Evil Dead- 2013 remake

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Well this came out this weekend in the UK, and I see its been out in the US since April 5. Yet I couldn't find a thread for this anywhere. So seen as I saw it today I may as well make this.

Anyone else seen it, thoughts?

I'd probably give it a 6/10, some decent scares and if you like your blood and gore you should find plenty to enjoy here. A decent Friday/Saturday night popcorn movie I guess, but it wasn't really memorable, in a few weeks I'll probably have forgotten most about it.

Also sorry, I really did try, but for a lot of it I just couldn't help thinking this was going on behind the scenes-
    [​IMG]

:D

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a slick remake made for today's kids. What it gains is a story with events that are a little more coherent. What it loses is the outright goofy charm the original had.

Apparently, there's a post credits cameo by Bruce Campbell, which I missed. :(

And I agree, it's a little difficult to watch a horror movie about teenagers in a cabin in the woods without thinking about Cabin in the Woods. :lol:

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

^^^True. Still i saw it and liked it.

4. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it on Saturday, and I thought it was excellent. Not particularly scary, but then neither is the original to be fair, which itself chose to make it's mark with outlandishly gory effects sequences, instead of deep storytelling and sharp dialogue.

I liked the different take on the story, and the effects were outstanding - the practical effects being a very welcome break from the CGI splatterfests we've had in recent years. It had some nice homages to the original films, and good twists on expectations too.

And as for the possibility of any of it being forgettable; one thing I won't be forgetting any time soon will be the image of the abomination being skull-fucked by Jane Levy's chainsaw, spewing out more blood than the Braindead finale in the process.

I'm also very intrigued to hear that Raimi is working on bringing Ash back to the screen in Army of Darkness 2, and then after the already announced sequel to this film has been done, crossing both stories over into one epic bloody nightmare.

Sounds very ambitious, and I hope they pull it off.

5. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The end credits has the science guy tape recording then after is a quick close up of Bruce Cambell saying, "Groovy"

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

My concern as mainly that I can only stand a certain level of blood and gore, and that it would lack for Bruce's presence. I was going to skip the film entirely until I read up about the post credits material.

That Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness 2 will take place side by side and that Evil Dead 7 (whatever the final title is) will be a finale to the series combining both.

I suspect Mia is a descendant of Ash fathered during Army of Darkness. Dead by Dawn already introduced the idea of the Book being sentient, and the predestination paradox. The Williams family are destined to stop some sort of apocolypse, Mia being created by the third film created this 'not-quite-a-reboot' second series.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the movie was surprisingly good as well. The characters may not register all that strongly in the beginning, but once the craziness starts it definitely grabs your attention. Especially with how freakin dark and gory it all is. And there are some pretty darkly funny moments towards the end as well.

The only real drawback is that the story beats are just so damn familiar by now. The movie does deviate a bit in some cool ways (like as far as which characters survive), but I still would have liked a bit more of that.