The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 24, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

1. Excellent

33.8%
  2. Good

42.6%
  3. Fair

14.7%
  4. Poor

5.9%
  5. Terrible

2.9%
  1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair though, I think a little kid's life is more important than preserving his identity, but I did agree that it seemed a lot of people knew. The leaving the camera with his name on it was particularly stupid :lol:

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I half expected him to tell Aunt May at the end. At least Raimi kept MJ in the dark until the second film. And Raimi's Aunt May still doesn't know (although sometimes I wonder if she suspected).

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^He didn't need to, it was clear that May was supposed to have figured it out.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that conversation in May's back yard while she's packing up her stuff to move (SM2) really makes you believe she knows.

One thing about Peter Parker in all four Spidey films: Peter periodically does not-so-bright things. But in the character's defence he is supposed to be a kid, a young adult, and they're prone to having less-than-bright moments. Hell, there are grown adults who are supposed to know better that do stupid things all the time (collectively speaking).

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

As someone who felt luke warm on all three Rami movies, I felt lukewarm on this one as well. The action scenes were cool, but there were hardly any and it was 2h15m long. Spider-Man had a sense of humor, thank god. Garfield was a much better pick than Maguire.

But the Lizard did not look good. No snout? No white lab coat? A silly nit perhaps but that's what makes him look cool. Otherwise he's just a dinosaur monster.

And he doesn't become Spider-Man for an hour into the movie? I just saw this origin story ten years ago, and it didn't rivet me to the screen then, either. Some origins, like Batman's, are epic enough to sustain interest, but Spidey's is just a teen soap opera.

6. stj

^^^Yes as to Raimi. But also the new movie. Sally Field is a great ctress. If she looks thoughtful and scared as she looks at Peter when hearing about the vigilante, she's communicating on purpose that May is suspicious. When she looks appalled and proud and stoic and doesn't ask questions when he comes back victorious, she's communicating that May knows.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I overlooked commenting on that. I, too, was disappointed with the Lizard. Of course we know it's cgi, but I just didn't buy into his design/appearance. Maybe they did it that way to keep the eyes expressive? I also don't recall the Lizard being substantially larger than Spidey, but maybe I'm not remembering it right.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Again I think it's yet another reveal too soon. For ages we wonder why no one can figure out Clark is Superman and yet in modern superhero films they can't unmask the guy soon enough or often enough. :lol:

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The movie lacked some energy for me, the casting was great and I thought Emma Stone was adorable as Gwen Stacy and she had some nice chemistry with Adrew Garfield. But they did leave alot of things open so the movie felt alittle incomplete to me.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty disappointed with it. I felt Garfield as Peter Parker doesn't change much throughout. The character goes on a journey but he is still the same guy by the end of it and it less of a nerd than what I think Peter Parker ought to be. This is just a cool guy getting cool powers instead of below average joe getting them. Uncle Ben, Aunt May, did we need such high quality actors for these roles?

Lizard pointless.

Spider-man is all willy nilly with his true identity. No more problems balancing two lives eh?

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

People keep saying that, but other than the car thief scene I don't remember a whole lot of wisecracking going on.

In fact I just rewatched the first Raimi movie and I thought there was just as much joking around in that one:

"That's a cute outfit. Did your husband buy it for you?"
    "Hey kiddo, let Mom and Dad talk for a minute, will ya?"
    "It's you who's out, Gobby. Out of your mind."
    "Whew! Beats taking the subway!"

Plus his whole demeanor was just a whole lot lighter and more fun.

Garfield certainly has his moments, but most of the time his Spidey seemed just about as dark and gloomy as his Peter Parker was in this movie.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

New Rule: Anyone who pays to see ASM in theaters is not allowed to complain about there being too many reboots.

This movie was a reboot. This was never a secret; the ads even played it up to the general population.

When you pay to see a movie, you cast a vote for more movies like it, regardless of what you then think of the movie, because either way, they studio's been paid.

For anyone who doesn't want to see Spidey rebooted only a decade after SM1, I have a brilliant, mind-bending strategy: don't see it! :rolleyes:

So you paid to see a reboot you knew was a reboot, and rather liked it regardless?

Way to make the studios "take note" not to do any more reboots. :borg:

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Taking the mask off was necessary to save the kid, and nobody knows the kid knows what he looks like.

I don't mind the ID stuff. The secret identity is, in a lot of cases, a formula that kept getting included in the comics because Superman had one and everybody was mimicking his basic story setup, and kept it up even in many instances where it doesn't make much sense (one of the things I most like about the Marvel Studios films is their willingness to modernize and dispense with the characters' totally useless secret identities). If Peter trusts Gwen (or his aunt, etc.), there's no reason for him to make a big secret out of it.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The Amazing Spider-Man" won it's opening weekend raking in $65 million dollars, and a six day total of $140 million (which is over what I actually predicted a month or so ago). This is also about ten million below what "Spider-Man 3" pulled in during it's opening back in 2007 as well. Fans were way more excited for 3 at the time, though than they seem to have been for this one.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni31649108/

I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I'm going on the 16th.

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised by that. Spider-Man 3 left a bad taste in many peoples mouths so a bit of franchise rebuilding is in order.

17. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

In the first film, yes. I don't remember as much in the others. However, it could be because I thought McGuire's delivery was terrible.

Uh huh. Sure. :lol:

I personally don't care about remakes/reboots. They don't bother me, unless they are done terribly. I thought ASM was made by people who clearly cared about making a decent film, even if it wasn't with the same passion as the first film.

Either way, superhero films are exempt from criticism regarding remakes because they are all adaptations of another medium, and are constantly being remade. Complaining about this film being a remake says to me that someone thinks that Raimi created Spider-Man in 2001, which is stupid beyond words... but not terribly surprising.

The only remakes that upset me are ones that nobody asked for based on movies that may have a cult following, but no wide appeal. Like Total Recall. Or Robocop.

Next summer I'm looking forward to a remake of Enemy Mine starring Shia Lebeuf followed by a remake of The Last Starfighter where the arcade game is replaced by some gimmicky hologram VR bullshit Hollywood thinks needs to be in every scifi film. :lol:

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And I'll go to see the new Superman too ! I have a son who loves superhero films...

19. stj

Missed this first time round. Thanks for the clarification, which makes perfect sense of course.

On the secret ID stuff, the Fantastic Four never had any. But, then, they had a skyscraper with a doorman. So I guess they didn't have privacy issues the way others would.
    Keeping the secret from the near and dear doesn't actually make any sense, it would just cause huge problems. It's the hostile strangers who you need to avoid. On the other hand, telling Gwen means Peter can never dump her, lest she drop the dime on him to Kraven or Mysterio!

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I don't know that it was necessary for him to take off his mask to save the kid. Why not just persuade him verbally that he's just a regular guy, or tell a joke, or try something other than just taking his mask off?