Which Borg incarnation is freakier? Series or First Contact?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Nerys Ghemor, Mar 15, 2009.

?

Which Borg incarnation is freakier? Series or First Contact?

1. The seven seasons of TNG

46.5%
  2. First Contact

32.6%
  3. Both freaked me out equally!

20.9%
  4. Neither one freaked me out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

BOBW may be the best Borg episode, but in my view Q Who is the purest appearance. In that episode they were definitely designed to be this type of indestructable enemy for the sake of the plot...it it worked, the UFP ran.

RAMA

2. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I meant 'they' as in the Borg themselves, not the show creators!

Maybe it was something the Borg experimented with, having a Queen.... just saying that would have been a BETTER idea than what we got since it would have allowed for an 'out' if the Queen sucked.

3. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

First Contact Borg freaked me more because they were so "contagious." Series Borg had to perform surgery to achieve the transformation.

4. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think FC Borg have it, but there are pros and cons to both. Series Borg had that relentless facelessness that was really heart-thumping. The mass voice was also disturbing. That they had to do surgery to create Borgness was a bit obvious, while the idea of injecting Borgness into their victims to transform them that way is more disturbing to me.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I think the Borg had the scariest voice in First Contact. Much scarier than the series voice, even in Voyager.

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I voted for both. While the TNG Borg started out creepier due to being a 'force' rather than a body that could be reasoned with, I feel like 'Descent' did something to damage that feeling. Additionally, I know the suits and effects were impressive for the time, but while a little creepy they didn't do much to creep me out, aside from the way drones walked and behaved. I'd say it was overall the depiction in 'Q-Who' and 'Best of Both Worlds' that worked for me.

'First Contact' added the Queen to the mix which somewhat downplayed the idea of them as a force that cannot be reasoned with just a little (although there are very good explanations for her existence bandied about in the thread here that help restore that.) I feel that the introduction of assimilation tubules and the new more 'sick' looking appearance added greatly to the creep factor. To me, they were always cybernetic zombies but now they actually looked like it. Plus, they were able to retain the idea of surgery being a part of it, which is very creepy to me.