Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The very different UK trailer.

I keep wondering if Noomi Rapace's character -- Dr. Elizabeth Shaw -- is meant as a subtle, yet deliberate, Doctor Who reference.

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And there's more dialog evocative of Alien: "They opened from the inside" "It was in my throat!"

Very interesting.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

You see something lifepod-like launch just before the Prometheus rams the alien ship in the first trailer.

4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

No, but one is an action, adventure fun on the high seas type of film, while the other is an horror thriller. I just don't see the point of compare because of they are both sci fi.

5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Ooooooh... I think I like this trailer best of all. It builds up the concept of the story quite well, with some great scenes. :techman:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I like this one a lot, too. However, it does raise an interesting concern.

Basically, the plot set-up of Prometheus appears to be the same as AVP. Archaeologists discover evidence of ancient civilization, they go in search of said civilization in remote place (Antarctica in AVP, what is presumably LV-426 in Prometheus), and then all hell breaks loose.

However, I have faith in Damon Lindelof and Ridley Scott, and I'm sure that any similarities between the two stories are merely superficial. :)

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Actually, I was getting a strong Stargate (the movie) vibe. I half expected Daniel Jackson to show up in the first part of the trailer.

8. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, there is so much awesome packed into that trailer! I imagine this has already been pointed out earlier in this thread, but.... I look at the Prometheus, and I see a Firefly-class ship with a far more sophisticated interior. :cool:

9. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Great new trailers, I like both of them. Hopefully the film is as good as the trailers suggest it to be.

Maybe he does. Or maybe he is just quoting from this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ35p5nXMVQ&feature=related

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the buildup is better, but I thought the second half of the other trailer was FAR more intense.

11. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

The Weyland clip is awesome - maybe he's a replicant/synthetic or a trans Human, but the rest is turning into a mish-mash of a little bit of everything and too much horror for me. I thought he was going to veer away from that into Blade Runner territory. The supernatural is fine but does it have to be gory? It seems to be painted by the numbers and not have a strong thematic concept to it. 'We went to find our beginning, but may have found our end' is so cliche. The dialogue is not thrilling me.

12. sojourner

Agree to disagree.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Each trailer has been better than the last. Looks great to me.

14. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So this is like AvP, but better? ;)

15. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

More like 'Jaws' if the shark was a supernatural alien god. Layering mystery on top of mystery. It's too Star Gatey..

16. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU[/yt]
    this trailer is less than a day old and already has over 1,000,000 views.
    this one looks good. (sorry if its already posted)

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, how things have changed. Just a few short months ago you didn't think the whole god thing was too bad of an idea and you liked that there would be some questions and the potential for follow up material. And now, you know "that Lost guy" helped write the movie and it's been all down hill for you ever since.

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Yeah because Stargates "aliens visiting Earth in our past history" was a wholly original concept, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

If someone calls themselves fans of science fiction, and does not get chills watching the imagery in these trailers... Then one has to ask... What do you actually like?

19. sojourner

^Or as Morden said it, "What do you want?"

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That something billed, on any level, as an Alien prequel would be expected to veer away from horror is - well - puzzling.

That said, in retrospect, the buzz from last year or so, reputedly from reliable sources (i.e., from Scott himself) and to the effect that Prometheus would not be a true Alien prequel, now pretty clearly seem exactly like disinformation, perhaps for the purpose of misdirecting to get maximum surprise and enthusiasm upon seeing this trailer.

I'm rather encouraged by how much the 1979 film seems to be having an influence on practically everything shown in the trailer.

That said, I'm only cautiously optimistic. Part of the angst and charm of the 1979 film is in the derelict, and the story behind how the Nostromo came to be sent to the then unnamed planet, both being mysteries. There is additionally a risk that, when details are painted in, they will not live up to the inevitably rather high expectations. Generally speaking, any new film can disappoint, but most especially when the expectations are that a film will be the most awesome experience in theaters ever. I say this mainly from having been disappointed before. I'm thinking of you, The Phantom Menace.

I hope for the best, but in any case, I'll certainly be more than satisfied if this is better than both Alien 3 and Resurrection.