Star Trek "Kahless" by Michael Jan Friedman *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nine of Four, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone read this book?

-:borg:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  2. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Re: Star Trek "Kahless" by Michael Jan Friedman

I have. A long time ago though.. Haven't had a chance to go back and reread it.

3. Nine of Four

I just finished it, and am I correct in assuming that the modern clone of Kahless is actually Morath?!?

-:klingon:

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Same here. Remember enjoying it but not many details.

I remember liking quite a lot of MJF's stuff. Does he still do Trek ?

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember enjoying it. Not a classic, but a solid read. The stuff in the past was good, the present dull.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I remember reading it about 10 years ago. One thing that I remember is that everyone (including Starfleet) gets "tied up in knots" over the disapperance of the Kahless clone, when in fact, he just wanted a holiday.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Wasn't that A Time for War, A Time for Peace?

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Read it. Agree with Steve that the historic recounting of the life of Kahless was good. I didn't really care all that much for the Worf subplot.

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I read the book a couple of months ago, right before Left Hand of Destiny and in preparation for jumping onto IKS Gorkon. :klingon:

I enjoyed both the past as well as the present plotlines. It added depth to that alien civilisation that we got to see more of their heroic age, similar to Kira's visions of ancient Bajor.

The only downer is that Kahless II's descendance from Morath never comes up again.

It is a great read, Imho!

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The problem with the book's assertion (and there should be a spoiler warning on this thread) that the Kahless clone is actually a Morath clone is that he looks just like the portrait of Kahless on the wall in the temple in "Rightful Heir." That said, I do like the book's central premise that the truth about history is often very different from the version in the textbooks and/or legends (which are often more the same thing than they should be).

11. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

The historical sections were excellent, but the Worf/Picard subplot should have been reduced significantly.

I don't think Michael Jan Friedman has written any Treklit in several years - just from memory I think the last thing he wrote was Death in Winter, although I could be wrong.

12. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

The book's been out long enough that it shouldn't need spoiler warnings, but I've change the title of the thread anyway, just to be clear :)

13. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...it's a very weird book, TBH--especially in hindsight, after all the Worf-centric stuff (canon and Trek-Lit) which has him clearly still believing the legends.

But then, perhaps something happened before "The Way Of The Warrior" to discount the account scroll...? I could easily picture an "Order Of Moloth", akin to the Gnostics of Earth history (you know...the ones who wrote the "gospels" that inspired The Da Vici Code), who created the scroll around the time of Kahless's disappearance (hence the dating "proving" the scroll authentic).

14. tomswift2002

"Spoilers" on this old book????? Really? The book's been out since 96. I definitely don't think it needs spoilers (not to mention both Memory Wiki's have pretty detailed accounts of the story).

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Yes I know - but what was being discussed was pretty fundamental spoiler-wise so I figured, why not.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, it's revealed on, literally, the last page of the book, IIRC. That's about as spoilery as it gets. It's Soylent Green/Rosebud-level spoilage -- although, admittedly, everyone knows those secrets anyway. So I figured if anything from an old book should be given at least some spoiler protection, it's something like that.

17. SpaceCadetJuan

SpaceCadetJuan Ensign Newbie

I'm glad this thread came along. I actually read this book about 6 months ago, but the significance of Morath's blood on the dagger sailed right over my head until you guys just brought it to my attention. Pretty neat twist.

18. Nine of Four

Indeed.

-:klingon:

19. tomswift2002

Didn't the audio adaptation only adapt the "present" portions?

But, as I recall, I found that the "present" stuff was setup as a good "B" plot and I enjoyed it like that.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it when I read it 10 years ago and was obsessed with Klingons. I couldn't tell you a single plot detail, though.