TWOP is going away

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Kitty, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Kitty

Kitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For those who post at Television Without Pity, the site is going down finally on 5/31/14, not accessible to the public any longer.

Good memories for me at that site with Lost discussion and other sci fi.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is it going away?

3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering why as well, teacake. Been a member there since 09', and I'm gonna miss it :(. Loved talking about the X-Files with other members and just hanging out on the boards every so often.

4. Kitty

Kitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They haven't said why. The original founders of TWoP have a new site - previously.tv. I had a peek and the site looks OK but very few posters.

The Lost forums are really part of TV history and this will be a loss. Lots of other beloved forums as well. No longer accessible to the public. I don't even understand that.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

NBC/Universal bought the site a few years ago. It looks like they haven't been able to make any money out of it, so they're just cutting their losses and shutting it down. A shame.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried posting there a few times but the moderation was insane. We've got it pretty easy over here.

7. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

This appears to work pretty well if you want to download a copy of the entire site before it goes down. Might want to start it now, if so, though, because it could take a while.
    http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

People can't just leave things alone.

9. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's unfortunate. Though it's been a bit of time since I followed it regularly, I always found it a place of sophisticated, if in a number of cases, rather idiosyncratic analysis. If for nothing other than referring to it for dependable trope cues (as I don't really watch much current television at this time), I will miss its presence!:(

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It costs money to run and NBCUniversal doesn't feel like spending it anymore.

I like the site but I can totally get not being able to make any money from it.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I won't miss it. It's crazy to have a forum where the threads are 8000 pages long, and you can use every swear word ever invented, but can't post something like "I don't understand why people don't like <insert name of reality show contestant>, can someone explain, please" without getting an infraction. It was a sincere request for information, since I'd missed the season some people were making occasional references to. And I know the bandwidth adds up, but honestly - no avatars, no sigs, no smileys, not even anything basic like the quote button enabled?

12. Robert Maxwell

On TWoP, mods usually assume nothing is a "sincere request for information," so you probably got caught in the crossfire on that one by being the rare specimen that was indeed sincere.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to start my own forum to gripe about TV shows, with blackjack and hookers!

14. Robert Maxwell

It's been done.

15. Random_Spock

Yea that was rather silly. Previously tv lets people have avatars, but they're REALLY small ones. And sigs aren't even there. Not a huge loss in that regard. It would make sense to at least have quote buttons at TWOP. Previously tv at least has that enabled. Makes things A LOT easier.

16. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'll miss it. There were some great discussions there.

17. Random_Spock

I got a warning for using smilies like : ) and : p too much. As in a few times in a post :lol:. At least I can some what over on previously.tv... but I still watch my p's and q's just in case. Thought that rule was rather silly tbh, considering there are times when an emoticon can help a sentence or make a point.

@ T'Bonz: Me too, and moderation flaws aside. Some of the discussion was pretty funny. Their motivational poster thread had me in stitches sometimes. And their X-Files board could get busy every now and then and we had some pretty decent discussion on it. Am working on saving what I can from it now. For what it's worth :).

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That is completely insane. I posted in the OLTL, GH, Survivor, Big Brother, and Amazing Race forums. There were a lot of arguments there that could have been diffused if they'd let us use even basic smileys.

The only funny conversation I recall was in the General Hospital forum, when some of us decided to promote Cake for an award for Best Inanimate Character (or whatever it's called). That was when Sonny Corinthos' girlfriend went crazy and stabbed his beautiful chocolate birthday cake to death in another room, just before it was supposed to be served to the party guests. By the time she was done with it, she was covered in chocolate icing, and the cake looked like a two-year-old had gotten into it.

19. Random_Spock

Agreed. It was ludicrous that they didn't let us do that. There are times when a smiley really can help make a point clear.

:guffaw: Nice.

One of the funny ones I remember in the XF board was in regards to what someone had said about the kiss in IWTB. Some guy thought the actors kissed like brother and sister. And someone commented about it, saying that it would be weird if that happened... and that they 'the characters' are definitely NOT brother and sister :lol:.

The mod came by and told us not to talk board on boards... but to be honest, I didn't care. It was too good not to share :p. Not to mention, it was all in good fun. Not meant to make fun of the other person in any way :).

20. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't post much, but the "My Motivation is This" thread was always good for a laugh. I'll miss the whole site. I liked the recaps.