Borg's Assimilation Tendencies

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ketracel, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ketracel

Ketracel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've never understood why the Borg "ignore" those that are not a threat to them when just a minute ago, that same person was being attacked by them or attacking them.

A good example would be the First Contact film where Picard and crew are being attacked or ignored at different times.

Why would the Borg not reach out and zap them when they aren't "a threat"? Doesn't make much sense.

Is this another one of those lazy writer's techniques to heighten suspense? you know, like when the shields can at different times allow for transport but other times because the shields are "up" transport can not be used?

:confused:

2. Sheliak

Sheliak Commodore Commodore

I believe it has something to do with the introduction of the Queen and Picard's previous encounter.

3. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stupid writing. That's always the problem with why the Borg never win. They made a concept that was essentially perfect in theory, so they have to make the Borg stupid so they could have another episode of Star Trek next week... :rolleyes:

4. Rhody the Ram

Rhody the Ram Commander Red Shirt

I agree. But from a "trek science" point of view, I think the logic is that the Borg don't want to "waste" resources to assimilate someone when there is no imminent need. If they have a full crew, they won't bother spending the time to assimilate (including outfitting the new borg with the electronic appendages).

Though logic would say that after BOBW, the Borg aught to have known that humans on board leads to bad outcomes, and they should have attacked on sight.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If we're to accept the Borg's insect/hive nature then like insects they just don't attack unless they're under threat.

A bee or spider won't sting/bite you unless it perceives you as a threat.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

To compare the Borg to insects too closely would mean to establish that the Borg do not think forward at all. Insects can afford that, because their threat environment does not change: their current modus operandi is valid against known threats, and has evolved to be so through several million years. But the Borg live in a more dynamic threat environment than that.

Of course, one would assume that all of the enemies of the Borg would have attempted beaming aboard the Cubes at one point or another. And the Borg have had thousands of years to adapt to that. So perhaps it is essentially harmless to let the potential opponents wander about? From the point of view of the entire Collective, I mean. Perhaps it's lesser evil to let a Drone or dozen be slaughtered or a Cube be blown up than to devote resources to intruder control?

After all, the Borg seem to learn mainly by reacting, by assimilating, by waiting for the enemy to make a move. If the enemy is not allowed to make a move, the Borg are deprived of key intelligence.

This doesn't really explain clear-cut self-defense situations such as ST:FC where the local, isolated Borg team should have been thinking of its own safety rather than the Collective good. Granted that they probably couldn't fathom how Picard and Sloane could do any harm even if let to wander, and granted that they had designs for Picard, but they should at this point have learned to expect the unexpected from Picard and his fellow Feds.

Timo Saloniemi

7. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Part of it could be the Borg feeling that a few individuals are insignificant, at least compared to a full-on assault.

Because of the nature of the Borg, it can be said that they 'evolved' from the first Federation encounter in 'Q, Who?' to the most recent appearance in 'Endgame (VOY)'. I know that one of the recent ST books (Greater than the Sum) explains the change in the interior design of the Borg cubes from TNG to VOY.

8. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

[quote/] I agree. But from a "trek science" point of view, I think the logic is that the Borg don't want to "waste" resources to assimilate someone when there is no imminent need. If they have a full crew, they won't bother spending the time to assimilate (including outfitting the new borg with the electronic appendages).

Though logic would say that after BOBW, the Borg aught to have known that humans on board leads to bad outcomes, and they should have attacked on sight.[/quote]

Yea I think they only assimilate if that is the task at hand. But in first contact the task was to stop first contact. I think they will also only assimilate if they think they can gain something fromt he species either intellecutally/technologically or Biologically.

9. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I noticed that in many cases where the Feds enter a Borg ship, a single drone goes right by or through them. Perhaps that is a test to see if the intruders are an immediate threat. Also with the high number Borg packed into every ship, I'm sure that the intruders are being watched at all times so the Collective is aware of what they are doing.