The Return of Whose Line is it Anyway?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by OdoWanKenobi, Mar 1, 2013.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It's happening

No, really. It is totally happening! Drew Carrey is busy, and Aisha Tyler will serve as host. Ryan, Colin, and Wayne are all set to return.

I am over the moon with this news. Whose Line was one of my favorite shows. It was appointment viewing for my family, where we would all sit around and laugh our heads off.

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Ommggggg!! This is awesome news! I very much enjoyed that show, and the main "characters" were very talented. I actually don't mind Drew Carey not being a part of it, he didn't really add much as host except for his high-pitched chuckling.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

This sounds great! I think Aisha Tyler is very funny (I watch her on The Talk), and it's great to see Ryan, Colin, and Wayne come back! :D

4. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Amazing. Every few months I go through my favourite clips on YouTube.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTZTWOIO4Y[/yt]

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's the return of Captain Hair!!!! :D

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

These two always made me laugh like crazy:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUEmMIIUQ7c[/yt]

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Great to hear. I've always liked Whose Line, though I've preferred the British version for various reasons, but I'll be glad to see it return.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

MEOW!!!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiIu3YNeiU[/yt]

10. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What ever happened to the original British host?

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

he occasionally pops up on qi or have i got news for you. he can't be that busy.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

I wish WLIIA classics like Mike McShane, Tony Slattery and Steve Frost could have appeared on the Drew Carey version.

I can honestly say that Tony Slattery and Drew Carey on stage together would be a pure work of comedy genius. :)

13. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

The funniest episode of the American version had to be the one with Richard Simmons. It was a while ago, but it was I first time I gave him enough thought to realize he was actually in on the joke.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTxkxG3DF4k[/yt]

14. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I've had a massive crush on Aisha Tyler ever since she was the host for Talk Soup, and she was absolutely hysterical on it. I can't wait to see this come to fruition.

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pity Drew isn't coming back as host. He was generally very good in the end game and more importantly he had a good chemistry with the regulars allowing for good back and forth. It will be interesting to see how the new show goes.

16. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Drew is a standup comedian, and not an improv comedian (and yes, there's a difference - Greg Proops is the only one who could easily pull off both skill sets IMO). By his own admission Drew was a poor improvisor and the laughs he got were as much the audience laughing at him not being able to hold a character, versus the sorts of gags his co-stars got. He was included in a game at the end at the studio's request IIRC, as they wanted to capitalize on his name.

[Aside: After the DCS was done Drew actually started taking acting and improv lessons, and you could see in some of the Whose Line follow-up attempts that he had markedly improved as an improvisor. He always made a better host though IMO, and his success on TPIR is proof positive that this is where his groove is]

Anyway, I'm delighted that the show is back and with the original US cast, albeit a good decade-plus along. The show actually stopped filming in 2001, and ABC had enough in the can to show new episodes until 2007 (they even mistakenly included different cuts of the same games in some episodes!); they used every single game they had instead of just the best ones as the UK version did, and in the later seasons it showed. Having seen many of the show's cast in various improv-related stuff in the interm, it's easy to see that they still have it. I'm guessing that the guest of the week will include some younger talent thought to keep it fresh.

While I was always into theatre improvisation, it was Whose Line that really got me on the path to making it a second career. I currently manage almost 20 improvisors in three cities, and perform in two other groups as well. Despite this, most hardcore improvisors still look down on Whose Line as a form of cheap, go-for-the-laughs improvisation for the masses. Anyone who's been to a theatre improv show knows that Whose Line isn't as compatible with the more common forms of improvisation out there.

Still, for better or worse WL is responsible for popularizing improv for the TV-watching audiences at large; I do hope this new edition will bring the fire back. :)

Mark

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That's rather impressive. I got introduced to Improv by way of the rink style improv in drama class in high-school and I've always liked it since. But yeah, I've always felt Drew was a little off in this which is why I liked the British version better.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I read it and rolled my eyes at the host. I can't stand Aisha Tyler. I think its clear they just picked the first free female they could find. She just doesn't have fun feeling to her. I hope she is next to useless like Drew was. :lol:

19. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only hope they don't "force" her to be in a game as Drew was, and just keep her at the desk as Clive was. I didn't know Aisha Tyler until she showed up on Talking Dead last night, but she seems quick enough to host.

No slight to Drew - he's a great host, but his background is in standup. Without getting too deep into the theory of improvisation, in standup you are in solo control on stage, whereas in improv it's about relinquishing control to the team and the scene. And it showed - Drew was only ever playing Drew on Whose Line, even in the later seasons when he was endowed with a character. Speaking from experiencee, I know it's MUCH more fun to improvise with someone who's actually IMPROVISING. If you dig up some of the later improv stuff he's done (Green Screen Show, Improvaganza), Drew is MUCH better at it.

Drew's chemistry with the gang was great, but the playful antagonism was doubtless rooted in the differences in background he had with the trained improvisors he hosted. I hope Aisha can use her own background to get laughs as a result of improv rather than just watching her screw up on stage as Drew usually did.

Mark

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I agree Drew was pretty weak with the improv stuff. But Colin and Ryan more than made up for him! :D I especially loved when they would do the Irish Drinking Song, and Colin would absolutely destroy everyone with the last verse! :guffaw: