Major spoilers from upcoming Fall novels.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by David Brennon, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Sonya Gomez is a captain despite the fact that in her few (two?) canonical appearances she was a junior officer working for Geordi.

Things happen. Seniority and position aren't everything.

2. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Riker is away from Earth, exploring. He's untouched by the current situation, and Akaar trusts him.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Akaar knows that there are several people in Starfleet Headquarters who have disagreed with his decisions and secretly fed information to the President Pro Tempore's office, thereby subverting the chain of command -- and Ishan himself has subverted the chain of command and illegally issued orders himself. Akaar also does not trust Ishan.

Therefore, Akaar is looking for an ally he can install into the admiralty, who will have all the same authorities any admiral would have over the rest of Starfleet, and he's looking for someone whom he knows is not linked to Ishan's circle. That leads him to Riker, whom he knows has been deep in unexplored space in the Beta Quadrant for the last four years. He also, you might recall, has an existing relationship with Riker, stemming from his time aboard the Titan back in Taking Wing and The Red King.

I agree completely. I'm just sayin' you can point out he's an authoritarian asshole without insulting his Bajoran nose. The Bajoran-American Anti-Defamation League would object. ;)

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Was it really an insult against the Bajoran physical form? I took 'broken nose' to mean 'damage from being in a fight'. Although by the 24th century that term could have mutated into a racial insult, I suppose.

5. Sci

1. The reference was to wanting to punch Ishan in the nose, except that his nose is "already broken." There is no reference to Ishan having a broken nose in the novels so far; thus this is clearly a reference to Ishan's Bajoran nose.

2. I meant that as a teasing thing, not as something that's meant to be taken as a real or earnest criticism. It's just a joke. :)

6. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

I was under the impression that Akaar's "perfect man for the job" thing in A Ceremony of Losses was actually referring to Tuvok (and getting him to investigate Ishan) and not to Riker.

7. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess it depends on the job - Riker, if he wants someone to help resist Ishan, Tuvok if he wants to investigate Ishan. I'm assuming it's Riker, simply because of the promotion. The line could be interpreted either way.

8. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given the size of the fleet there would theoretically be a couple of hundred officers with the rank of admiral.
    So what does Riker have that Akaar wants?
    Mobility and autonomy in the shape of Titan?

9. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

Don't discount THE BEARD. You don't want to make THE BEARD angry.

But on the text itself:
    I’m beset by serpents on all sides, Akaar brooded as he stepped inside a transporter alcove for the return to Starfleet Command. Even in my own headquarters, officers under my command betray my trust. I need someone untouched by this pro tem administration. Someone above reproach. Someone I can trust to help me get to the root of Ishan’s hidden agenda.

Note the bolded sentence and what that line says. This sounds more like the supposed investigations Tuvok will be undertaking in The Poisoned Chalice than anything involving Will Riker. Now putting Will Riker into an important position at Starfleet Command might also be a way for Akaar to put an asskicker in charge of a part of Starfleet to help him keep things in order, but I think that's very much a side benefit with Akaar's primary goal being to find a way to get Tuvok back to Earth.

10. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Didn't Akaar not like Tuvok, or was that resolved?

11. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

It was resolved in the second Titan book, "The Red King".

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Their history was alluded to in the Titan novels. Akaar seems to respect Tuvok despite any differences they might have, which might explain why he's tasked him with finding out what Ishan's up to.

--Sran

13. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

my one wish for the poisoned chalice is that tuvok does his investigating whilst wearing sunglasses and doing his best horatio caine impersonation. i'd also like one of the chapters to end with a terrible horatio caine style pun and a YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvok as Horatio Caine? I'd watch that.

"The victim was wearing a particular brand of rubberized boots. They appear to be..."

(puts on sunglasses)

"....Vulcanized."

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

15. Sci

Mr. Laser Beam wins the Internet!

Edited to add:

And mickmike wins... ummm.... err.... television! Mr. Laser Beam wins the Internet and mickmike wins television! ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  16. Agony_Boothb

i feel i should at least get a writing credit or best supporting comment or something for providing the source material for mr. laser beam's internet winning zing.

17. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, THIS is why posting zing ideas on this message board is a bad idea. ;)

18. Agony_Boothb

True, but there was a chance I could have won the internet and i couldn't pass it up.

19. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Don't worry, you're better off without it. First off, you have to find space on an end table or something where you can put it. Then there's the incessant blinking... blinking... blinking...

And then if you should accidentally knock it off the table... :eek:

20. Agony_Boothb

YES! now that i control television, i'll be able to put an end to reality tv once and for all.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013