(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it matters. Like I said you guys have their numbers. United has that edge over Liverpool and it's not going to change whether the game is in England or Russia. If I am a betting man I would bet that SAF would rather face Liverpool in the final than Chelsea. I think this is the opinion of most United fans as well. This Chelsea team is like a bogeyman for you guys. Sure you beat them 2-0 earlier when the Renties just lost their manager and was in disarray but in the last few years I can't remember any other game in which you guys looked convincing against them be it a FA Cup game or Premier league match.

2. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most Arsenal fans believe that Flamini has never forgiven Arsene for replacing him with Ashley Cole in the Champion's League final, so the loyalty over money aspect just isn't there. For those who don't remember, two years ago Flamini, a central midfielder, was deputized out of position as left back in Cole's absence and played excellently, including the famous win over Real Madrid at the Bernabéu. Ironically, Arsenal didn't tie him to a contract last season - before he came into this blistering form - because no one could have guessed what an instrumental player he would be.

Player for player and the way Chelsea are peaking in form at just the right time, I can't imagine Sir Red Nose wouldn't have rather faced Liverpool. I couldn't begin to tell you who is going to win this one. If forced to guess, I'll have to say Chelsea.

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FT Fiorentina 0 Carlos Cuellar 0

Extra-time ahoy!

EDIT:

FT ET 0-0

Heroes and villains all-round. Credit to Mutu and Gobbi for staying on their feet when they could easily have gone down for credible penalty appeals. Credit too for Carlos Cueller, arguably the best performance on the pitch.

Needing a boot up the arse - Ulfalusi, what a fanny, is he even capable of staying on his feet if there's anyone within a 5 yard radius of him? Joining him, both Cousin and Liverani. Granted, Cousin was a complete moron to fall into the trap of putting his head where he shouldn't, but did I miss the sniper in the crowd who seemingly shot Liverani. Given the minimal contact that's the only reason I can think of as to why he'd go down like he'd just taken a round to the head. :rolleyes:

Hard to believe that Rangers have held out all night. Fiorentina the far better team, but just unable to find the goal.

I'm going with the Italians on penalties. Frey's a better keeper than Alexander and they have better penalty takers.

EDIT:

Rangers win on penalties. Delighted to be proven wrong. Even more delighted to see Liverani miss. Shame.

Unlucky for Fiorentina, clearly the better side, but Rangers, and their fans won't give a fcuk about that.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I got home from 5 a side (which we won :techman:) to see the last bit of the 2nd half and EXTRA TIME/Pens...

so glad Rangers won and I think with the final in ENGLAND, we will see British glory in both EUROPEAN cups.

Long may Britain rule

5. Daedalus12

Vieri missed a pen? That fucking wanker. :D Why couldn't he missed the goal he scored last week against Samp.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

oooooooooooo:drool:

Half Time and my FOREST are winning 3-1 and Doncaster losing 1-0...we are 45 minutes away from the FOOTBALL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP :cool:

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Full Time...

Nottingham Forest 3-2 Yeovil Town.....Cheltenham 2-1 Doncaster

After they beat us in the playoffs last year how Ironic that we gain promotion by beating them and thank you Cheltenham.

All I can say is...

BRING ON THE DERBY :devil:

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Congratulations Mark. Looking forward to retaining the BC Trophy next season ;)

Personally, I was hoping you'd be in the playoffs. Sadly I don't see anyone else stopping from Leeds coming back up :(

9. Daedalus12

According to calciomercato the deal for Flamini moving to Milan is done with him signing a 5 year contract worth a massive €5.6 million per year. Will Gattuso be heading out for England? We'll see.

http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=21&a=79919

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

You would think that this would signal the end for Gattuso but he won't come to PL because the pace would be too much for him. I think a spanish or another Italian team will take him.

AC Milan need to do several more buys they need a serious overhauling.

11. Daedalus12

I think Gattuso fits with the English style very well. He has relatively speaking very little technique but can work his butt off i.e. he is like the average premier league player. :p He is turning 30 this year and probably has only two years of top club DM football left in him. I don't think any of the top 4 club in the Premiership actually needs him (United has Hargreaves, Chelsea has Mikel, Pool has Mascherano, and Arsenal has Diaby) but he could certainly starts for the mid-table English teams. However if he does does leave Italy I could only see him heading back to the Rangers to finish off his career.

Flamini has arrived at Milan for the medical. After the medical he'll put his ink on the deal.

12. TheArsenal

Belongs in the in TV and Media forum as much as it does the (UEFA) Football Thread, but this awesome Guy Ritchie Nike Advert is well worth a look.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Seen it on TV and its a wonderful advert.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

15. TheArsenal

United to take the title, likely. So ... what do you think? Who goes down with Derby?

Fulham 33pts, -23 GD
    Reading 33 pts, - 29 GD
    Birmingham City 32 pts, -19 GD
    Derby [Relegated]

Fulham v. Portsmouth
    Birmingham v. Blackburn
    Derby v. Reading

I would like to see Fulham stay up - and they're playing relatively strong football - but I have a feeling, FA Cup final or not, Portsmouth want to get a bit of momentum going in and put out a reasonably strong side. I see Birmingham losing to Blackburn, and I can't see Reading in a must win, losing to a Derby side with one eye on Summer break to wash away the taste of this season.

So: Derby, Fulham and B City in the Coca Cola Championship.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think Hodgson has done a great job but I can't see them beating Pompey and Reading will defeat Derby so IMO...

Birmingham and Fulham will join Derby next season in the CHAMPIONSHIP.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Actually I'll lay odds now that we'll beat Reading on Sunday. We can no longer beat Sunderland's score, the only record left for us not to break is the first team to win only one league game in a season since Loughborough collage some 100 years ago ;) All the pressure is on Reading, and we're at home. I'm banking on The Rams giving their fans a win to take some comfort into the summer.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

We'll be waiting ;) and so will Kris Commons probably! :lol:

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

doubt it, we didn't offer him a contract early till we knew what league were playing but now we are ready to make him the highest paid player at FOREST.

Derby may have new owners but FOREST still are one of richest clubs outside the PL thanks to Nigel Doughty and a solid fanbase.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

You should count yourselves lucky - we beat them 13-0 that season. :lol: