Babylon 5 - I'm finally going to do it

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Jul 9, 2009.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

When Ivanova said she would say the mourner's kaddish in English for the benefit of Sinclair I can't help but feel what she really meant was "for the benefit of our non-Jewish, non-Hebrew speaking viewers"

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, they could have used subtitles. ;)

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

You don't have to wave a flag over every little piece of foreshadowing. It sort of ruins the point.

4. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

shouldn't those "duhn's" be in spoiler code :D

5. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

the minbari didn't appear to use INTERLAC (or english) in their ceremony. but then, sinclair is her boss...

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, you're the one who brought it up. I was just adding ... "ambiance."

7. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

actually, that was Neroon.

bad, bad Neroon :devil:
    but then, who watches the watchers... :confused:

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Nuthin bad or spoilery about it. Simply a teaser to whet the appetite...... ;)

9. tomalak301

Grail

I honestly don't know what to say about this one. At first I didn't really get what the plot was supposed to be, such as was it about this guy coming to the station looking for the Holy Grail or a coward gaining redemption. I guess it was a combination of both, but it was quite average. There were two scenes I loved though that helped boost it up good:

1) Londo to Vir: With people like you the whole Cintauri Republic will Efficient itself to Extinction :guffaw:

2) The ending with Sinclair, Ivanova, and Mike talking about the Babylon Curse and Ivanova going "boom." Some foreshadowing perhaps. ;)

Oh, and before anyone asks, I did recognize David Warner, the same guy who did Evek (Probably his best Trek character), the holy guy from Star Trek 5 (Talbot? ) and Gorkon.

10. tomalak301

Eyes

Well, I'm glad we haven't heard the last of Bester (I knew we hadn't, but going through these episodes, there's been quite a few surprises already) and this episode was pretty good. It reminded me too much of TNG's Drumhead though, and I thought Picard did it better than Sinclair. Still, the Ivanova story was always great (She has really improved as the season has progessed) and I didn't know Jeffrey Combs was on Babylon 5. That's awesome. Also liked Garibaldi and the Bike and it was great to see Linner do something. Now where is Talia Winters. This being a Psy-Corps episode I thought she would be there.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  11. tomalak301

Legacies

I think of the episodes I saw tonight, this one was the best. We got a lot of good juicy stuff on the Minbari (And other than the war, those other things like the culture have been kinda lacking this season) and I think it set up the Season finale, since that episode is titled Chrysalis. I liked Neroon and seeing the two great leaders at the end was a nice touch.

As for the Alyssa story, I think one of the bad things about watching all these episodes in a short time is things are starting to get repetitive. I mean in the previous episode, we had Ivanova just be really angry and hateful and she should be. Well, she was kind of this way again. I know it's the character, but it's come to the point now where it's like "We know you hate Psy-corps, what else is new." I guess having her be a sarrogate mother to the girl was nice, for what it was.

Also, I've noticed G'Kar being quite absent in the last three episodes. I guess this was the time where Katsulas was filming All Good Things...

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Season 1 Ivanova was really repetitive. I'm pretty sure by the end of Season 1 all you know about her is 1) she hates PsiCorps and 2) she's Russian. For a while, I was pretty sure that was all she was capable of talking about.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

A part of the problem was that season 1's airing order (which I'm reasonably sure is the DVD's order) was shifted around quite a bit for some reason I don't rightly recall. So you end up with thematically similar episodes appearing in succession when they're supposed to be much more spaced out.

For example I think this part of the season was supposed ot go: -
    'Babylon Squared' -> 'Legacies' -> 'Grail' -> 'Signs and Portents' -> 'TKO' -> 'Eyes' -> 'The Quality of Mercy' -> 'Chrysalis'

That is according to the official chronology, anyway. Thankfully the episodes are mostly self contained so showing them out of order doesn't affect continuity and later as the show became more serialised the broadcast order had to be more in line with the events on the show.
    One day I might try watching the first season in chronological order, but it'd take an awful lot of disc swapping!

14. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

tomalak, one of the est resources tohave while you're watching the series is The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5. Among other things, it had guide pages for each individual episode. On those pages you can find a wealth of information without spoiling yourself for future episodes. And there are warnings if what you're about to read does contain spoilage. One of the links somewhere on the site does show the original broadcast schedule. Even so, each guide page will show you the original air date just in case.
    Found it!

Incidentally, regarding David Warner, have you ever watched "Tron"? There are two other B5 alumni who appear in the film as well, one who is obvious, and one who isn't so.

15. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

Neroon, "Perhaps there was some small wisdom in letting your people live."
    Sinclair, "We like to think so."
    i think talia was mostly useless to the show.

16. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Could be. But it might also be because for the first season especially, the number of episodes for Katsulas and Jurasik were contracted for may have been much smaller than in subsequent seasons. JMS has mentioned on occasion that he had to keep a chart so he knew which actors would be available to him. Makes sense, considering how large the pool of 'main' characters was and how small the budget was.

Jan

17. tomalak301

And her father died, that's come up a few times.

I know about that guide. I've been the that site a few times and it's a great source of B5 information. Consider it bookmarked. :)

18. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Alyssa - Bless her heart but that little actress was dreadful. :rommie:

However, this is the point where B5 realy took of for me and I knew I was in for the long haul. If her acting did not scare me away, what would? :vulcan:

19. tomalak301

I saw Tron, but it was so long ago, like Early 90s. I probably should watch it again, especially if what I hear about the remake is true.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Remake? I thought we were getting a straight sequel called "TR2N."