FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC the transporter effect exists on 35mm too, as it was captured from Dan Curry shaking some silver pom-poms. Hopefully they'll be able to exactly replicate the effect in HD.

2. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought I remember them saying it was glitter swirled about in an aquarium. Either way, I'm open to this being changed also to being a more '3-D' effect, as it appeared in the TNG movies. Not changing the actual effect, just making the particles themselves appear more three-dimensional.

Phasers, I hope they add light reflections to the ship's hull for those, and make the shields look more energy-like when struck by weaponry. Tractor beams could use sprucing up too.

And, like many others, I hope that we see more than just a hundred Excelsiors and Miranda class ships - how about Constitution, New Orleans, Centaur, Challenger, Cheyenne, Freedom, Niagara, Norway, Saber, Shelley, Springfield, and Steamrunner? Starfleet is more than 3 ship classes!

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Re: Ent-D physical vs CGI modeling for new VFX

Hey guys! Haven't posted here in forever, but I just learned of the Blu-Ray release. Amazing news, especially since many f us thought the technical hurdles would prevent it from ever happening.

Re: above, the one thing that always bugged me when the remade the E-D in CGI (whether it be in TATV or even in video/computer games) was that the saucer impulse engines are always lit up red.

In the series, they were NEVER lit up unless the saucer was separated. I hope they stay true to the series version and keep those suckers off!

:cool:

4. Mott the barber

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

I am 99% sure that none of the aft stations on the E-D during the series ever had live video playing on them (except, as mentioned, on the battle bridge in BOBW pt. 2). In fact, if you watch the DVDs, often times (especially in the earlier seasons 1-2) you can see black squares placed over where the screens should be in order to keep the stage light reflections off the "screens."
    The close ups, as mentioned, were all edited in post production.

5. Mott the barber

I should read the whole thread first...

Okay I'm 90% sure. ;)

Good catch.:techman:

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I thought back to this today when I rewatched "Trials and Tribble-ations" (I know, different show, but the point stands). When they shots are of Sisko in front of the window in his office, there are so few stars it is unbelievable. Unfortunately, I don't think the old starfield backdrop really works anymore - hopefully for scenes against the space backdrop, they can edit in a lot more stars, et al.

7. JJohnson

Hopefully the screws holding the boards up can be digitally edited out, and the overlaid 'active graphics' can be more realistically overlaid to look as if it were really there.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So aside from the music idea which I mentioned that I quite like...I thought of an extra that would nice...I know that there are a lot of short extras on the DVDs about the production, but what I'd like to see is a really long, official, in-depth documentary on the making of the series....they could edit together a lot of the previous footage and probably come up with something decent, but I'd really like to maybe see a new documentary that had a lot of the behind the scenes people discussing it, from writing to editing.

Edit: I JUST saw something else I'd want to tweak....at Picard's voice-over at the beginning of Farpoint...the ship comes towards the screen, it looks as if we will fly directly through the window in a continuous shot...but the model jumps to a scene filmed on a sound-stage with Picard looking out the window. Now this is just the sort of scene a computer is great at, and couldn't be done effectively back then on a tv budget.

9. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be a nice touch, but unless the physical set window matches up precisely with the ship model to allow a simple transitional fade/zoom effect to be done, it would mean creating a CGI model of the Enterprise, either for the entire shot (which would be a shame, because it's a brilliant model shot) or to blend into the end of the existing shot without it looking like it changes.

I wouldn't be against such a thing, though. It would nicely mirror the opening shot of TOS (The Cage), and I'm all for that.

10. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's the clip, by the way: http://youtu.be/lfTXYoKcjgc?t=2m18s

It would probably need to be sped up a bit (or cut shorter) because it would have to match the timing of the original. I can't see that happening, sadly.

11. JJohnson

Oh, you are absolutely right! I remember seeing The Menagerie in theaters, and that shot was amazing!! That is now on the list!

Mike Okuda, anyone else involved with TNG Remastered, please consider this seriously!

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, and why does Picard have to do the same stupid two-finger-pointing gesture every time he says "Engage!"? They should CGI it so sometimes he flips his hand, like Kirk, or gives the helmsman the bird. In fact, why have him say "Engage!" all the time, too? After twenty-five years, the fans are bored of that. They should get an impression artist to come in and loop over Picard's lines, so sometimes he says, "Punch it!" or "Let's burn rubber, baby!" or "Pedal to the metal!"

You know, change things up a bit. If I'm going to be buying a digitally remastered version of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the last thing I want to see is Star Trek: The Next Generation.

13. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like that idea, but why have an impressionist do it? Just lift the dialogue from another film and lay it right in there. That would be sweet!

14. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Lol...

15. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the CGI is too expensive they can always edit in scenes from the X-Men films...

16. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:
    Thanks for the laugh.

They could loop in Kirk's line from the end of CotEoF: "Let's get the hell out of here."

Doug

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yup, and I also hope that Best of Both Worlds winds up on the big screen for a limited engagement.:)

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Funny...but still, the finger pointing isn't an effect...we're talking about FX here that don't significantly change the story, but could be used for variety's sake...much like TOS-R added new bases and a Romulan BoP to the Kilingon D7s they were using. Still...if they use mostly original footage, I doubt any of these changes will be made, unless they go full CGI after the sampler disc.

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That would be sweet!

20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aha, but then people would have to deal with the second part, where shots of Worf and Data firing at Borg drones were recycled from the first. Tougher to sneak by than the shots of the Enterprise firing and being fired upon that were also recycled.

Mark