Mentally Ill Protagonists #1 - Buffy Summers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Apple Goblin, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know. :p

I am just saying they bring her back and she dies again, they kill her in alternate universes. She is The Slayer, not Kenny from South Park. :rommie:

I posted the thing about her deaths in fun. I am sorry. :shrug:

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Obviously Buffy needed help. That episode in season 6, I think, where she had that long psychoanalysis by that vamp gave us a bit of just how much she could have used a mental healh professional. But considering that she had this "calling" thrust upon her and had to go about saving the world in secret, it would have been very unlrealistic to show her just pleased as punch about everything all the time. If she was, people would be complaining because here's this teenager with all this responsibility and she's happy all the time.

And as others have pointed out, Buffy's reaction to her plight is part of what made the show so compelling.

Hey, do Oz next: "Support characters who are autistic and don't know it". You're welcome. :)

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure Buffy went through a lot of shit on the show, and it did have an effect on her, but I don't think it was anywhere near as extreme as the OP makes it sound.
    Also it's a little too easy to use Season 6 as a part of this, since the whole point of her arc for the early part of the season is the fact that she was having trouble dealing with being back on Earth.

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 6 was good - I'd call it dead middle at worst in ranking the seasons, probably tied for third with S2. It was Season 7 (the back half) that was just ugh.

"Scythe." Alleged Scythe you mean. :p I remember reading about it before and thinking how awesome it was gonna be to see Buffy going all Grim Reaper, and then it's just a damned axe. A pretty sweet axe, all choppy and the stake-end is a nice touch, but in no way a scythe. /rant

Damn if that whole subplot didn't come right the fuck out of nowhere. And first introducing the Ancient Controlling Magic Men right on the heels of one of Buffy's worst moments, gahhh... such a messy end for the show.

5. Apple Goblin

Apple Goblin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oz was actually a lot more perceptive and self-aware than his homicidal girlfriend.

6. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the core concepts of the show is that Buffy is someone who had an inhuman amount of responsibility dropped on her shoulders at a very young age, so it would be pretty poor writing to not show the toll that took on her over the years. She reaches her lowest point in Season 6 (a season which I love, but I seem to enjoy watching my heroes get their asses kicked. It's one of the reasons why "Empire" is my favorite SW movie), but she comes out the other side scarred but unbroken. I think it actually shows a tremendous amount of strength that she came through it as well as she did.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Shadow Men where alluded to in season 2 when Giles put Buffy through the de-powering test. The serum is native to the lands of ancient Sumer where the Slayer was created.

They were hinted at again with the First Slayer in seasons 4 and 5 with shadows moving around behind the Slayer and mentions from Giles to the creators of the line.

I admit they did a poor job because they were waiting for a better time to show them, then slapped them right in with season 7 in one go.

The only ass pull was the female counterpart community and the Scythe (which Buffy does swing like one when she remembers) that was 'always meant to be there'.

8. Thestral

Ok, fair point about the vague foreshadowing (heh) of the Shadow Men. Like you said though, poorly handled proper introduction - and we're supposed to cheer Buffy overcoming them right after one of her most callous, heartless General Buffy moments when she needed a punch to the face.

I'd actually forgotten about the "Watcher Watchers" women entirely - they get, what... one scene in the penultimate episode, or maybe finale?

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

One scene, at the end of the second to last episode, for ~1.5 minutes, then dies.

Yeah the finale was a mess of a thing.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The axe/scythe and the Shadow Men were all from the Fray comic.

11. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then don't? She's a fictional character who's not been in new drama for a decade. You can't change her now.

There was a soap character in the UK a while back who had serious issues, 6 months later he was completely cured and 'normal' - I found that the least convincing aspect of it.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Which they had planned for years prior. All the details of the two were in the original plans for the show, for whatever reason, they held off far too long incorporating them properly.

And the comic continuations...oy, that's a clusterfuck for another day.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

None of Whedon's comic work is any good.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I actually love Fray and still see it as the future for the Buffy-verse.

While S9 was much better than S8, neither reached the heights hoped for.

15. Thestral

I dunno, I really really like his X-Men run. The Danger arc was a bit iffy, but overall it's good stuff.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah! I was just thinking in context to his Buffy comics, but overall, his X-Men work was good. I even didn't totally hate the "Danger" arc.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Oz was quiet but seems pretty with it. He's not like Abed from Community.

Reminds me of the Circle of the Black Thorn at the end of Angel. That was also very abruptly introduced at the very end.

I wish that Fray was done as a TV show, or at least a set of animated DTV movies.

Buffy was just crazy depressing from Joyce's death onwards. I've never properly watched the last two seasons but the stuff I have seen was largely terrible.

Exceptions: "Once More with Feeling," "Tabula Rasa," Giles' badass entry in "Two to Go."

18. AgentCoop

The Circle Of The Black Thorn thing on Angel seems rushed because it was. They didn't find out from the network that they were getting cancelled until they were two-thirds of the way through the season. They had mere weeks to tie up four and a half years worth of show. Given those circumstances, I'd say the results are pretty impressive.

19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 6 of BtVS was just unhinged. I don't know why, I don't know if maybe something went wrong behind the scenes? :confused: But for whatever reason, all of the ducks lined up at once... and created an entire season that was just totally over the edge. :vulcan:

While I appreciate Joss's thinking in wanting to make a season with the theme "Just Grow Up!", because he was clearly thinking along the lines of wanting the show to keep ahead of its comfort zone and avoid just being samey-samey and dying a slow death of endless repetition of themes, I think their efforts to completely destroy... well, everything that people had come to root for were completely misjudged.

And then Season 7 arguably compounded the problem by trying to recapture something of the pre-season 6 feel, which just made things feel even more hollow as a result. It's like, "Okay... so all that 'flaying people alive' shit didn't matter after all, right?" :shifty:

20. AgentCoop

I think it's tough to argue that it "didn't matter" when two entire S7 episodes (as well as parts of others) are devoted to the fallout of Willow's actions in the previous season. Neither Willow nor her relationships with her friends are ever quite the same.