Janeways Ready Room

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Defiant Obrien, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defiant Obrien

Defiant Obrien Lieutenant

Has anyone noticed, that Janeways ready room is the size of Club Med?

I mean, picard had a walk-in closet with a sofa and a fishtank... Sisko, has an office with ...well ok.. a really pretentious desk.

..but Janeway has a nail salon with, sculptures, a couch, loveseat, virtual greenhouse and wall to wall carpeting! Its just pompous... What the bloody hell is she getting ready for????

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I think it compensated for the rather austere quality of the rest of the ship.

Qonundrum and danellis like this.
  3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've never been to Club Med, so can't make an accurate comparison.

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh I very much noticed the ostentatious and crazy huge ready room. Doesn't seem right for an Intrepid class ship.

One could argue a Galaxy class ship ready room versus an Intrepid class ready room versus Nebula class and so on. I don't know if strict comparisons would be workable.

A Galaxy class ready room is just that, a ready room for immediate bridge duty. A Galaxy class captain would also have a larger more formal office as well as work area in his quarters plus additional executive conference rooms and all kinds of facilities at his convenience. Maybe Picard had a dozen different work areas but preferred the ready room so we saw mainly that.

An Intrepid class captain may have to work with more limited facilities, with the ready room doubling as captain's formal office and work area. Hence one huge room rather than a half dozen individualized areas. Or something.

But yeah, it bothered me that Janeway has a huge spread over Picard's rather cramped space.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Women need more space than men that's why.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it was a bit silly that supposedly small cramped ship had a huge captain's ready room, not to mention a captain's personal galley.

7. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Of course it could simply be "design" differences. Voyager at the beginning was a brand new ship. I have no idea why anyone would care in the first place. The design of sets has more to do with visually pleasing shots than worrying about who is more deserving of a bigger ready room. After all Kirk didn't have one at all.

http://www.utopiaplanitia.info/voyready.html

http://www.utopiaplanitia.info/entdready.html

If you look at the plans there really isn't a lot of differences in the size of either one.

Lynx likes this.
  8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway had a super big ready room because the Intrepid class ship didn't have lots of other spaces. The room is more all purpose, hence bigger.

9. Melakon

And the raised level of Janeway's room makes it look larger with those huge windows.

EDIT: Two fairly accurate meshes for Poser of the Janeway and Picard ready rooms, which appear to have been based on stage drawings. Textures are not Trek authentic. Janeway's room is on the left, and I've removed the big window wall. The light colored speck in both rooms is a human female figure for scale.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard had two ready rooms (one next to the main bridge and one next to the battle bridge) and could have had another office suite somewhere else in the ship where he could work from when not on watch (perhaps near his quarters). The Intrepid-Class only has space for one ready room, so might as well make it large enough to fulfil all possible needs. That's a possible explanation anyway.

11. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Her ready room was giant, but the ship was brand new. Maybe all of the ships made in Voyager's and Post-Voyager's time have huge ready rooms. :P

And... to be fair, she did end up getting lost in the Delta Quadrant for years. A gigantic ready room comes in handy.

12. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What i don't get is having a private mess hall....and since it was appropriated by Neelix and the crew, does that mean there wasn't a main mess hall for the crew?

Where did everyone else eat?

13. Third Nacelle

The whole mess hall wasn't hers... the galley Neelix cooked in was originally her walled off private dining room.

14. hux

Oh right, you mean the area where he did the actual cooking was her private area....huh...i always thought they meant the whole thing cos it was so small....too small to be the whole crews dining area surely...then again, 10 forward probably wasn't big enough for the whole enterprise crew

I always just assumed that there must be lots of mess halls throughout the various ships and we only saw the ones that the bridge crew used...i guess most people must just eat in their quarters

15. Third Nacelle

There is at least one other mess hall on the Enterprise-D. You see it in Where No One Has Gone Before just as the guy in the string quartet realizes he is not really in a string quartet.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

There's wind in space? :confused:

17. Melakon

Solar winds.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? That does make a certain amount of sense but the season 1 ep where Neelix confiscated the dining room made it seem like the whole area was her own dining room to me.

Well of course! I mean how else can we hear booms, explosions, ships flying by and stuff in space? :p

19. hux

Phew...glad i wasn't the only one that got that impression from the scene....it was Phage i believe and it definitely felt like they were suggesting the whole room was hers...i'm sure she even waved her hand to suggest the whole place....hmmm dunno, might have to check (unless someone's got a clip they can conveniently produce)

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    She's fabulous, she needs fabulous accommodation. That's why Harry gets to stay around, he's also the cabana boy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.