Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

And it serves as a good panic heal. the more enemies are in range the better the heal up to 100%.

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Its not overpowered. I believe devs treat the cane like a special console ability, one that's meant to be stronger than typical but has a much longer reuse time.

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I'm not saying it's "over" powered but it's my secret weapon when I can't advance on a ground mission.

4. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

watch this vid, and tell me if you find something strange about it.

We are playing ISE Conduit, and one of our fleet members does something strange, something that surprises us all, he takes down ninite collector with cube and ninite generators still intact. I didn't ask him how he does it, was too preoccupied with my mission part, getting killed, few times. (does not happen often, but with new borg enhancements creeps have added to the borg in season 7, maco shields stand no chance, something i find ridiculous, and reason why many players have left the game as of late, season 7 is a major screw up, our fleet that numbers 480-500 active players before season 7 started lost half of extremely good players, we did recover our number but only cause many smaller fleets have completely died and many players from these fleets are looking for good fleets to move in to, our fleet being one of the top 10 fleets in this game - level 15 fleet) anyways watch this vid and let me know what you think he has done so i might do the same next time, btw he dies often after, so there's something about him playing suicidal card to get the job done. anyways any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4As5IgnTPoU

5. Rocketeer

Mic - I tried to look but my connection to Youtube is slow at the moment. I probably wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmmm... I think some players don't understand the race. I've come in 4th and got the 1st place flag and come in 5th for the 2nd place flag. Are they running the race without "joining"?

I really like the Flurry. It's a little squishy but much better for taking down those pesky snowmen than using a regular snowball. Too bad we can't use those against other players. :-)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  6. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Either that or they are not grabbing the flags

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Its most likely a bug. I've mostly seen it in the form of being able to destroy the gateway without having to destroy the left or right nodes. Its intermittent and rare so I can't really tell what causes the bug, but I've seen it happen more than a few times.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I'm sure everyone who wasn't happy about the officer reports daily change will be happy they dropped it down to one mission and while they dropped the dilithium amount to 960 the also dropped the cool down to 30 mins so you can end up with more dilithium from it now if you don't mind the wait.

9. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Does it start the cd from the time you turn in the mission, or the time you start the mission? Because if it's the latter, you could do Foundry missions one after another, getting dil each time.

Much better than spending a bare minimum of 45 minutes to get that amount of dil in either case (which went against the dev's ideal of 8000 dil in 4 hours - you should get at least 50% more for the old way). And you still get the fleet marks every time.

Maybe fleets can get more back on their feet. It's still not the clickies, but still good.

10. Rocketeer

Most cooldowns are tied to the start of a mission. So if you don't have time to run it, go ahead and start it. Then next time you log in (with more time), you can run the mission then immediately run it again.

Change of subject

Is it necessary to grow those alien dogs? I think it's kind of cute as a pup, but I saw someone with a large one and it was downright ugly.

Tip - If you know that you should have one of the missions available to research or grow one but don't see it when you click on the Researcher, check your Personal available assignments.

I still see folks running around shooting player characters with their Flurry's and Avalanches. How are they doing that? It won't let me target another player character.

If you're into Accolades, don't forget that you can earn 4 or so in the Winter Wonderland.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  11. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Not sure, but a suggestion: Use shooter mode?

12. Timelord Victorious

It's not necessary to grow the Epohhs, but you can turn them in for Romulan Marks if you don't want to keep them.
    I think of them less as dogs and more like alien bunny pigs. They are obviously related to Targs.

13. Lotsurb

Lotsurb Cadet Newbie

Greetings!

I am new to the board and relatively new to Star Trek Online (joined shortly after it became free). I really love playing STO and have gone through all the episodic missions and a bunch of the fan-made ones.

I am a bit confused though by the 'season' updates, most recently Season 7. What is new about these updates? I do not see any new episodic missions despite the New Romulus mention. Obviously, I must be missing something so I thought I'd ask. I'm running out of things to do and am hungry for different/new content. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
    Lotsurb

14. Rocketeer

Lotsurb,

I think most of the Romulan material is for higher ranking characters and perhaps just for Vice Admirals / Lt Generals. Don't know if that explains why you're not seeing them.

I've only done two missions myself, one was releasing captured Romulan ships and another was disrupting the Tholians from building a web around the Vault. I found my engineer to be best equiped for handling the Tholians.

----

Epohhs

I normally don't bother with pets, but I think the little pups are funny. I didn't know if they would expire if not grown to full size by the end of the Winter Wonderland.

I had one candy striped pup follow me around during the snowman attack. Funny as hell because I'm constantly moving during the fight.

15. Lotsurb

Lotsurb Cadet Newbie

Thanks Rocketeer,

My rank is Admiral (lower half, I believe). If I need a higher one, I'll keep playing until I reach the right rank. The new missions should show up in the list of the game, right? In the section that lists out "Klingon Advance", "Romulan <something>", etc?

Thanks again.

16. Timelord Victorious

Once you reach Vice Admiral you have access to all the patrol missions in Tau Dewa sector block and can visit New Romulus.

The new episodes are all ground based while the patrols are all space.

The episode progression works a little different than what you know.

You have to unlock them through the Romulan Reputation. When you reach a new Reputation tier you get the next episode, so you will have to to a bit of grinding stuff in between.

17. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, with a new episode for each of the 5 reputation tiers and all of those episodes following an overarching plot, Cryptic essentially sneaked in a new featured episode series.

18. Timelord Victorious

i wouldn't go that far. The missions are fairly short and don't really feature anything new, which is the trademark of Feature episodes.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

So I started playing again and have found I've completely forgotten everything about the game. (It has been eight months.)

I started an engineer and leveled him up a bit to reacquaint myself with the controls. Unfortunately, I'm already having the same problem that forced me to quit before. There's something about ship movement that puts excessive strain on my mouse hand wrist.

It's strange because, as I just pointed out in the SWTOR thread, I use the mouse exclusively for movement in that game (and every other MMO), and can play for very long periods of time without ever having any trouble. But there's something about this that's just different.

I remember the last night I played I was up to the wee hours of the morning (for me) mucking about with Methos and intrinsical. Mostly, we just fooled around, but we did run a few STFs and that was most likely the problem. In any case, when I woke up the next day, I was in so much pain; I could barely hold a fork or pen for a week, let alone a mouse.

So I gave the game up after that. But I've been having Trek fever of late (who hasn't?) and was hoping the game would give me a needed fix.

I've tried keyboard turning. Suffice it to say that's not happening. I've also tried fiddling with the various camera and mouse sensitivity settings, but nothing seems to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

20. Rocketeer

CorporalClegg,

I have mild carpal tunnel from working on computers most of my life; however, it's compounded by arthritis. I use the ASD keys and arrow keys at the same time. Try to shift back and forth between the hands. It helps me. You could also try a gaming keyboard. Some tilt the keys so there's less stress on your wrist. I have a Fang pad which I use if I'm planning on doing heavy duty combat. It's a loose pad that connects by USB so you can place it or tilt it to suit your needs. You can map controls to the keys so everything is in easier reach.

Some players that I've talked with like the Nostromo Gaming Keypad.

Hope this helps.

---- Winter Wonderland

I thought I'd take on the snowman army in the NE corner. First I tried with snowballs and they pounded me so badly that I almost never got a shot in. Later I tried it with the Flurry and it was like shooting fish in a barrel. There was only 2 of us fighting the snowmen, one on the lake and me by the army. I ran back to the lake and had to work really hard. I had the Flurry but the other guy was just using snowballs. We almost ran out of time in both cases. Ran down to 30 secs killing the snowmen and down to 20 secs killing the Snowman Overlord.

Ironically, the rewards were chintzy considering that I killed approximately 125 snowmen and did most of the damage to the SO. I'm guessing that rewards scale by how many players participate.

In a couple of other snowman fights, the SO hit me with some serious punches. A couple of times he hit me and knocked me out into the snow crests. Once he hit me near the snowman in the lake and I flew backwards to the other side of the lake and landed up on the the snow crest. 71 meters distance by the target info.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.