Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That's not even remotely accurate.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I saw no bat nipples.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

It's a first trailer, there'll be more.

But from what there is? Oh yeah, looks to be a hoot.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Fuck. I was on board when I found out it was just gonna be "Bert Macklin, FBI" in Space. ... the trailer is outstanding. Bring on August!

5. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks fantastic.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Just saw it. I'm already hooked.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I just watched the trailer with my five year old son and when it was done he asked me, "is that the new Star Wars?"

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The trailer didn't blow me away, but Batman and Robin level of silliness?! I have faith that Marvel will pull this movie off which is the only thing that has me "optimistic" about this movie.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

That trailer felt like a joke that wouldn't end. I'm not trying to be a humorless fanboy (like the ones who made Terminator Salvation) but the (awful) attempts at humor went on too long in that trailer. The action and FX looked good though.

10. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

This was my first real exposure to the material. It didn't grab my attention enough to make me want to pay to see it in a theater. Seemed too ... obscure is the best word I can come up with (but that's not quite a perfect fit). I will, however, look for a follow-up trailer and see if that improves my impression any.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

No doubt done on purpose but the comic itself it's too far afield of the comparisons at times either.

A coworker today told me he got a Firefly/Serenity vibe with actual aliens mixed in.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm a classic comics reader who's not familiar with this version of the GotG, but slightly familiar with some of the characters from older appearances. I'll probably go see this out of brand loyalty to Marvel Studios. If it were some generic property or even a Marvel film being made by another studio, I'd have no interest.

I predict that it will bomb with the general moviegoing audience.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

So apparently this was just a teaser? In that case, I take back what I said about not getting a feeling for the plot. Think about TDK teaser that featured no footage. Admittedly, it had cool dialog from Alfred and one of the few full Joker laughs from Ledger, but there was no sense of the plot.

ETA: And I'm saying that as someone who thinks that teaser was awesome. There's also the Star Trek teaser that was just some guy welding the Enterprise together and some soundbytes that weren't even from the movie.

14. Cato

Cato Lieutenant Commander

It's very frustrating. I love DC and I grew up with superfriends, Batman TAS, Justice Leauge. I stuck it out with 10 seasons of Smallville with a shitty 30 seconds of Superman. I put up with Superman Returns and Green Lantern. I was really happy with Man of Steel. I'm ready for a live action Worlds Finest or Justice, Flash, another Green Lantern. Hell, I'll even take Aquaman at this point, just something.

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Aquaman is awesome. :p

Alright, that kicked ass. :lol: Never read the comics but I'm definitely hooked by this first trailer.

Yeah, I was thinking Farscape myself.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I can see a lot of Farscape there actually

4.5M views already on Youtube, that's pretty good for less than 24 hours.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I would fucking *LOVE* an Aquaman movie.

The humor in this trailer "mostly" worked for me, I just hope any future trailers gives the movie more of the "serious" vibe or a vibe to better fit in with the rest of the MCU. Zoe Saldana looked great in this, though!

I'm likely to go see this no matter what because I trust Marvel at this point with pretty much anything but I'm still... dubious. But, again, I was with Iron Man and Thor as well, and I ended up loving those.

18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A bit of both Firefly/Serenity and Farscape in terms of feel...

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It, of course wasn't her, not really. She wasn't on set. That was as much her as Neytiri was. Which is a lot, but yet.. not. They are both animated characters.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Karen Gillan looks pretty cool in the half second they show her.

It doesn't help that I think of this when I hear that song from the trailer:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8[/yt]