How characters received their names

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by alpha_leonis, May 7, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't think that's exclusively nautical. It was a widespread term derived from a surgeon's tendency to amputate limbs.

As I kid I thought McCoy was called "Bones" because he was thin.

2. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

More on Sawbones-
    From what I understand from our "Doc" in our civil war reenacting group (he is a real doc) so I will call him a "resource". The term predates the American Civil War, from where it gained wide spread use. He said it was used by the author Charles Dickens, some twenty or so years pryor in one of his stories. (He told me which of Dickens works but I've got a dead cell in the old noggen today). So you are in fact, at least partly correct.

Regards,
    Chuck

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In real life, "Bones" was coined by the writers based on "Sawbones." But we never heard it stated that that was the in-universe derivation as well, so the movie wasn't wrong to offer a different one.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Here's an obscure example of this policy of legal clearance on Star Trek, from a May 29, 1967 de Forest Research memo for "Amok Time":

Either this issue was later resolved or the name slipped under the producer's radar since an Admiral Westervliet later appeared in "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky," although the name wasn't spoken on screen. (Interestingly, the same actor -- Byron Morrow -- played both Komack and Westervliet. I wonder if the name slipped into the end credits of the season three episode by mistake?)