First Contact: Sphere's weapons = pathetic.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Borg Queen, May 28, 2007.

1. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been saying THAT ever since the film first came out! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Actually, there's a good reason not to time travel, then head to your destination. Since time moves at different rates depending on your speed, and since everything in the universe is moving at its own speed, time does not flow at the exact same rate at different places in the universe.

The Borg could've gone back three hundred twenty years in the Delta quadrant, but when they got to Earth, they might've found they'd only gone back two hundred seventy years. Or they'd overshot, and gone back to the 20th century (why not? Everyone else was). Since they had a very specific target, they'd only be able to get the precision they wanted by going back at their destination.

Going back in time elsewhere would also increase the likelihood that they'd change history unintentionally on their way.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That explains it!

Those were just signal flares!

:lol:

It was the best "weapon" they had.

4. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the explanation I like the best:

The power needed to create a time vortex took up about 99% of the sphere's power, leaving its shields burnt out and its weapons running on extreme low power. And possibly with structural damage. Remember, the Ent-E got a free ride and it was pretty beat up too. I'd say neigther ship made it through with shields.

As Picard said, "They knew their ship was doomed." The sphere may have been on the verge of collapse before it was hit by the Ent-E torpedoes.

It's possible the Borg method of generating time vortexs has a very high failure rate, explaining why they don't always try time travel.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Or then the Borg got exactly what they wanted: the bombardment was merely a means of luring Picard and his Chief Engineer to Montana, where they would "repair" the crazy tin can of a madman into a working warpship and thus help create the utterly unlikely Federation which in 200 years would provide such bountiful pickings for the Borg.

Or then the Borg really were off to kill Cochrane and destroy his ship, but they were discreet and wanted to use weaponry that could be mistaken for 21st century ECON ordnance. It would do the job in an hour or two, without suggesting extraterrestrial intervention.

As for time travel hurting the time traveler, it could be argued that the E-E lost her shields and sensors when the Borg tractor beam hit her, much like the E-D shields were always drained by Borg beams. There's no dialogue to indicate that the damage would be the result of time travel, to be sure.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Computer

Computer Captain Captain

Folks I think your all overlooking some very real possibilities:

1. The Queen wanted to visit Montana during her vacation but before she could file for a visa the Federation Starfleet shows up and blows her ship to hell.

2. They tavelled to the future and discovered a tiny little Fed ship would whip their ass in another few years and said "F that" and tried to stop Voyager from being launched by preventing the Fed.

7. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

eh, I don't like any of those explanations. I think the Borgy-ball was trying to blow Cochrane up real good. :D

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Or yet again, the Borg greatly underestimated humanity...

9. Timo

Or vice versa. After all, if the Borg truly failed, wouldn't they try again? That's sort of inherent in time travel.

Queen: "My brilliant plan is to erase the Federation by tampering with their past. I will execute it tomorrow. I definitely will."

<waits>

<cybernetically augmented crickets chirp>

Queen: "Oh, well, apparently I didn't succeed. Okay, so my NEXT plan is to try even harder with erasing the Federation by tamperi... Wait, what am I saying? What is 'Federation'? Ah, no matter. Let's move on to the next item. Assimilation of Earth. You say it's a primitive world not worth tuppence?"

Drone #74656: "Indeed, my liege. Shall we proceed anyway?"

Queen: "Sure. In 6,300 years or so, when they have evolved enough. Do they have any interesting neighbors?"

Timo Saloniemi

10. Peach Wookiee

^Or maybe the Borg Queen assimilated Pinky and the Brain...
    "What are we going to do tonight, Queen?"
    "The same thing we do every night, Pinky... try to assimilate humanity."

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Locutus?"
    "I think so, Seven, but if I married Pippi Longstocking, think what the children would look like!"

12. Peach Wookiee

13. Kirkunit

Kirkunit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I thought the sphere was pretty wimpy. Though it could be argued that it's purpose was to distract the E until the Borg were all on board.

What really gets me is that bullets can kill Borg. :wtf: Upon this revelation, why isn't every replicator on the E set to AK-47?

14. Timo

ANYTHING can kill the Borg. More specifically, anything can kill two Borg Drones before they adapt. Even familiar things like standard phasers, as VOY amply demonstrated. It's the third Drone one should worry about...

Borg Drones don't travel pre-adapted; apparently they prefer to die first, in order to analyze what kind of weapons the enemy is wielding, until selecting the appropriate countermeasure. Picard may very well have known this, and thus would see no point in issuing tommy-guns to his crew after wasting those two Drones.

Timo Saloniemi

15. Kirkunit

Kirkunit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I hear what you're saying, but that's a cop out. (Sorry.) A simple projectile weapon has to be one of, if not the most common sort of weapon in existence. To not be able to defend against that is just silly, which was my point (hence the :wtf:).

16. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Well like on VOY, for whatever reason, the Borg 'reset' in each major episode/film, where ANY weapon seems to work for the first few shots.

I wonder how many drones actually transported over, and how many the sphere carried? I always suspected only a handful, into the Jeffries Tubes...

17. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, the other tack to take is that it was an attack involving bullet-shaped force-fields meant to simulate, but not duplicate, machine gun bullets, making it a new and bizarre type of energy weapon that the Borg, conceivably, might not be adapted to.

18. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Bollocks.

The only folks who even noticed that need to take a step back and just enjoy the fucking movie.

19. Mr J

Mr J Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Methinks that Moore was just as responsible for any logistical mistakes such as this. He isn't exactly a perfect writer/producer either.

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

It cracks me up when people slag on a Moore/Braga script by just blaming Braga for it's failures. As if Ron Moore just let Braga do whatever the hell he wanted. As if Ron Moore is some wuss. :rolleyes: