Looking for books with space battles...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BobtheGunslinge, Dec 18, 2013.

1. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello, everyone.

I am looking for any books you can recommend that feature any decent starship battles or other space action. I've been in and out of Trek literature over the years, but it seems like there's been a ton of new, high quality material since I last read Trek.

Personally, I prefer the books that do not focus on TV series main characters, such as New Frontier, SCE, DTI and, hopefully Vanguard, which I haven't started yet. I am also really excited about all of the 24th century continuity post-Nemesis. I plan to read all the big arcs at some point, but for now I want spaceship pron.

(I just got into Star Trek Tactics, Fleet Captain and Attack Wing, so I would love something to keep me going between games, painting models and playing with pew-pew noises.)

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

2. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a space battle scene in The Art of the Impossible, one of the Lost Era novels, that has stuck with me. I don't remember how long it is but I do remember it jumped back and forth between both sides. And it focuses on non-tv characters. There's only that one space battle that I remember but I like the rest of the book as well.

Vanguard has a lot of action in it as well. That would probably be a good place to start.

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions is an epic and features space battles. One can read it without having to resort to prior novels if you are not easy to confuse.

4. j3067

j3067 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I highly suggest the Vanguard series. The USS Bombay's battle with the Tholians in the first book is probably one of my all time favorites. The series is also mainly focused on original characters, or characters that you did not see too much of on screen like Clark Terrell.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, Vanguard is where it's at. Amazing action sequences of all kinds abound.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Vendetta has a few good ones.

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Yeah, the first several chapters of The Art of the Impossible culminate in a battle between Cardassian and Klingon ships, and there are a few other space battles here and there throughout the rest of the book.

Thanks for the kind words, Ronny. :)

8. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

When will we have a full readable version of Battlecruiser Vengeance KRAD?

9. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I plan to read that one. For some reason, it wasn't listed as one of the IKS Gorkon books when I went to buy them all. (This was also before they were all out, so I need to pick up Burning House, too. Thanks for the reminder.) I really enjoyed the Gorkon books I've read, but the prospect of a meatier Klingon space battle has me salivating. Thanks for writing such great stuff!

@ everyone else, I've got the Vanguard books coming in, so thanks for the recommendations. I've added the other books to my wishlist, too. How much of the Mirror Universe do I need to read for Rise Like Lions? Also, is there a lot of starship action in the Destiny trilogy?

And I haven't read Vendetta since it came out, but I would love to own a model of the Planet killer.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Greater than the Sum has has an interesting one or two space battles.

11. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Definitely track down the Destiny trilogy. Some epic starship action and space battles in there.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

All Trek space battles I've read were pretty boring, told from the limited perspective of one of the characters. I like it when it's told from a much wider perspective, including (what in a film would be) exterior space shots.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's because it's not an IKS Gorkon book, it's a stand alone story under the The Lost Era banner. It's about The Bretreka Nebula Incident that Bashir and Garak mentioned in The Way of the Warrior.
    Here's the description:
    If you have any interest in Klingons, Cardassians, or the era between TOS and TNG you seriously need to read this book. It also features
    the Khitomer Attack, which makes it worth the price for any Worf fan.

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

You should also check out "Ragnarok" and "Ghost Of A Chance".