REMASTER THE ENTIRE DEEP SPACE NINE SERIES.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Bones1864, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Bones1864

Bones1864 Admiral

The entire series of Deep Space Nine Episodes should be Remastered.
    It would be aggreable to see the " Battle of Wolf 359" and the destruction of the Starship Saratoga in greater detail. With today's CGI the battle would have and should have more starships whizzing around etc,.
    Seeing more spaceships and even starships in the season 1 thru 3 episodes woudl make the show more fun and " Starfleet " like. The battles with the Klingons and the Runabouts could be tweaked. It would be cool to see always a Runabout in space above the Space Station in exterior shots of DS9 itself.
    At the end of the show the Defiant 2 could be redone to make the ship look different. I don't think anyone saw the impact of DVD box set sales when the show ended. It would make DVD sales go through the roof.

2. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We need to digitially, er, 'enhance' Lumba as well.

You know what I mean. ;)

Because I sure don't. :confused:

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Remaster the entire Deep Space Nine series

Sorry, but Deep Space Nine doesn't need any remastering! It's effects hold up beautifully, at least IMHO. And then again, DS9 never was about the effects in the first place; it's about the stories ...

4. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, but not now. It isn't necessary now and DS9's effects are the best among the ST series anyway. They will probably not need to change them dramatically, but getting rid of reused footage and adding some ships here and there would sure be sweet.
    Of course it will happen when HD is a necessity, but that can wait.
    We have seen how CBS has handled the TOSR project and I don't want that to happen to DS9, where ALOT more FX have to be handled.

As for my wishlist:
    - The final battle (which is mostly reused from "sacrifice of Angels" and "Tears of the Prophets")
    - The Odo FX, which were top notch at its time, could need some tweaking

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, if the series ever goes to HD, they'll have to at least re-render the effects in a higher resolution. But I felt the effects were some of the best in all of Star Trek, so no need to redo them creatively.

6. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

yeah, the biggest "problem" is probably reused footage. We even got the infamous "Angel One" matte again ("Dax"):lol:

7. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

Yeah, why I don't see the immediate need for a remastering job on DS9 (I'd hope they'd do TNG first because it definitely needs it more!), there were reused ship shots (i.e. it seemed that the same 11 or 12 ships were always in orbit around DS9!).

There were others too, and as was mentioned, I think the earlier seasons are in much more need of it than the latter ones.

TeutonicNights brought up the best point so far I think: Odo's shifting effects. They were utter crap in earlier seasons! To be honest, I was never satisfied with them at all (even in season seven). I realize they are difficult effects shots, but I'd love to see them redone.

8. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

When they Remaster DS9 give Morn a luxurious full head of hair in the beginning that gradually thins out until it's all gone by the time of "Who Mourns For Morn?". How's THAT for foreshadowing!

Robert

9. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

It bugs me that remastering discussions focus so much on the effects. The real benefit would be getting the show into HD so you can see the actors better. It bugs me that what was considered high-tech video editing in the 1990s ultimately led to all the 24th Century shows looking fuzzy compared to film-based TOS and HD-shot ENT.

10. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, the battle WAS more complex originally. It was changed when the writers decided to make the scene occur during the openning skirmishes of the battle. They filmed a bigger battle, but it's never been released. I don't know how much they completed or how big it was.

11. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

^
    I'd heard about that footage. Could it have been used in the Voyager episode Unity? In that we saw footage of Klingon ships engaging a Borg cube, and I find it hard to believe the FX guys would have done all that just one episode of Voyager.

12. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Memory Alpha lists footage from "The Way of the Warrior" as having been used in the episode, so I'd guess that's where the Klingon ships came from.

13. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

14. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think DS9 needs remastering. I agree that it would be nice to have some of the stock footage replaced in the final battle but that's about it. I found the effects were good if not great most of the time.

I recently rewatched "Let he who is without sin..." which made me think: Actually, DVD or HD-DVD/Blue-Ray releases WITHOUT certain episodes would be really nice. I know you can skip them but at times I think it would be even cooler if just got kicked out :D

15. Kegek

^
    Nah, I think they should be left in for completeness sake. If you want to skip; skip.

But maybe CGI could be used to improve the episode. Get photorealistic CGI of the actors and bring them in to record new lines that'll make it suck less!

16. MyCylon

^
    :lol: Hey, CGI can do A LOT but don't you think fixing "Let he who is without sin" is asking a little too much? ;)

17. Kegek

^
    Cut half the episode and replace it with a non-stop action setpiece beween Worf and a Jem'Hadar?

There. Problem solved. :)

18. MyCylon

^
    I like the idea of Worf vs. Jem'Hadar - can't we simply replace the entire episode while we're at it?

19. Kegek

^
    'Let He Who Is Without Sin...' Deluxe Combat Edition! :)

Now, how about 'Profit and Lace'? Lumba hitting Brunt over the head with nunchuks?

20. MyCylon

^
    You know, this might make for an interesting box set...