Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Kass18

Kass18 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Awww that's so cute. What a rare thing too since he is pretty much out of the public eye now days. 'Accidentally' running into that photo, its amazing what you can find online. Reminds me of how I 'accidentally' stumbled upon finding who Kate Mulgrew's daughter was. What you can find on the Internet is truly astonishing.

2. NightOwl

NightOwl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey all. Another member joins the flock. With the exception of occasionally watching VOY when I was very young, I recently started watching it for the first time. I knew there was something missing in life, but I never guessed it would be Star Trek ;)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. TungstenV

TungstenV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello all. Another fan decloaking here, lol. This site keeps popping up while I'm searching for Star Trek art ideas / quotes etc, so might as well join. Plus, I wanted to know - what happened to the Borg baby / Chakotay's (supposed) son etc? nm!
    I've seen all of TNG and DS9 but Voyager eps are the ones I've watched most (+4x) (Well, except the one we don't mention...) It is true that you can better appreciate the character interactions after a few views. :)

5. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Welcome NightOwl and TungstenV to the "flock". :)

The borg baby is one of those Voyager mysteries that keep cropping up along with where does Voyager get all those shuttles? There's some interesting theories to both!

6. metal gear 1

metal gear 1 Ensign Newbie

Hi I've been a star trek fan for a few years, particularly of Voyager. Signed up a couple of weeks ago. Just thought I would say hello. I look forward to getting to know you all and having some good discussions! :)

"May everyone live long and prosper!"

7. VulcanJedi

VulcanJedi Captain Captain

This is my favorite show. I finally, have started watching it, thanks to Netflix instant. I think it's the best of them all. It's got everything, Coffee too. I casually glanced at a few random episodes in the 90s, without paying attention, and thought Neelix looked annoying, which he sort of is, but now he's one of my favorite characters in ALL of Trek. Loved "Mortal Coil." Very touching, deep episode and what Trek is all about I think.

8. metal gear 1

Hi VulcanJedi yeah I have to confess Neelix is one of my favourite characters as well. When he first turned up in Caretaker, he just made me laugh so much! I've always liked his episodes, which admittedly I feel there wasn't enough. "Mortal Coil" I certainly feel was one of his best ones, certainly a moving one. I also loved the season one episode Jetrel. I thought it gave him a bit more of a back-story and his character some substance. Do you have any other fav characters at all?

9. F. King Daniel

Welcome, metal gear 1 and VulcanJedi, to the Voyager forum. Home of the everlasting, ongoing, server straining "How is Janeway Sexy?" thread.:techman:

10. VulcanJedi

VulcanJedi Captain Captain

I think all of the characters on Voyager are more endearing, warm and sympathetic than TNG or even classic Trek. Chakotay is far fuzzier than number one ever was, and frankly even B'lanna Torres is more down to earth, and human than Troi was. For all her fieryness (sexy) she is a more natural, warm character. I like the doctor----he's like Data in a more advanced form of development in his human like quality. The whole theme of the show seems to be about that. More real, more human, more down to earth. And questioning of everything---including Starfleet itself--hence the Maqui.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  11. metal gear 1

Hi VulcanJedi thanks for your response, it was interesting. What you say about the Voyager characters being more endearing, warm and sympathetic compared to TNG and classic Trek I think is quite true and what is great for me is that I've never thought of it that way until you described it to me. So thank you for that. B'lanna I think is more down to earth and a warm character but more in the later seasons, she was quite feisty and fiery in the first couple. In regards to the doctor he is my most fav characters and his template does parallel Data, which is why I think he is one of the most interesting characters on the show, this constant conflict the Doctor had being seen as a hologram or "flesh and blood," which I thought was one of the more fascinating aspects of Voyager. Is there any particular characters you don't like or you think are not as interesting as the others? One for me would have to be Harry Kim, he just didn't have many good storylines I feel, though he did have a couple of good episodes. Like Non- Sequitur and Timeless because he had something to do, but most times I found him bland and annoying. What do u think?

(Anyone is welcome to post their thoughts on this)

12. metal gear 1

Hi KingDaniel thanks for your welcome it's much appreciated. Always nice to meet a fellow Voyager fan!

13. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the cast and characters were one of Voyager's biggest pluses. Unfortunately I don't like what the writing did to several of them. Harry Kim did ab-so-lutely nothing interesting, and was filler. Chakotay was a promising character but he didn't ever get correctly developed, and aslo became filler. Neelix was extremely annoying for the first several seasons, but did manage get much better later on. Janeway also had a plethora of problems, and I don't think she got developed well. And she also became a Mary Sue in the later seasons.

But apart from those big grievances, the rest of the characters were pretty well done. I do think B'Elanna was hands down the best though, because she could carry so much of the show when given the chance. She certainly outdid Chakotay in what Maquis arc there was.

I also think that as awesome as The Doctor was, he was actually somewhat overused later on in the series, as well as Seven.

14. metal gear 1

Hi The Dominion thank you for contributing your opinion on the characters. You certainly made some interesting points. It did seem that the Doctor and Seven were used quite a lot in the later seasons. And the relationship between Seven and Janeway, which I thought was a interesting development sort of lost it's way as it became to just Seven and the Doctor. Chakotay did have some promise, but I found him largely bland at times as well (though nowhere near as bad as Harry Kim, as Chakotay did have some great episodes) particularly when he goes on about his father and the native tribe (Tattoo episode being one example). His whole past with the tribe and that sort of thing could have been really interesting, but I just don't think the writers wrote it right.

B'Elanna I wouldn't say for me was the best character in Voyager, but she is one of favourites and certainly I think her character was well developed over the seven seasons, particularly her constant conflict with being klingon-human hybrid. She did have some other good stories like her relationship with Tom (which when I first watched Voyager, I never saw that coming!) and her being in the Marquis.

15. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think the writers saw B'Elanna's relationship with Tom coming either, from the earlier episodes I was guessing they were going for a B'Elanna/Harry deal. Boy would that have sucked.

16. STPropGuy76

STPropGuy76 Cadet Newbie

Hello Everyone,
    I am the Newest Crew Member to come on board.
    I am a Star Trek Fan for 20 Years now.
    I am also a Trek Collector & Trek Prop Maker.
    I love just about every facet of Trek.
    I belong to many other Trek Forums as well.
    And I am happy to Associate myself with other Trek minded Persons.
    I'm glad to serve with all of you.

17. F. King Daniel

18. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Welcome newbies. Grab a coffee cup and start gabbing. :)

19. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    i love this place :D

20. CaptSlapaho

CaptSlapaho Cadet Newbie

I was hooked on Star Trek ever since Voyager. It got the ball rolling. Now I can't escape it.

I generally nerd out about but I'm the only one that watches it so dear internet friends, amuse me with your shenanigans