Has star trek changed

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by starbuck, Mar 27, 2013.

1. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that link makes me sorry that Jesus Christ didn't post YouTube rants.

I mean, he could have if he'd wanted to.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Roddenberry sounded stoned. And, yeah he worked on the movies as much as he wanted. :lol:

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he did. Maybe he does. Maybe one of them is Mr. Christ.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now Jesus Christ, there was a guy with a vision, and one that didn't revolve around cranking out TV pilots and banging the talent in his office. I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to listen to him review Transformers II.

Roddenberry worked on the movies after ST:TMP to the extent that the studio would permit it. This meant that he was free to offer suggestions to the producers and they were free to ignore him altogether.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I did always think that Cochrane's speech was about Gene too. From what i know money and women were very important to him!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I hope so, it needed to change. It didn't change the way I thought immediately after Enterprise...I thought there might be a movie first but that an eventual TV show may have some science fiction writers on the staff or producing it. Actually what I discovered a few years ago is that my timeline for a show was probably right, but that it would have producers with cachet Like McFarlane, Singer, JJ ABrams or the like to get it on.

Ultimately Berman and Braga as well as other producers did produce some good work on Voyager and Enterprise, but overall the sameness made it feel tired. The shows needed new producers and writers as well as a new "vision" (vision doesn't have to be visionary lol), this might include updating the production, writing and filming methods. What it should keep at the core, even if different outwardly would be a future where the environment allows people and organizations (like the UFP) to function on a cooperative level..I don't like using the word utopia, but for lack of a better word it should be positive, space travel perfected. I think a TV show might explore this more in depth, but I like what we've got...JJTrek still has many elements of 2001: A Space Odyssey, it has the idea of Starfleet as peacekeepers, STID has them as explorers to begin with, and most of all it is not a dystopia, like 85% of even the big blockbuster scifi hits (think of the big budget, big name movies coming out this year that actually are scifi). The technology is not leading us to doom. The people are self-motivated and positive! Pike is Kirk after a 5 year mission!

One last note: It's been discussed before but Gene Roddenberry didn't invent anything, he popularized a LOT! Along with Coon, Justman and the bunch--which Gene endlessly credited with helping him--they made a series which wasn't an anthology that still told allegories based on a city in space...at a time when everyone was thinking small...rockets and saucers. Then they put it on TV...I don't think Gene really planned on having women and different races being controversial, I think he thought it should be normal, but it still made a splash. By hiring people like Jefrries, he tried to make the show believable, grounding the 23rd century for what normally might seem like a wild fantasy to your average TV viewer.

RAMA

8. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

It has evolved with the times in both good and bad ways.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Somewhat unfair, he had a few ideas in the 60s, which doesn't mean he didn't have human foibles...but I don't think it's fair to say a man can't grow and learn philosophically all the while having issues (drinking and drugs were worse than being unfaithful because I think they damaged his thought process and brought about his early demise), he admits as much in 80s interviews. He learned and adapted between TOS, STTMP and STNG so they naturally were going to be different.

RAMA

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Roddenbery listened to a lot of scientists and philosophers in the 70s, he makes some remarkably perceptive comments in part 2...little did he know...

RAMA

11. edshrinker

edshrinker Ensign Red Shirt

Best. Avatar. Ever. Looking for the one of Scorpy and Crichton in the bunny suits now.

12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Star Trek should always change with the times. It should never be stagnant. Just keep a vague message with the ships and fighting and it will continue to be like itself.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    With minimum wage, he's come close. Ba-dum-tish. :p

14. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I myself have always liked and felt passionate over GR view of our future and over time this view of the future has changed with the history and trends.

JJ,s vision is a eye opener and I'm always getting a buzz about this. I know people that I know just say that it's just a TV series that was made in the 60,s that was cheesy its make believe but to me it's a Positive and Realistic vision of our future as a human species and if we ever come into contact with ET race and there similar to us will our world change will we have a better understanding of our universe.. Who knows ???

When I watched the 1st movie it was jaw dropping good a Star Trek film that deserved to be made on a grand scale.. Only time I have had this similar feeling is when I've watched Star Trek TMP before that film we had a series that the budget was very tight but when you see and watch TMP you really get the Feel it deserved to be on the big screen and I feel that JJ has done that again in the 2009 film and hopefully with the release of STID.....

15. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Keep on changin' and Keep on Trekkin' for the next 50 years. Reboot/Re-Imagine/Retcon/Remake etc just stay relevant and stay cool. Trek will have to change a great deal in the next decade to keep up with the technological revolution currently taking place (cheap computing devices/smart devices/phones/tablets/smart tv/internet/robotics/medicine).. these movies are just the start. For every old fan that gets pissed off there should be 10 new ones to take their place. Thats how you keep it going.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the incredible boost of energy JJ gave Trek-- along with the way he breathed new life into the original characters-- more than makes up for any story problems the films might have.

Obviously for any new TV series I'd want something a bit deeper and more complex, but for the movies I'm perfectly happy with them being just fun action adventure flicks.

17. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The idea that humanity would co-exist with each other without borders and exploring the stars would be a combined human endeavour and not limited to soley one nation/country, gender, or economic class of people. It was a bit more of a radical idea in the 1960s. Roddenberry believed that the pursuit of science and technology is not a bad thing but something that can educate and open doors to mankind. It was not a dystopia sci-fi universe he presented. One of the core tennants of Trek was that of opitimism. Granted it got heavy handed and messages were often delivered hamfisted, but it was a TV show and they had to entertain people too. Which is why there are adventure and comedy stories sprinkled in there as well as a lot of opitmism, political messages and/or soul searching.

Now we may not get transporters or warp drive anytime soon, but tricorders, communicators, teleconferencing, a paperless society, touchscreens, and PADDs were all ideas pushed further into the mainstream concisnous by Star Trek moreso then any other franchise. Even if not all those concepts had their origin from Trek. And while the credit certainly does not go all to Roddenberry, the man as a futurist set the franchise bible out there for other writers to pick up and run with. Without GR around, modern Trek doesn't seek out the futurist angle as much, it basically has settled with what was established from TNG and hasn't expanded that much beyond it as the last two Treks have been prequels.

18. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:confused: :wtf:

???

I'm lost on what you mean here or why you responded to my post that way, I never mentioned Roddenberry's unfaithfulness, drinking or drugs nor did I say he can't grow and learn philosophically. Others here have made repeated comments/jokes on the guy being a man-whore, (which I don't doubt he lived that lifestyle) but I've never brought it up.

19. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Okay smarty-pants, just who the frack do you think is better than Abrams at running the Star Trek franchise?:D

Please let us know.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Careful, it's a trap.