DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9 million was the budget for the whole project, not just season one.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

3. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I agree, this does make the project seem a lot more feasable. Makes me wonder why they are dragging their feet about DS9 and Voyager so much? For 9 million per series it can't be that huge a risk of an investment surely?

4. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

9 million per series does sound very feasable to me too, and makes me more optimistic that they can make their money back on DS9 and VOY blu rays.

5. FrontierTrek

I never said 9 million per series. TNG had a 9 million budget. Any budget for DS9 or Voyager would automatically be higher due to the seriously increased workload from re-doing the CG.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't I read somewhere that they don't have to redo all the CGI? That a lot of the scenes were still on a back-up owned by one of the old artists of the company who did the CGI?

Or am I misremembering now?

7. Jefferies

Is that really a forgone conclusion? DS9 doesn't make the full switch to CGI until season 6. Furthermore, the price would surely depend on the quality of the CGI. It doesn't have to be state of the art if that would be the thing that prevented them from doing it at all. Also wont several aspects of the remastering be cheaper a second time round? They must have streamlined and gotten more efficient with TNG. A nother cost cutting factor is that it will be 3 years down the line from when they started TNG so rendering power will be cheaper. Thus, I think if budgeted wisely they could probably pull something off at a similar price tag if not less.

8. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's funny about Netflix - just about every time I search it for a movie, I get back "not available for streaming," but available on disc.

While I refuse to pay more for discs-in-the-mail rental, I will and do buy blurays. I don't think streaming can match its quality. And when it comes to movies and shows I like, and will watch again, I want to physically own it and not have to rely on a streaming service that may or may not have it, may or may not work, may or may not be available, that I have to pay for monthly, etc.

If TNG sales are needed to greenlight a DS9 bluray effort - I'd be worried about that. I don't know how the sales have been, but availability has been awful. And while prior seasons got some promotion, with Target offering combo deals with the standalone releases (S3+BoBW, S4+Redemption), I did not see Season 5 get anything like that. Retailers seem to be poo-pooing the TNG bluray releases.

I never had TNG on DVD so am happily and eagerly buying the bluray releases right as they come out. The apparent markdowns on release weeks have been good - season 5 is now about $20 more than I paid for it.

BBC American airs TNG a lot. I watch it in HD, but the episodes clearly aren't HD. I can't watch it after having seen the bluray versions.

I also don't have DS9 on disc at all. I'd like to watch it again - I watched it all as it aired, but it's the series I remember the least, so many would feel like first-viewing again, which would be fun. But I'm not buying DVDs anymore.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If DS9 went all-CGI in the last couple of seasons, then why does the second Defiant still have the original NX-74205 registry? Don't tell me it would have broken the bank to just fix that one thing. How important can "stock footage" still be, in the age of universal CGI?

At least they can, conceivably, fix this in DS9-R.

10. FrontierTrek

You most likely read that at my article on DS9 HD a while back. Yes, that's true - a lot are. But accounting for everything? That's a tough job. Plus, the stuff they do have - what state is it in? Is it complete? Which elements are missing? How easy are they to recreate? What holds up? What needs to be re-textured?

There are so many unknowns and so many potential problems. It ain't an easy proposition!

Yes, it's a forgone conclusion.

True, they've become so much more streamlined, and the everyday scanning and building of episodes along with compositing and "basic" CG is not a problem. But again, DS9's CG is NOT basic. The problem isn't in creating something at the same difficulty level, the problem is MATCHING the CG that was already done.

Definitely a higher budget. Without any doubts.

It didn't go ALL CG. It went 95% CG. They still used physical models, right up to the last episode. Mostly, it's a mish-mash. Again, this makes things very complicated.

11. FrontierTrek

Actually that's incorrect.

Enterprise's FX were rendered at a variety of resolutions, from 480 to 720 to 1080.

12. FrontierTrek

I appreciate the comments, Joe. The "shill game" may work short term, but I tend to think that if I just say everything's "wonderful" when it clearly isn't, then any journalistic integrity quickly evaporates. Hence the reason you won't see us copy/pasting press releases on Star Trek dog accessories, shower curtains or wine glasses!!

The whole concept with TrekCore is to *avoid* the mindless hype. I got so sick of reading copy/paste press releases on the big fan sites - I'd much rather go the extra mile to cover something properly, and produce an article which I - as a fan - would enjoy reading.

Yes! BOBW screencaps will be coming soon, along with the companion article from our partners at EAS.

Yep. Star Trek is CBS's tentpole property. Of course they want it in HD, they'd be crazy not to. It will get there - the question is just when and how.

Absolutely. The team there is incredible, and beyond that - a genuinely nice group of people to be around. They care about the fans, they want to do the best they can, and they don't stop until they get as close to "perfect" as they're allowed to with the constraints of time and money.

13. Jefferies

I'm really greatful for all you insightful comments to our questions Frontier! These days it seems like you are the only one who manages to draw out any real new information about the ongoing development of the franchise. All your work and effort is a real gift for all the rest of us!

14. Jefferies

I really hope then they will make DS9 and Voyager happen before this team and all their Star Trek remastering specific expertise splits up and everyone moves on to other projects. We saw how things go wrong when the work is left to other people with TNG season 2 and to some extent 4 as well.

15. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG seemed to be rolled into the big 25th Anniversary hoopla. DS9 has a 25th coming up in 2018; so they could have that in the back of their head.

16. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is the kind thing I'm referring to specifically:

Michael Okuda: Buy TNG Blu-ray sets to get DS9 on Blu-ray!

Michael Okuda: Visual FX in TNG yr 2 by HTV are excellent, very faithful to original, with a hint of extra polish thx to topnotch team. Watch Blus and see.

Not to single out MO, but that second statement in particular coming as blatant damage control when the dodgy TNG S2 preview screencaps began to come in cost him a lot of credibility in by eyes. The Okudas certainly add a lot to the VAM of these releases (I particularly enjoy their text commentaries), but their role as paid spokespeople leaves a bad taste. Again, pointing out the quality VAM is one thing, but blindly covering up for slipshod remastering work is quite another. I can't believe the Okudas ever sat in a screening room with those S2 transfers -- either that or they figured Trek fans will buy anything regardless of quality.

17. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure if what this guy says is true about the file he acquired (or if he just created it himself) but this scene looks awesome in HD. I'd get the BD if this is the quality we are looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw-a0I-XA7Q

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This video has come up before, but where do you see any claims that he acquired the file from an official source?

19. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I saw it in one of the comments. That's where I got it from so that's why I wasn't sure.

20. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I see this random comment that must be what you saw. I'm pretty sure it's an incomplete thought...

That's either saying he thought it looked official or the commenter is kind of incoherently rambling and is referring to the sample 1080p renders that TrekCore posted from Rob Bonchune. That comment was posted 10-days after TrekCore's article went up.

EDIT: In fact that very video is in the comments to TrekCore's article.
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

According to further comments it says the person does indeed have access to the original files.

His second re-render is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJs0-hhOZFQ

Still would like to see that claim substantiated somehow... It seems like maybe he's in contact with Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz.

Dave Clark is IRML's real world name, not a name I see in relation to Foundation Imaging.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013