Orphan Black kept my Attention.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

And she's already slept with the enemy...

But then, so has Sarah...

So obviously, we must all make Alison our champion!
    She only sleeps with neighbors. In cars.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Forget the writing, it is Mazlany's towering perfomances that have made this show.

Comparing Tatiana's performances with Chloe Bennett's on AoS is really unfair to Bennett. She is not even close to the acting ballpark in which Mazlany plays. Bennett is not even in the parking lot. And as snarky as that may sound, it's not really a knock on Chloe. That is how much I think of Mazlany as an actor.

Imagine if Tatiana had been cast as the female lead in Dollhouse instead of Eliza Dushku. But then we might not be seeing her in Orphan because Dollhouse might have gotten a full 7 season run. So, things do happen for a reason I guess.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ It's both acting & writing really. A great actor or actress wouldn't go as far without someone writing to their strength and a cohesive and interesting storyline.

This show has all that so far. Some shows, like Lost (which I never really got into), can overdo the mind-fuck aspect.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I was a little unfair to Bennett, but I remember my reaction to seeing her in those first three episodes was because the show needed an attractive young female actress. I was thinking a lot about the various procedural that CBS has and how distracting it is when the actresses are only there because of how they look. That was the same vibe I got for AOS, and it really wasn't the actress's fault. It is very much the writing that helps that acting along.

One thing is for sure, being in a show like this gives you some amazing job security. I was thinking earlier today that in Season 2 the writers might kill off one or a few of the clones, and I'm almost afraid the unlucky one will be Cosima. Still, if they do kill off Cosima (Which will suck), it's not like Maslany is out of a job. She just has 3 more roles, that we know of, instead of 4.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not certain what you mena by "wouldn't go as far", but great acting trumps bad writing any day. A really great acting performance will make you forget bad writing.

And lets just say that Eliza Dushku had been cast as the lead in Orphan, you think this show would be anywhere near as great or as popular having to depend on it's writing and Dushku's acting? I don't. The writing isn't bad but it sure isn't the draw in this series.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Would it be incest if one of the clones slept with another clone? How hard would it be to film that scene!? lol

7. Ar-Pharazon

I haven't seen Dushku in a lot of things, so I can neither agree or disagree.

I should've said a show like Orphan Black wouldn't be as good or last, even with Tatiana's acting, if the writing was crap or the story was not as interesting.

And OB has a good secondary cast. Felix is a riot, Vic can be good and I'm not sure they're great actors, but they have good writing (and probably directing too).

8. tomalak301

It was episode 7 that had one of my favorite scenes of the season, Helena, Sarah, and the bowl of Jello. For some reason I thought it was earlier. I think if there is one thing I don't like about the series, it was the whole Neolution thing and self enhancement. This episode also featured the tail and Helena cutting it off and I keep picturing that scene in my mind thinking how silly everything was and how we really don't know what this has to do with the Clones. It did feel like they added this new thing as a way to explain the clones, but things were getting so big and so all over the place that it got lost in the shuffle. Also, Olivier was probably my least favorite character in the whole season.

We always talk about Maslany, but I'm at the point of the season where I almost feel like the other characters get short shrifted. For one, Felix is probably my favorite character not played by Maslany. Gavaris plays Felix so well and so believable that to make him a monitor in Season 2 would almost assassinate the character. He's the perfect "Straight" (I use that word in irony by the way) man and confidant. I also really like Mrs. S in these last few episodes, kind of filling in Sarah's backstory.

As for the rest, Paul and Art are good as supporting and the less I see of Vic the better. Sorry but it seems like we've moved past Vic at this point and there are better obstacles for Sarah to go through. I know in Season 2 we're getting newer characters, so that's why I say the less of Vic the better too. We've already got a big story here and I'm sure Season 2 will expand on everything.

4 Weeks. I've been touting this show (And it's pretty much all over my profile now with the picture and the location ;) ) since last year and there's 4 weeks left until Tatiana Maslany's return to New episodes. I honestly can't think of another show I've really liked in this way. The plot is good, but when this show produces an actress that at the time was a total unknown and now is like the best actress going today, I can't help but get more excited in these next four weeks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  9. tomalak301

Can't believe it's been close to a year and that is still a hell of a season 1 finale. I think I enjoyed the season more this time around than I originally did. Binge Watching it made it seem almost movie like (Which I think Binge watching does) and everything about the finale, from the music, to Alison watching Angsley suffocate in the kitchen disposal, to discovering the clones are patents, was awesome. I can't wait till April 19th, even though most premieres kind of lose momentum from the finales. God I hope they don't kill of Cosima because of the illness but I just have this feeling. As for Alison signing the contract, that will be an interesting storyline in Season 2, as well as everything else. Really looking forward to it, probably more than any show I currently watch. I've been doing an X-Files watch and I even put that on hold to rewatch this first season. I guess I can get back to X-Files Season 3 now, which I've only seen half of but I'm watching the series for the first time.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I'm gonna binge watch it too..

11. Ar-Pharazon

I'm doing ep.9 at lunch today & 10 tomorrow.

They really did a hell of a lot with only 10 episodes.

12. tomalak301

One other thing I noticed in this episode was Tatiana Maslany really improved as an actress in these ten episodes. Maybe it was playing so many characters, but I remember the first episode as Sarah you could barely understand her. Yeah they were going with a punk look, but a lot of her speech sounded blurred. Over time Sarah changed a lot. She went from Punk girl to young woman trying hard to figure out who she was. Maybe that was playing Alison, or maybe it was finally connecting her with Kira, but the change was very noticeable and very cool.

13. Ar-Pharazon

For what it's worth, I got a good screencap of Kira's med-scan with whatever it was that they thought was odd.

[​IMG]

14. Ar-Pharazon

EW has a story with some mild spoilers & a video clip of the new clone.

HERE

15. tomalak301

I almost feel like we've been giving too many spoilers lately. Still, based on what I've seen, I don't think OB is going to have a sophmore slump. Heck, I think it might actually be better in the second season. Only a week and a day left. Can't wait.

16. Ar-Pharazon

That's really the only spoilers I've read and there's not a whole lot there.

Clearly the new clone has a similar problem.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I just ordered season 1 from Amazon, should get here in 6-10 days. Then I'll make a friend of mine watch it. :)

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Will Wheaton has bound Chris Hardwick's wrists to his ankles, and left him in a locked closet somewhere isolated.

I'm watching a new magazine format special called "The Cloneversation".

All is good. :)

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, I caught that show. The whole time I'm watching it my main thought was "is that a redress of the Talking Dead set?".

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wil leans in to the Orphan Black creator/producers on the couch beside him... "I know that this is probably going to be cut from the final broadcast, but speaking in a post-Lost universe, please, please don't fuck this up."

:)

(They beeped out his "fuck")

It wasn't awful, but Patton Oswalt went on for too long about nothing, and "they" made Wil his teleprompter's bitch. Too much reading, and not enough wimsy.