ST:TMP 20th anniversary soundtrack: worth it if I have the original?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Sgt. Sacrament, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Sgt. Sacrament

Sgt. Sacrament Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Howdy all,

I posted a question about the Nemesis soundtrack a week ago and got some helpful advice, so here's another one: I have the incredible soundtrack for Star Trek: The Motion Picture on the original CD release. There was a 2-disc 20th Anniversary edition released some time ago that has extra cues from the score on the first disc and interviews on the second. I couldn't care less about the interviews, but I wondered, is it worth it to pick up this release for the additional music? (FWIW, the sound transfer on the original release is excellent for the (poor) system I have to listen to it on, so that's not an issue. Contrast this to the 'tinny' sound of the original CD release for ST2:TWOK that I have, and for that one I'm going to get the newer expanded release.)

Thanks in advance! Tim

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: ST:TMP 20th anniversary soundtrack: worth it if I have the origina

The extra music cues are definitely worth having. There's some gorgeous stuff there.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's definitely worth it. There are a number of great additional cues (although it still isn't close to being complete, so don't be surprised if another release happens in the next ten years) and the overall package is excellent. And the second disc, "Inside Star Trek," is a lot of fun, too, even if much of it is Roddenberry repeating his favorite myths about the series.

4. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I love Inside Star Trek--have ever since I got it on vinyl back in the 70s--though you're right, it's pretty much Gene's Version Of Things. Having said that, it is an awful lot of fun, and definitely showcases Roddenberry's tremendous charm and charisma. And it now has a kind of poignancy, in that of all those who appear on the record--William Shatner, DeForest Kelley, Mark Lenard (in character as Sarek), Isaac Asimov, and Roddenberry himself--only Shatner is still with us.

Oh, uh, and as to the OP's question: yes, do buy it. Some of the best music ever written for Star Trek, and well worth having.

5. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Worth it. Best CD Crescendo ever released. Nice sound. Great extra tracks.

6. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Sony released it.

That being said, it's a fantastic score and worth owning.

7. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'd recommend it to someone who doesn't like Star Trek, but loves music, as an essential album.

8. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I still can't believe the anniversary dvd didn't have an isolated score ala Patton. I've been piecing a "complete score" together for years from bits found all over the Net. Still far from finished. It would be alot easier if they would just release one.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Totally agree!

It has new introductory stuff from Nichelle Nichols, and she's still with us.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I love it when an isolated score is included, particularly on Blu-ray with its higher quality encoding. I'm not saying it's possible to do this, but there may be software to extract said encode and create a custom soundtrack for your personal edification - I wouldn't necessarily condone doing such a thing of course.

11. ClayinCA

Yeah, I know, but I meant the record, as that's the version I grew up with, and my homemade CD of the record is what I still listen to (since I made it before the rerelease came out). The Nichelle stuff on the CD version doesn't really add anything to it, anyway.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Other bonus tracks on the CD are: "About science fiction", "The 'Genesis II' pilot" and "Cyborg tools and ET lifeforms", which must have been trimmed from the original LP before release.

13. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

My TMP soundtrack recording is an 8-track tape that I bought new. (I have the only player in my family that's still working: a Weltron 2001 am/fm/tape player, circa 1973, designed to resemble a space pod from 2001.) I suppose it's time to upgrade to the CD set...

14. JDF

JDF Captain Captain

Interesting. That's how I bought the soundtrack originally,too. But I did get the 20th anniversary cd a few years back. Great stuff, and very much worth it. Yes, the "Inside Star Trek" stuff is good for a listen or two, but that's about it.

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say it's worth it, yeah.

16. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

I'd say buy it for ethical reasons and then go hunt around the torrents for a 3 disk bootleg that has every single note from the movie in it. I ripped my copy of the CD for it's better sound quality and then added the extra tracks from the torrent into my itunes to have a complete OST. There's also some alternate versions in the bootleg.

17. Indysolo

No it doesn't. It doesn't have the blaster beam overlay on "The Meld" and the album version of "The Cloud" has an internal edit. Hopefully someday this score will get the same expanded treatment that Trek's II, III and V got. It more than deserves it. For now though the Sony album is a nice release.

Neil

18. ClayinCA

Oh man, you're right - I'd forgotten all about those! (Like I say, I mostly remember Inside Star Trek from my original LP version.) I need to relisten to the CD version, I guess...

Wow, I never notied that either. Well...feh.

Your mouth to the Great Bird's ears, mate. :)

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The Sony album version of "The Force Field" is also a different take than in the film, as the opening blaster beam is a lot different.

20. Indysolo

Well the opening of the Main Title on the album is different from the original film opening, too. And I think the film had a different blaster beam hit at the start of "Klingon Attack". All sorts of little differences.

Neil