(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Apparently a 19 year old from Costa Rica. Hm.

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Udinese could very easily turn Arsenal over, you know.

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Udinese probably will turn Arsenal over. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Unless Arsene suddenly re-finds his midas touch I fear for Arsenal's chances of qualifying for the CL again this season. I suspect that Liverpool and Tottenham will finish above them.

2 wins out of 2 in the league for DCFC now. Rubbish in the first half today but went in 0-0. Scored early in the second and then controlled the rest of the game fairly comfortably.

Don't know which was the more amusing result today though - Leicester getting turned over by Reading, Leeds losing at home to 'Boro with 9 men, or Forest getting done again and registering no shots on target! :lol:

4. HappyDayRiot

2 in 2 for Cardiff as well. We looked good today, helped immensely by Bristol City's inability to pass the ball to each other in fairness. Very happy so far.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Back to back league wins, 6 points, third in the table. It probably won't last but I'll enjoy it while it does :D

6. HappyDayRiot

Sounds like last season for all of us already.

Great story about Juve inviting Notts County to be the club to open up their new stadium. I had no idea of the historical link between the two clubs. It's really nice to see things like this still being recognised these days, given how big the clubs get and how business-like the sport has become. Well done Juve, and I bet County will bust a gut to attend!

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

ManU has the hots for Mario Goetze, apparently. Can't say I blame them.

The awesome thing is, he's from my hometown, a small town in Bavaria (population less than 50k).

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah that is really good isn't it.

So, welcome to the Prem Swansea!

Is is wrong of me that I really feel this might be the year Derby's record gets broken!

9. HappyDayRiot

^ I certainly hope so :devil:

If I'm honest though, I think it's more likely to be broken by QPR than Swansea. Swansea will pass some teams to death and win some vital games at home.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't get QPR, they have money but seem reluctant to spend it. They seem to be setting Warnock up to fail?

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently they're trying to sell up. It is strange, I don't think they've actually spent any money, all their transfers have been free agents.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Even so they must have spent a packet on wages. It's weird that the moment they get promoted they sell, although maybe that was the plan all along; buy champsionship club, sell premier league club.

13. Angel4576

They pretty much said the same thing about QPR on 606 at the weekend. They've spent to get there, and now they're where they want to be, they spend nothing.

Tony Fernandes on the verge of taking control apparently, within the next 24 hours according to the BBC.

Can't see Swansea beating our record. QPR might if they still spend no money, but I doubt it. Can't see that record being beaten without some serious points deduction taking place.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it might come down to confidence. That was Derby's problem in many ways, the longer you go without winning the harder it is to get a win. In recent years promoted teams have generally got off to an impressive start. Been a while since I remember one (let alone two) of them getting hammered in their opening game.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well best start to a season since 1948! Ok, only three wins but still nice to have 9 points on the board at this time of the year, and the fact that we've done it with a lot of players out injured gives me a bit of hope. I doubt we have the quality and strength in depth to go all the way, but that said momentum's a funny thing.

Doncaster saturday wll be the big test, we've won three, they've lost three...this might not end well!

Nice to see Leicester are learning that buying every player you can lay your hands on doesn't neccesarily lead to success, and I'm amused that Maynard put two past em last night!

16. Angel4576

^^ At least Billy Sharp won't be playing, he always scores against us at home.

Fantastic win last night, and a very good performance. Hendrick and O'Brien were brilliant. Barker's going to struggle to get back into the side at this rate!

17. HappyDayRiot

I can report first-hand knowledge that Brighton are excellent. Seriously good side.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

My best friend's a Brighton fan so I always keep an eye on them. I'm kicking myself now as I planned to put a few bob on them pre season, I suspected they'd do well. So was it more a case of Brighton were good rather than Cardiff were bad?

Angel4576, I suspect Barker will be back sooner or later, plenty of youngsters start the season well but don't have the stamnia or experience to keep it up. I can see Clough dropping him before he burns out. Of course I could be wrong. It'd be nice to have options at the back at least, and nice to see youngsters coming through. I hope Ball gets his chance soon.

19. Angel4576

Yes I suspect that you're right. OB's had some great development so far, and he'll get another couple of games before the international break. Can't remember how long Barker's supposed to be out for still, but would imagine he'll be back in the not too distant future now. Good thing is, we don't need to rush him now with OB's new-found prominence.

Brighton and Southampton both looking very good.

Coventry and Watford for the drop, and then any one from Barnsley, Donnie and Peterborough.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah and it's great o see O'Brien do so well after all the health problems he had.