Name your ship!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by cwl, May 27, 2009.

1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I submitted a script to TNG, I had a science vessel named the USS George 'n' Gracie, after the whales in Star Trek IV.

I mean, they did save the planet. The least Starfleet can do is name a ship after them.

2. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I'd be careful, the Robau saw fit to travel on a single nacelle ship ;)

3. Warp Rider

Warp Rider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

U.S.S. Adventurer NCC-452069 (My ship in my fanfic =P)

4. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm a big opera fan, actually studied it in college, and I thought of naming my ship this except I would do it the German spelling, USS Die Walküre. A couple of other names I've thought of, USS New Mexico and USS Cape Cod.

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

USS Belligerent Prom King.

I don't know. It just sounds angry.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but the guy went around starting wars for the sole purpose of forcing the German states into joining into one German Empire under the control of Prussia. In other words, he was guilty of what we today refer to as the crime of aggressive war.

Not the sort of guy the Federation ought to be naming a starship after.

Personally...

- USS Liberty, Galaxy-class - not named after the ship attacked in the infamous incident, but just after the idea

- USS Mandela, Sovereign-class - after former South African President and anti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela

- USS Bhutto - after former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, who was, if Ron Suskind is to be believed, undergoing a fundamental change in political philosophy towards a pro-democracy POV at the time of her assassination, attempting to bring peace and democracy to a very troubled state; this name was actually given to a ship in the TNG novel Greater Than the Sum wherein it was a Saber-class, though it was destroyed

- USS Gandhi and USS King - named after Gandhi and Martin Luther King, respectively; these would need to be either science vessels or dedicated diplomatic aide vessels, though, since it would be pretty disgusting to name ships that engage in combat after dedicated pacifists

- USS Malcom X, Defiant-class - lotsa people hate him, but few activists were as forceful in their insistence for equal rights for African-Americans

- USS John Adams, Galaxy-class - My personal favorite Founding Father

- USS Sabato, Galaxy-class - named after Ernesto Sabato, famed Argentine novelist and the chairman of the National Commission on the Disappearance of Persons in Argentina, one of the first post-conflict truth commissions and THE first truth commission to publish its findings to widespread public consumption and influence in the form of Nunca Más, investigating the Argentine military dictators and their crimes against humanity during the Dirty War

- USS Alfonsín - this one is probably semi-controversial, but this is named after Raúl Alfonsín, the first democratically-elected President of Argentina after the military dictatorship lost power in the early 80s; in my view, this man saved Argentine democracy and set Argentina on the path towards bringing the perpetrators of the Dirty War to justice (even if he had to stop it from actually happening during his term to keep the military from staging a coup)

7. Royal Fizzbin

Royal Fizzbin Lieutenant Red Shirt

USS Century, NX-90000. Commissioned 01 January 2400. First of her class, and first official timeship of the Federation. Equipped with a chroniton deflector, temporal shielding, and a phase cloak.

I'd been kicking around the idea of this ship and maybe a fanfic based around it for a while, but honestly the new movie throws the idea of timeships into a bit of disarray. For example, why would anyone go back to correct changes in the timeline if the original timeline is still preserved and all they will be doing is creating a third?

8. Sci

Trek has always portrayed time travel as doing both. Just say that sometimes it causes a new, parallel timeline to emerge, and other times it causes differences within your own timeline.

9. Royal Fizzbin

Royal Fizzbin Lieutenant Red Shirt

So, use the established concepts that are convenient to my story and ignore or retcon the ones that aren't? Now that's good Trek writing! ;)

10. Sci

That's how it's always been done. :)

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

USS Warlord. And just go around destroying things...

12. Sci

That sort of name is more appropriate for a Terran Empire warship than a Federation starship, isn't it?

Though, really, why not just name it the USS Ima' Kick Yo' ASS, Mothafucka'!, a Baddass Guns 'n' Shit-class starship if you're gonna go that route?

13. cwl

cwl Commander Red Shirt

USS Scythe

14. Londoner

Londoner Ensign Red Shirt

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean like this? ;)

16. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nero and Spock went through a black hole. The only other time anything has done that in Trek was V'Ger and it wasn't explicitly stated that that was the Prime Timeline's Voyager 6. Heck, their version of Voyager 6 could still even be out there, having not fallen into a black hole.

Every other instance of time travel has been via fancy subspace mumbo-jumbo. Surely multiple models of time travel can apply at once, non?

17. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

My fleet is composed of the following ships:

USS Colin Powell - my nuConstitution class flagship
    USS Curie - science vessel
    USS Nightingale - medical vessel
    USS Raven & USS Hawk - scout ships
    USS Defender - Defiant-class (every fleet needs one)

18. zenfakor

zenfakor Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hidden on The Enterprise, and in Uhuras closet.
    USS RODEN, or the USS BARRET, But I like USS TYLER PERRY, but I will go with the USS THEED.

19. cwl

cwl Commander Red Shirt

USS Interceptor - Poseidon-class (fast cruiser)

20. Sci

Oh, hey, here.

USS Bartlet - after early 21st Century US President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet of New Hampshire. ;)