Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by EmoBorg, Jul 19, 2013.

1. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

I would disagree with this statement.

The people I knew growing up, who spent the most money on music were individuals who were hardcore into stuff like less popular heavy metal bands. For such individuals I knew back in the day, how the music sounded was everything. They were the ones who listened to stuff like the first few albums from then-unknown bands like Metallica, Slayer, etc ... before anybody else knew who these bands were. (The lead singers of such bands were largely uncharismatic and went on stage in their everyday street clothes).

2. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7U1HIhxfA

The thing about rock is it endures. It may not seem to be "mainstream", and to be honest I'm not sure if it ever truly was, but many other music trends tend to come and go. For example, how many New Romantic groups are still going today after the 1980's?

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

You can't kill the Metal. The Metal will live on.

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the view of rock you have is just too narrow. By the way, I love all of those 90s bands you mentioned, that was basically my teenage years. I'm still obsessed with the Foo Fighters.

I think that what happened was that bubblegum pop (Britney Spears, boy bands) became popular for a while, and then we moved into hip hop and rap. I would say that within the past two years or so we are trending towards rock again. I was just thinking this the other day as I was listening to some popular radio stations on a long drive and noticed that, since the last time I spent a lot of time listening to the radio, there was a lot less hip hop and a lot more "rock." I use the term rock fluidly. I think the new rock is the more indie and "leaning towards alternative" stuff, like Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, Young the Giant, Neon Trees, fun., Grouplove, AWOLNATION, One Republic, etc. I hear these bands more and more on mainstream radio and see them on the charts. If you take a more narrow view of rock, then you may not count bands like these, but I do. I think they just tend to be more the "alternative" or "folk" type of rock, but that's still rock to me.

So to answer your question, I think rock is becoming mainstream again right now. But like all music, it has evolved into something new.

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No he didn't. Almost nothing he sang was written by him, though sometimes he'd be credited as a writer so he could get royalties, and occasionally he'd make alterations to a song before recording it

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Gotta disagree. Elvis is one of the founding fathers of Rock and Roll. The Beatles are the founding fathers of Rock. Many, if not all, of the Rock acts that followed probably wouldn't be here with out them. The Beatles might have started as teen heart throbs with "cute personalities" but they rapidly evolved beyond that.

7. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of the Crap "So Called" Rock Stations are playing is revolting, thank Christ for my "Hair nation and Ozzy's Bone Yard etc."
    I just think of that Steel Panther song "Death to all But Metal"(Explicit Language)
    When I hear that annoying Fun song in the Mall.

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Steel Panther are hilarious, but hey need to do a movie or TV show or something though. I only have so much tolerance for novelty music.

The music is actually strong, and they are fantastic players, but the jokeyness of it wears thin after a while. I tend to listen to music to be moved, rather than amused.

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Ahhh, but what is Metal?

When we were kids, that was your beloved AC/DC, my beloved Purple, and bands of that ilk, Zep, Sabs so on. Now Metal is bands with screaming /cookie monster vocals and hitting their instruments so hard it's amazing there's anything left. So the definition has shifted, and that may need to be further defined.

-- Australis, sounding like an old man

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    for a broader view:

[​IMG]

11. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would say what you are talking about (Sabbath, Zeppelin) is Heavy Metal. Metal is a broad term, encompassing Heavy Metal and lots of other types of Metal.

12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I think 'ignorant' is more accurate. Others have already pointed out the fallacy in what Jirin wrote about Elvis so I won't belabor that point.

The Beatles were popular because they wrote great songs and also did great covers. The fact that they had a great look and pleasing personalities only enhanced their popularity. Eventually the mainstream caught on to the fact that Lennon/McCartney were one of best pop/rock writing duos ever, which is the reason the Beatles are held in such high esteem to this day both artistically as well as commecially.

Someone else can straighten him out baout the 70's.

13. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I agree that rock has changed alot especially Metal. 70's metal is so different from 90s metal.

Music changes and evolve and as a result we have a wide range of rock music sub genres.

70's Paul McCartney's Wings music, 80's Hall & Oates music and 90's Gin Blossoms music are all rock music.

Rock music falls under a huge umbrella, from Death Metal to Alternative Rock to Pop Rock. That is why i Love Rock. It is so diverse and awesome.

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

^ And for that reason it will survive.

You've answered your own question. :)

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maD5k-vUI4o[/yt]

16. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Forget mainstream rock and embrace Norwegian Mariachi Surf Punk
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Mj79dJvOw[/yt]

17. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

I've always been a rock n roller and I've hoped that the newest big thing would come around since Kurt Cobain died. It always seems like each decade has its one big band that sort of defines the genre. We had Elvis, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana. Then in the 2000s, we sort of had big bands; Foo Fighters, Creed, Linkin Park. We also had Jack Johnson, OAR, and other acoustic rock bands. Now we have acoustic/folk/bluegrass bands. I think they are great bands and I hope they keep up the good work, but I do want to see that good old rock N' roll. The Band that I'm really happy with is the Alabama Shakes. I think they could be a big deal. I'm happy to see bands from the 90s make comebacks like Alice in Chains, the Offspring, Sublime, and Soundgarden. I do think there needs to be a huge overhaul in the music business. I hope the bands just get back to touring and maybe put out short albums or something. I hope to see rock come back, long live rock.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:

I'll see your Norwegian Mariachi Surf Punk and raise you Nashville-based lucha libre surf punks who play superhero theme songs:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQObcBNYCdE[/yt]

19. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw them last year.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YtHolJMgI0[/yt]

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral