AGENTS of SHIELD: Should they make a TIME TRAVEL episode?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Should there be a TIME TRAVEL episode on SHIELD?

1. Yes

51.9%
  2. No

48.1%
  1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Time Travel...yes!

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

And there's the problem.. i have no faith that anyone can handle it right. I hope they do if they decide to make one and there are good ones (like the now legendary DS9 Tribbles episode) but i've seen too many of them to get excited at all.

Shield is good as it is (well.. it's not there yet but it's improving constantly) so i don't see the "need" for such a gimmick.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Agreed - I would like to see one under the conditions you stated (non-repeatable so as to prevent it from being overused). I would also add if they are going to use time travel, develop the rules for how time travel will work with Earth-19999 and stick to them - don't just make it up as you go.

4. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Maybe they could go to the future and meet the descendants of the Avengers.

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should do anything that will inject some life into this lifeless little show. It's become much like watching cardboard decay.

6. Mordock

Mordock Commander Red Shirt

And Dominic Fortune, Brigand For Hire!

7. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought about that when I was writing my post, but I don't think Doctor Who quite fits the standard Time Travel trope. The Doctor mainly traveled back and forth in time rather than starting from point X and going backwards in time for a retcon. I haven't seen the new version but even the older version cut back on the travel within Earth's history after the first Doctor.

8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's definitely a greater focus on the mechanics of time travel in the new series ("timey-wimey" plots), but opinions vary on whether that's a good thing or not. Personally, I love it.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, there's quite some good ones. Steven Moffat is a huge fan of predestination paradoxes, usually handled in a relatively whimsical way. I'm partial to them as well, so I can't complain. My point is just that you shouldn't blame time travel when the culprit is actually just bad writing.

10. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

Revisiting this thread to say....well they sort of did it at the end of last season....but there idea on time travel was one of the worst....that NOTHING can be altered. What fun is that. I guess the cinematic universe needs to tackle this subject and due it justice someday.

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

How did time travel kill Star Trek?:vulcan:

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

No harm in a time travel story or two in a universe where you get to make up physics as you go along anyway.

Just in some cases when a show goes to time travel, if they have any success they start going to the well way too often. I think this is what Boy Who Cried Worf might have been referring to, there were way too many time travel episodes in Voyager then went completely off the rails with them in Enterprise.

The thing about time travel episodes is just by their nature they seem bigger and more attention grabbing than other episodes. Big attention grabbing premises get confused with good writing because they get the fans talking more. But the more influence you allow the past and future to have over the action and the more opportunity to erase history you introduce into the story, the smaller and less relevant the current action starts to seem.

13. Starhawk

Starhawk Lieutenant Red Shirt

NO FREAKING WAY!

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You beat me to the punch. Hell, if they want to snatch Peggy Carter out time and make her a regular, I could live with that . .. especially since Hayley Atwell's new show is tanking.

And time-travel has always been part of the Marvel Universe, at least as far back as FANTASTIC FOUR #5 (May, 1962). It's a comic-book show with androids, aliens, Inhumans, portals to other dimensions, and Ghost Riders. Time-travel would fit right in.

It's not like trying to work time-travel into a gritty, street-level show like DAREDEVIL . . ..

Shaka Zulu likes this.