STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Ok... moving on...

How much will the movie make this weekend and next week?

It looks like it will get to 235 MM at the end of its run.

Am I right?

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The studio estimate for this weekend is $3 million, bringing the total so far to $216.6 million. $230-235 million looks like the end point.

The updated international gross is $213.4 million, putting the worldwide gross at just under $430 million. We could be looking at a final worldwide gross of about $470-480 million.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Domestic: $216,611,000
    + Foreign: $213,400,000
    —————————————-
    = Worldwide: $430,011,000
    Source: Box Office Mojo

Adjusted top ST movies:

STID: $430.011 million
    STTMP: $430 million
    ST09: $408 million

Yeah, the top ST movie ever really underperformed...

RAMA

4. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

And not taking into account studios "paying themselves" for renting soundstages, tax breaks...

That and you cannot tell me marketing and distribution of a film equals the budget of a film. That's plain stupid math.

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Depends on the domestic versus overseas profit margin, but yes, a third one's coming... :)

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Steven Soderbergh has been talking a lot lately about the financial state of the industry and how it's impacting what gets made. Here's one of the things he said recently:

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Fine with me. No hard feelings.

8. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I applaud the work of J. J. and the world attention he has brought to STID.
    Pine, Quinto, Zoe, Pegg and Cumberbatch won the attention of many people because of their performance.
    There will be more interested in Star Trek 3.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worldwide box office is at 430 million now.

International gross is only about three million shy of domestic, BTW. When do you think it'll pass it - this week, next week?

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Last week it made $5.5 million domestic and $12 million international. International should take the lead by the end of this week.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  11. Belz...

Well it has better legs than some more recent movies like Epic, Gatsby and After Earth. I'm surprised Now You See Me is still that strong, however.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

STID was sold to FX channel...ST09 made $30 million from it's sale, anyone want to bet STID made more?? Tack that on to the $430 million it's made already ($470-480 million)

RAMA

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, I'm sure they've also made money on Product endorsements, that haven't been backed out of the Budget number being used. And, although there aren't a lot of toys, I'm sure what licensing they have allowed has also brought them in dollars that aren't reflected in what the movie is making.

14. Belz...

Pfft... are you trying to convince us that Trek isn't dead and that they're actually going to make another one ? ;)

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The amount FX pays for the TV rights is based on a percentage of domestic box office, so STID will make a little less than Star Trek, but it'll still be a good amount. The license fee FX pays is 10-12% of the ultimate domestic gross.

Edit to add: the weekend actual is $3,166,709 for $216,777,625 so far.

16. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

OK, what does someone here think of this article, says maybe Into Darkness isn't "enough of a hit" for Paramount (btw I loved STID, so do hope for another nuTrek movie, but fyi for reference in case anyone's interested): http://io9.com/whats-the-future-of-star-trek-after-into-darkness-510291083

PS BTW it's been pointed out to me that this article is from 5/29, but since we do know now that STID will not reach the domestic BO that ST2009 did (and supposedly "studios still care about domestic gross a lot"), perhaps the points brought up are still relevant, or at least something to consider.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I really don't think they are going to change course after gaining so much in international markets where Trek has traditionally been weak.

Could they? Sure. But it doesn't make sense not to do a third film especially when pre-orders for the Blu-ray are through the roof.

I really think the film's struggles simply come down to timing.

18. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That author has it in for nuTrek, I wouldn't listen to her.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That article makes a lot of noise over nothing. The film will end up among the top ten domestic grossing films of the year and will have the highest international gross of a Star Trek film ever. In terms of overall box office, a Star Trek movie has never done better. A Bad Robot produced sequel is inevitable.

The same author also reviewed the movie with the headline "Star Trek Into Dumbness." In light of that, her latest article appears to be less analysis than wish fulfillment.

20. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Ok, guys, thanks, but I just wondered if the author had some "professional" knowledge of how movies are considered "hits" or not, for example she wrote an article in 2011 called "How much money does a movie need to make to be profitable": http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable. I do hope Paramount will want to make another Trek movie, especially for 2016.