New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neoworx, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

They did do a Kickstarter to raise some funds, so hopefully that helps them get the books out faster, but we'll see.

I applied for a review copy through my blog, but I assume it's a long shot.

2. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only the first season book is available, correct? If so, when will the second season be available?

Thanks to the folks with the answers!

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the 3rd book will be extremely interesting. We're heard less about that season than the others and it would be interesting to get a detailed account of that stormy season.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting, though probably not as illuminating as we'd like, since Cushman's archival sources aren't as detailed when it comes to the third year, on account of Justman leaving early and Roddenberry taking a step back.

Although, having perused the Roddenberry half of those archival papers, the series creator gave more input during the third year than most behind-the-scenes accounts suggest. It was still quite a bit less than in the first two years, though.

5. Ssosmcin

I hear ya. It should still be more revealing than anything done before, since a lot of accounts give that season the short shrift. Some don't even mention Frieberger by name, which is uncalled for.

6. neoworx

neoworx Lieutenant Red Shirt

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think I really want this book...

But 40 bucks for the book plus another 25 bucks(!) for international shipping (to Canada) is on the steep side.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  8. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I thought this was going to an eBook, no?

Then you wouldn't have to worry about shipping charges.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Did I miss something? I didn't see anything about an rebook version.

10. SpHeRe31459

Oh I'm not sure of that by any means, I just figured in this day and age and since it's a self-published book right? It would also be available in a electronic format. No physical distribution charges.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I just find 25 bucks for shipping one book is on the steep side.

12. SpHeRe31459

Yep I agree.

13. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm scared to check shipping to Sweden now. 25 bucks sure is a lot, plus I'd have customs on top of that.

An ebook would be great.

14. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Ssosmcin

Marc Cushman also co-wrote an excellent book on I Spy. In there it is hinted that Star Trek's ratings were not as poor as people think at the end of the second season. NBC had agreed to put Sheldon Leonard's newest TV series, My Friend Tony, on the schedule, but didn't have room for it. Contractually, they were obligated to put it on the air, so something had to go to make room. They made a decision.

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-History-Episode-Groundbreaking-Television/dp/0786427507

He then credits the "million letters" (debunked as being too high a number years ago) for shaming NBC into keeping Trek on the schedule and keeping My Friend Tony in limbo.

I was skeptical because this was the first I'd heard of this in all this time and details or proof were not forthcoming (also the million letters thing). Apparently he was saving it for these volumes. Considering the (otherwise) excellence of that book, I have no doubt these will be great to read.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  16. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If these were E-books I might have considered but the price is too steep for me. One book costs more than one season of the series on DVD.

17. Wil has a posse

Wil has a posse Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cover price is too expensive for my tastes, but if I find a decent sale I'll definitely check it out.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Kickstarter had an option for an e book version, so presumably one is forthcoming.

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Considering the size of the book and the level of detail, I find the price reasonable for the book. What I find hard to swallow is that it appears not all photos will be properly credited. Disappointing, but not surprising.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with the price of the book itself (as you've stated), but I really balk at the ridiculous shipping charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.