Did Janeway finish her Jane Austin Holonovel?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know we didn't see it.

But in her spare time, while the camera crew were on a fag break?

How long did it take?

How many of Kathy's adventures were effected by taking the time to change out of period costume?

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Maybe Voyager was commanded by assorted holo-Janeways who have kept the real Janeway locked away somewhere on the holodeck? This could be the reason for her purported eratic characterization over the 7 year journey.

3. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

If I had a holo-Mr. Darcy, I would never leave the holodeck.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never quite got what the appeal was for Janeway in that holonovel. Okay she did have a romantic streak and was also very into history but couldn't it have been something a little more.. lively? Or perhaps life was lively enough.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe she deliberately choice a "dull" story, for the quiet time.

:)

6. Guy Gardener

This is how in the modern day one finds themself reading a book... A friend says "read this, it's fantastic" and we do.

but in an age of digital copies, which is also right now, where you lose nothing when sharing your dearest, you don't have to worry about assholes who never return a book leant.

I hate it when reprobates look me in the eye when they're holding my books hostage, but you can see that they have no memory of borrowing my property and no intention of returning them if they did, because it's too much of an effort to scurry for what is mine, in the attics or basements of their houses they've been buried and hidden.

We want our friends to read what we read so they can know joy like we know joy, so we can be the same and bound in the words that made those pages, that if they agree how we agree that we can trust them, because they are us.

But heres the pickle.

To hate a book someone gives you is to hate that person who gave you that book, since it defines who they are.

Often.

One has to keep reading a shitty book, a dull book, a wrong book because you might be 5 pages from when the story turns around and pinches your interest and you do not have to unfriend this person on facebook because they have no taste and no depth.

I'm not being ridiculous.

This is how the Crusades started.

7. Miss Lemon

Jane Austen not lively enough?! But, but... think about the brooding gentlemen, the secret glances, the endless pining, the thrill of accidental touches, the repressed sexuality... :mallory:

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Jane Austen, sci-fi nerd, who knew?

9. Guy Gardener

There's new comic book on the shelves right now...

Pride and prejudice and Zombies

[​IMG]

Soon to be major motion picture staring Natalie Portman.

[​IMG]

10. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

We might have actually had that on Voyager. Of all the countless times the holodeck went wonky, why couldn't it have merged Janeway's gothic romance novel with Tom's classic horror - one minute you're seducing Lord Somethingorother, the next you're fleeing the undead. [​IMG]

What about that Irish holo-boyfriend of hers?

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's hardly new. It came out in 2009. It's pants.

12. Miss Lemon

It's not a comic either. :p

13. Guy Gardener

It was just a book first.

A lot of comics were books first.

A lot of movies were books and/or comics first too.

There's a food chain here that goes both ways.

The book is pants? Good to know. I assumed the comics were pants Dekerd, but the covers were memorable.

2009 still seems like tomorrow sometimes.

In my heart I know that 2009 is and always will be the ridiculously distant future.

I was watching Mission Impossible 4 last night and they had smartglass on the car Tom Cruise was driving, and I thought to myself, hey... That's probably real. Which is when I wondered if I was wrong to think that smartglass was special effects in Minority Report? Had smartglass always been real, or had someone invented smartglass inbetween Minority Report and Mission Impossible 4?

Any technology more complicated than a coffee vending machine will eventually try to kill us and take over the world.

14. teacake

I still have my copy of Wuthering Heights I borrowed from my high school library 5000 years ago.

And yes Miss Lemon you are quite right in your analysis of the liveliness of Austen. I know Mulgrew played Janeway with a lot of innuendo and personal commentary running alongside the story lines (by which I mean, she was a good actor who had a view of her character as a whole person not just a Trek person). I think she, she being some kind of Mulgrew/Janeway composite in my mind would really enjoy some downtime with Austen.

Oh see what google told me, KM recommending Austen and the Brontes:

http://www.totallykate.com/milan/milan5.html

[​IMG]

15. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The holonovel that Janeway was participating in was a gothic novel along the lines of one of the Bronte sisters. They were written in the Victorian era and influenced by Romanticism. Jane Austen is a product of the Napoleonic and Georgian eras. It was much more austere. Though her books are still lively as Miss Lemon and teacake have stated. For the record I think Janeway would be a fan of both. Indeed the above article about Mulgrew in Italy shows her interest in both(all four) authors.
    I also feel that Jane Austen is more difficult to recreate faithfully, maybe why we only saw Janeway in a gothic holonovel.

"End of mini English lit lecture" sorry, I used to be an English teacher

16. Guy Gardener

Oh.

Teacake.

I though you were

A little younger

Than that.

17. teacake

Young enough to never read Wuthering Heights? No, thank goodness :lol:

18. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps the dodgy Romantic novel - which Austen satirised - is more appropriate to Voyager, with its regular forays into bathos and melodrama.

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Didn't Capt Katie suddenly get distracted by Maestro DaVinci and drop the Austen like a bad date? Fickle thing. Mind you, I did find all that brooding bodice stuff a bit tedious. Might have been fun with Q in though :p

20. teacake

Oh I agree there. Northanger Abbey was always my favorite Austen. Just the reactions of the Trek folk when confronted by the mores of centuries past in holo characters makes the whole thing more of a satire.