NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Use of Time, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

The selfish side of me likes the Harvin trade. Not only does Harvin leave the NFC North, but I have him on my fantasy keeper league team and I think he'll put up more points with a halfway decent QB throwing to him.

The Vikings got pretty good compensation for Harvin, but WR was a position they were already weak at. I see some parallel to their Randy Moss trade years ago. Once again the deciding factor seems to personality issues rather than talent.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I feel so sorry for Vikings fans. Not only do they lose Harvin, but the straw that broke the camel's back was Harvin going to management and complaining that Ponder is a terrible quarterback. Holy moly.

Those pranksters are going to be in a world of hurt, legally speaking, very soon. Assuming Dominik was in Florida, there's a tremendous amount of exposure on their part, as Florida is a two-party consent state when it comes to wiretapping / eavesdropping.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

So is Fitzpatrick going to get another job? He could be a capable backup.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Surprised he got cut less than 24 hours after the release of that tape.

Then again, not surprised at all.

5. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Welker to the Broncos?!?!?!? Fuck my life.

6. Timby

Guess the rumors that he and Belichick didn't get along anymore were true.

7. SmoothieX

And of course I'm in North Dakota and surrounded by Vikings fans with no shoulder to cry on. On a slow burn to detontation.

Eh, I bigger problems, I'm going curling tonight. How the hell do I curl?

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

It's like shuffleboard. Or bocce ball. Or darts. Or really any game where the goal is to get closest to the target.

9. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Denver plays at New England in the 2013 season. Will Smoothie have a nervous breakdown during that game?

10. Timby

The Vikings are talking with Brian Urlacher.

NO FUCK YOU YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM SPIELMAN HE'S OUUUURRRRRS

[​IMG]

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Worst part of Welker deal is that it was only 2/$12. Pats apparently just decided to get younger, as they signed Amendola this evening for same 5/31, so about same money, and only 10M guaranteed. Similar player, although Amendola has been hurt lately. Things like a broken collarbone, though, so shouldn't be lasting injuries or show any risk going forward.

Not thrilled, but will see how it works out.

12. SmoothieX

Just shove a rusty car antennae up my dickhole.

13. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Did Flacco's elite contract completely screw up the Ravens that much? I thought you were supposed to blow up losing teams, not Super Bowl champions. :wtf:

As for Urlacher and the Bears, I think he'll re-sign with them for less than he's asking.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think it was his contract (or at least not exclusively the contract). However, while they were willing to pay whatever it took to re-sign Flacco, they seemed to believe the others were worth only a certain price and other teams were willing to overpay (in their minds) so they let them go.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I'm really bummed to see Amendola go. He plays all-out every play, and will do whatever it takes to move the ball downfield. He plays without fear, which is partially why he's hurt so often.

The Rams receiving problems are getting worse by the day...

:scream:

16. SmoothieX

I'm really bummed to see Amendola show up.

17. Timby

It isn't the Flacco deal. Ozzie Newsome is no fool, and he's a long-term, big-picture kind of GM. He wasn't going to completely fuck the team's salary cap for several years in some misguided hope of a repeat. It made sense to dump Boldin once he wouldn't renegotiate his deal, for example. The big stunner was losing Ellerbe.

In any event, I guarantee you that their draft is going to be very defensively focused.

18. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Got it. I can't say I follow the inner workings of many teams beyond the Bears so I figured the Ravens would be doing what most teams would do in this situation and do everything they can to repeat as champions. Definitely wiser to look at the big picture and not completely screw yourself over long-term by giving huge short-term salaries but it's amazing how so few teams do that.

19. Timby

Yeah, Newsome is on the record as saying that he won't repeat 2001, which is when the Ravens spent like drunken fools in a vain short-term effort to repeat as champions. The entire goal this offseason has been to 1) lock down Flacco, and 2) start rebuilding the defense, which everyone knew was going to be shredded due to free agency and retirement.

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, he's no Welker, but he'll play his heart out for you. I like Amendola, and I think you will too in time, assuming he can stay on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.