iPad to wifi or wifi & 3G?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Tom Hendricks, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't want to turn this into a debate about usefullness or pro/con apple. I'm buying an iPad and I'm having a tough time deciding between the wifi only and wifi & 3G. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 32GB version.

I use my iPhone to surf the net a lot, especially on 3G so I'm thinking thatvis the way to go. Anyone else getting an iPad and have you made a decision and what is it?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, I can tell you that I wish my iPod Touch has 3G instead of just wifi. I constantly find myself wanting to use but not being anywhere near in a wifi router.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My dad and I are getting iPads with 3G. You never know when you might need it. And you can activate and deactivate the data plan pretty much at will (AFAIK, there's even a control *on the iPad* to do this) - there's no contract.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well, if youre going to shell out the money on the iPad you might as well not get the gimped version and get it with 3g

5. omegaone

omegaone Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'll be going wifi myself if I get the Ipad, 3G bandwidth in Australia costs heaps.

6. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know that I'd miss even the piddly EDGE speeds that my original iPhone supports if I were to try to go WiFi only. Since the data plans are so reasonable in the US, I'd get the 3G version in a heartbeat.

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The answer to this question depends on how good AT&T's 3G coverage is in your area, and the places you are likely to go.

8. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

If i were to get a Ipad, which I'm not though, i certainly get the 3G one.

9. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're going to get an iPad, I think you pretty much need to get 3G. I don't understand the point in having a portable device that's designed to access the web if you can't use it whenever, wherever you want.

10. Tom Hendricks

I agree, looks like I will pre-order the 3G version. Especially after Steve Jobs said no to tethering with the iPhone.

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, 3G is the way to go.

12. Tom Hendricks

Well I pre-ordered the 32GB 3G version this morning. So I have a little wait, no biggie. I'm looking forward to April 3rd when I can go to an Apple store and try it out before I get mine.

I didn't order any of the peripherals to go with it. Figured I would take a look at them in person and decide. Also want to see what others come up with. I hope that Timbuk 2 develops some nice things for it.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Something that's suddenly made me a lot more inclined to buy one, quietly added to the specs page:

AVI support ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  14. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

I was uncertain for a short while after somebody reminded me of Verizons mifi and the like, but the monthly AT&T plans are much closer to what I will need.

I ordered the 3G version of the 64GB iPad today.

15. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Early reports are suggesting that the iPad was averaging 25,000 pre-orders per hour today.

16. Tom Hendricks

I think the iPad is perfect for me and last week really underscores it, I went to Florida on vacation. I brought 4 books to read, my laptop to check e-mail and such and of course my iPhone. Well I did get to read my four books, but I never took my laptop out of the bag and checked my e-mail and surfed the web on the iPhone. The iPad could have taken the place of everything and I wouldn't needed to lug my Macbook Pro with me on vacation.

So I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

17. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Good, that probably means iPhones and iPod Touches will support .avi files in the future and I won't have to keep converting them.