SUPERMAN (2012)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, May 30, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45282

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/494336/superman_set_to_return_in_2012.html

Published on May 28, 2010

Not really new news.

I am wondering how this will turn out...hopefully good. :shrug:

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Sherlock Holmes proved recently that you can have a big-budget blockbuster and it can still be successful given a winter release. Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and the James Bond franchises have all proved that big movies can do well in that time period, so I'm not worried. Green Lantern was originally scheduled for winter 2010, and Superman: The Movie was released December 15th, 1978, so it is almost perfectly appropriate.

The project is still in its early genesis stages so I think it would be premature to comment... All I will say is that I have faith in David Goyer as a writer (so long as he doesn't direct) and of course I have the utmost faith in Christopher Nolan. It'll be interesting to see if the team that relaunched Batman can do the same for Superman.

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I am hoping for the best here. :)

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, me too. Christopher Nolan hasn't disappointed me yet, so here's hoping.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Once casting is out the way...pretty much can let this thing happen...but people online will be wondering who will be Superman, Lois...etc...and the insanity won't stop until casting is official. I think SR would have faired better in the Fall/Winter...coming out one week before PoTC...didn't help...it wasn't a bad movie just not what most fans expected.

6. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't some of the highest grossing films in history had winter releases?

Titanic - December 19th

Just to name two.

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...never heard of them. What are they about? ;)

8. Chaos Descending

They are about some people who did some stuff somewhere, and then something happened and then there were credits and the lights came back on.

;)

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And there was a song at the end, I think.

10. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude. You CANNOT GO WRONG with a song at the end! Key to success, right there!

11. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I personally don't get why they still think the time of year is important. Sure, going up against competition is going to affect things, but why is it all summer or winter? Who cares if the movie comes out February 1st rather than June 1st? People don't only go to the movies two days a year or something for crying out loud.

If anything, like most business models these days, it all seems self perpetuating. They only release movies at specific times. Those movies do well. So, clearly, it was the timing of their release that was the crux of the success.

Absurd.

12. Chaos Descending

Well, to be fair, time of year is important MAINLY for making sure that kids are out of school to be able to see the movies.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Holiday weekends are also a big time for people go to the movies, which is why you see so many getting launched around Memorial Day. In fact, Memorial Day is considered the official kickoff of the summer blockbuster season.

Since the big movies are held for summer and winter releases, we get a whole lot of pure garbage in the spring and autumn. That's usually where you will find the sleeper hits--one or two good movies amid dozens of shittastic proportions.

14. Greg Cox

The other problem with winter is that weather can keep people indoors. Look at poor DAREDEVIL. It's opening weekend take was severely impacted by a major snowstorm that shut down most of the East Coast.

I wrote the novelization and even I couldn't make it to a screening for a week . . . .

15. Chaos Descending

I'm not familiar with this phenomenon.

16. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

That's your example? You think the weather is what was keeping people from watching that movie?

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I don't think that really holds water. Avatar's first weekend (I think?) was severely impacted by a major blizzard in the northeastern US. Even with that, it went on to become the highest-grossing film of all time.

Daredevil got poor receipts because it was just a mediocre movie and didn't have anything going for it to get butts in seats.

18. Greg Cox

The movie was #1 at the box office and made money. But it's generally accepted that the box office was badly hurt by the blizzard.

I know there have other instances of severe weather hurting a film's box office take. I just happen to remember DAREDEVIL because of my personal connection to the film.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm excited and I think it will be good...there was an article back in Feb from Nolan who discussed the project a bit and David's script featured Luthor and Brainiac as well building a mythology around the film. I'm pretty sure the article was posted in the other Superman Nolan thread...

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised at the indication that some people are making about winter releases. Isn't the winter movie season known for being a bedrock of big releases?

As for Daredevil...keep in mind it was released in February (Valentine's Day, to be exact). The late winter season is very different from the Thanksgiving-Christmas winter season.

I remember that. It was this, right?