge amounts of stuff I've read.
    Is it taking place strictly in the Trek Universe as we know it, like just a prequel to TOS?
    Thanks, and sorry. :alienblush:

-Rabittooth

4. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

From what Orci said over at Donmurphy.net where he has his ask Robert Orci thread... It's a Hybrid Reboot/prequel. They want to keep enough trek to keep it trek, but they want it to be able to stand as it's own seperate incarnation too.....

5. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm making a belated intro... I think I just hit my 50th post... tho to many it may seem like 50 million. :P

I really like DS9, the Jem'Hadar are awesome... and I really can't stop talking about them. I tried! I really did, for a whole year or two once I did pretty good! Then Fearful Symmetry came out... sorry everyone!! :(

On topic... I have mixed feelings about ST11... it'll be nice to see an ST film on the big screen, maybe seen revitalized interest if they handle it right. But there is all that other stuff, the messages back and forth between Shatner and Abrams etc. etc., and worry about changing canon, and unpleasantness... I just hope by the end its something we aren't sick of by time it comes out and that it works for all the different types of fans.

6. NCC-1967

NCC-1967 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi everyone!
    Frequent lurker, first-time poster...
    My name is Jorge, I'm a 41 year-male from Portugal (my nickname denotes my year of birth, of course).
    I'm too young to have witnessed the beginning of this enduring sci-fi saga, but I'm old enough to remember that distant 1978 when TOS premiered on portuguese TV. I've became an addict ever since!
    Yes, it took Kirk & Co. ten years to reach these shores (I know we live in the farthest reaches of charted space ;) but still...)!
    Just a warning: my favorite ST movie is TMP!

7. Creston

Creston Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone.

Long time Trek fan here, definitely excited about the new movie, and I hope it gets Trek going again.

Favorite show has always been DS9, followed by TNG. TOS comes in third, sorry...

Been lurking for a few days now, figured I'd sign up.

8. DimitarBG

DimitarBG Ensign Newbie

Hello all!My name is Dimitar and i am from Bulgaria.I'm a 16 and I've been a fan for 3 or 4 years.
    I Love all Treks(EXCEPT TAS) and I hate Wesley Crusher :)

9. azebelys

azebelys Lieutenant Red Shirt

there is one thing i want to ask, and this being a busy board, seems like the right place.

The new movie is being down by someone new to the franchise. but what deal has he actually signed? is the agreement for the director/writers/actors strictly a one film deal, or have they signed to something like a trilogy

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

As I understand it it, the deal for some parties involved (director/writers/main cast, etc.) does allow for additional movies, if this one proves successful. I don't think that a trilogy is anything like cast in stone at this point, though.

11. azebelys

azebelys Lieutenant Red Shirt

thanks for that.

does it worry you that if this film doent live up to expectations, it could kill the whole franchise off? there is a lot riding on this film, and i am concerened that if this film flops, it could be the last star trek ever.

the reason it worries me is because i dont really hear many people praising abrahams efforts, and it doesnt seem that people have a lot of confidence in him doing a good job

12. M'Sharak

There's a lot riding on it for those who have invested time and money in its production, no question, but Star Trek will still exist whether this movie succeeds or not. I further suspect that, even if this movie were to bomb at the box office and ruin the collective careers of all involved, it wouldn't automatically mean the end of Star Trek. (I hesitate to use the term "franchise", since it has nearly as many incompatible meanings to as many different people as does the term "reboot", which I have previously criticized as being utterly useless.)

If you read the various topics in this forum alone, I think you'll find all opinions quite well-represented, from those praising Abrams & Co. and expressing confidence that they'll make a good movie to those who think he's the worst thing which could ever happen to Trek... and every conceivable shading in between.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been here for a few years, but I saw the trailer yesterday and am really close to adding this forum as one of my favorites. I guess in that sense, I am coming because of the movie. I've really remained neutral on the whole thing (I think the only news I've gotten was: the Cast, a picture of the ship, some Alien dude played by Bana, and now the trailers. As for nuts and bolts, I barely know what the cast looks like and I don't even know whose playing McCoy). I think that's kinda good in that I've tried to avoid spoilers and take this from a common moviegoer point of view.

14. M'Sharak

Heya, tomalak.

McCoy is played by Karl Urban, whom you may also have seen as Eomer in the Lord of the Rings movies a few years back. He's done some other things, as well.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey M'Sharak,

Very cool. He was also in Bourne Supremacy too, even though I don't remember his character that much. I do remember him some from LOTR though.

16. Plastic Jesus

Plastic Jesus Cadet Newbie

Hi, my name's Gareth and I joined a fair while ago... my account sort of expired, and then I came back again.

Like the new board software, btw. As I said, I was here quite a while ago...

17. dillon3001

dillon3001 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Everyone,

My name is Dillon and im 29 years old. I've grown up on TOS reruns, TOS movies and I remember where I was and what I was doing when "Encounter at Farpoint" came on TV for the first time. Ive watched all flavors of Star Trek, but TOS,TNG and ENT is what I usually watch the most. Im mostly been reading around for the last few months, but i'll be sure to post a bit more often

18. trekriffic

trekriffic Commander Red Shirt

Hi there. Don't know how I missed this site for so long. I go by trekriffic but my real name is Steve. I also hang out on SSM and RI a lot of the time. I live in Fremont, CA and sell data communications equipment for a living. In my spare time I build models; mostly Star Trek ships but I do have a weakness for Irwin Allen kits. I'm a big fan of the original series. I hope the new film does well. The youthful cast may be just the thing to revitalize the whole ST franchise.

19. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Well... I've actually been posting on another Star Trek website for a few years, but I've been lurking around this place for awhile and decided to start posting here.

I'm a life-long Trekkie-- and yes, I prefer Trekkie over Trekker. I'm actually a 2nd generation Trekkie as my father was a huge fan of TOS. A too am I huge TOS fan; "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield" is my all-time favorite episode. Also was a big TNG fan. And to be honest, the only movie I really dislike 'to date' is Generations. I like DS9, VOY, and ENT... but not near as much as TOS and TNG, (though I did love the 4th season of ENT). And thanks to Netflix, I'm discovering TAS.

I'm looking forward to the new movie, but am VERY SKEPTICAL. I'm willing to look past and accept the canon violations, character retcons, new Enterprise design, new bridge design, fancy CGI effects, exploding starships, topless Uhura (in fact, I welcome a topless Uhura) and product placements... AS LONG AS this movie has some heart. It's gotta be a charcter driven story. I want a good character driven story, not two hours of mindless Star Wars-like effects. [***NOTE*** I'm not dissing Star Wars. I like Star Wars. But they're two complelty different things.]

Well, I've type enough. I've got 49 posts I have to make until I can have a avatar! :)

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral