Riker's Wedding

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by NeroShrimp, Jun 30, 2014.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I believe that a separate wedding on Betazed was mentioned as their next destination, hence the non-nudity on Earth.

2. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

You're correct. I guess it was a double wedding. One on Earth for Riker and one on Betazed for Troi. Too bad Troi never had a chance to get married on Betazed. Immediately after the battle with Shinzon, Riker and Troi were in negotiations to talk to the Romulans. But who knows, maybe they were still able to get married on Betazed.

3. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

One of the novels has Wesley appearing at the weeding naked out of thin air. He thought it WAS a betazoid wedding. ;-)

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

As an officer in Starfleet why wasn't she in her dress uniform?

Honestly can say I didn't notice the scenery, so it obviously had no impact on me.

5. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to agree with you. I know it's not the direction TPTB wanted to go, but in the end Frakes would have been a much better choice.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being married in her Dress Uniform would've been most appropriate and agreeable, indeed! What I suspect is that this was pretty much the only oppportunity, really, to show Deanna all dolled up, to underline for the audience why Shinzon might take such a fancy to her, later on. But even with that logic involved, the dress still looked "wrong" on her. Something much simpler, classier and more elegant should've been employed ... it looks like a Prom dress.

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I thought it was a holodeck in the movie but it must have been meant to be in Alaska looking at the tent shot.
    Yeh it was rubbish but I've seen worse in some of the other Star Trek movies.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My sister and her husband were active duty military when they got married. Neither one wore a uniform in the ceremony.

9. NeroShrimp

I'm sure Mr. Berman regrets getting Baird to direct the movie to this day. Well, live and (hopefully) learn I guess.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That was actually a decent novel, from the "A Time to..." series. Him appearing out of thin air naked was actually the authors explanation for why Wesley was in Uniform at the wedding even though he wasn't a commissioned officer.

11. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did they wear something?:whistle::whistle: She was also wearing civilian outfits at her mother's wedding in season 5. (Of course, it was before Chain of Command.) The "regular" procedure would have been only one ceremony on the Enteprise and not two ceremonies on two different planets, but forcing two Starfleet officers to have a wedding by the book would have been really innappropriate.

12. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I never understood why they married the characters to begin with?

Did the ceremony really have a great impact on the plot??? No.

13. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I thought that having them marry was very emotionally satisfying, but then I was a big fan of Troi and Riker as a couple. It was completely natural that they'd finally gotten to that point in their lives. It served the plot to have everyone together, including Worf.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Because it was a long time coming, and it made sense given the re-kindling of their relationship in "Insurrection."

15. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Not really but it allowed Picard to make his 'family' speech which always gets me misty eyed when I watch it

16. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It gives the context: Riker and Troi are leaving the Enterprise, Beverly too, Data gonna be the next XO. It's the end of the team.

17. NeroShrimp

It was something that was long awaited though. Riker and Troi were a hot item since 1987 so it's one of the very small things they got right in this film.