"Heroes" could be uncancelled.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MacLeod, Jun 11, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Oh, great. We can be horribly disappointed all over again.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

This has been talked about here before hasn't it?

I don't know why they don't start a new show like Alphas. It's not like Heroes was a one of a kind thing.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I still haven't watched Season 4.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I hope they bring Nathan Petrelli back, just so they can kill him off again. You know, for old times sake.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Season 4, although not as good as Season 1, did start steering back towards quality, IMHO. It was a definite step back up from S2 and S3.

Might just be down to Robert Knepper being the main Antagonist, rather than better writing, but still a step up

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, in the SFF shows in development thread.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You're not missing much. Heroes seemed to be one of those shws that went downhill after a great first year.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'd say it went down hill starting with the first year's finale. Which rather nicely exemplifies what was fundamentally wrong with it: great build-up, but they had no idea where to go with it.

It's a major flaw in the "mystery box" story structure so favored by the likes of JJ Abrams. Tease all you want, but sooner or later you're going to have to deliver the good stuff and if the best you can do is a giant magical sink plug of doom (I'd give a more apt example, but I've honestly forgotten how Heroes ended!) then any goodwill earned up to this point will quickly evaporate.

As for bringing the show back....meh. :/
    Don't get me wrong, the show *had* plenty of potential, but unless they have a clear, *good* idea of where they're going with it beyond just one season then it'll just crash and burn all over again.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Agreed, Lost's ending was a bit of a dissapointment. Though I think it really started to go down hill from at the latest the start of S4.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My understanding was that the season 1 finale was supposed to be the end of that particular story and that they would introduce new Heroes in the following season except that the cast was so popular they decided to bring them back.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Still, even taken in isolation the season one finale was a pretty weak ending to that story. Not sure I buy the excuse that the established characters were more popular since they did try introducing several new characters. Tried and failed since if memory serves, most of them didn't even last a full season.

BTW, Heroes and Lost aren't the only shows to suffer from lack of forward planning. It almost crippled nuBSG post season 2, with several plot thread being dumped or back-tracked when the realized too late that what they were doing wasn't working.

The only really good example of doing in *right* in this genre is Babylon 5. There the creator had a pretty clear yet malleable idea of where the show was headed and how it would get there. The details were open to later extrapolation, improvisation and even a total course correction but it was all very well held together by the framework that was set down at the off-set.

Making it up season to season or even episode to episode is perfectly fine for purely episodic storytelling. If on the other hand you make a serial TV show and emphasis it's serial nature as a major selling point and motivation for the audience to keep coming back, then you'd damn well better have a plan and stick to it, otherwise it just won't work.

The real test in the end is dose the show bare a second or even third viewing? I must have seen every episode of B5 at least four or five times over the years. Probably the same for the likes of DS9, Firefly, Farscape, Stargate etc. But I've never felt like going back and watching Heroes or Lost again. There's just no attraction. Not just because the ending is know, but because I know the process was meaningless. Most of the "mysteries" were made up on the spot, mostly just for the sake of being mysterious. There's no real pay-off because there's nothing to connect the dots.

I guess what I'm driving at is that unless there's a drastic change in the way they approach the show, I can't see any resurrection handling it any better since the show was pretty much a wreck by the end. You may as well un-cancel Earth Final Conflict for all the good it'd do.

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Screw the Universe!

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone talks about season 1 being great, but as Reverend said the first season finale was a huge letdown, to the point I saw the writing on the wall and didn't return for season 2.

The only way Heroes would have worked is if in the season 1 finale NYC blows up. They should have done that, that would have been daring and shocking.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The original intent of the creators was to do a series of season-long arcs featuring mostly new characters. When the show was a breakout hit in its first half-season, the network suits got involved and insisted that pretty much all of the main Season 1 characters had to return. I think that the creators tried to salvage their original course, hence the influx of new characters on top of the established ones. Whether or not the creators' original vision would have worked is questionable, but you can blame a lot of what was wrong with the show with the network interference. It was pretty clear, for example, that they had no idea what to do with Hiro and Ando after Season 1.

They probably could have done a better job of teasing out the show's "mysteries" if each season had featured a mostly-new cast.

16. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"UP THE UNIVERSE!"

(- from Alan Dean Foster's Flinx books.)

17. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even though I bailed on the series sometime after the second season, I'd be willing to give it a shot. They might have learned from their mistakes. The worst that would happen is that I'd bail again.

18. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

HURRAY.

Now we can see Sylar turn from purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil.

EXCITED.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It's like you are read my mind :mallory:

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Avatars of a Feather, Think together [/Seven butchered Quote Mode]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013