That's not MY ship...!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Praetor, May 3, 2009.

1. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mm, yes. The clam shell design and the stealth enterprise, respectively.

The only concern I've ever had was whether the design was to my taste. Like Dennis, I needed to warm-up to the E-D. I never cared much for the E-E. The thing looked like it was gonna stab me then shoot a smart missile down my chimney.

As for the 'timeline affected' enterprise in the new film I am thrilled that it looks like the enterprise. The details are a matter of taste, it's still the same shape. I love that about the design, 'cause, hey, coulda been a clam shell. ;)

2. ltcmmanderdata

ltcmmanderdata Lieutenant Commander

i didn't like the refit enterprise in tmp. it made me want the ship from the tv series back.

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Oh, please elaborate, ltcmmanderdata. I'm very interested in people with this perspective. :)

4. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

^I second! don't just say you don't like it, tell us why?

5. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I like all the designs for various reasons they seem to have pros and cons. Some are love at first sight others grow on me like the NX-01 and the Trek XI Enterprise. At least the designs for Voyager and the Defiant aren't Enterprises so they don't have as much to live up to.

6. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i think that's the point. when you come into tech that enables you to do better wouldn't you?

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^It isn't the more advanced FX technology that I've difficulty with. It's the purely aesthetic changes. But again, this is under the subject of continuity.

8. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Commodore Commodore

Being a TOS loyalist in the 80s I was vehemently opposed to the Enterprise-D and I have to say that I am still not fond of it. It doesn't evoke a space vessel when I see it, rather something designed to look pretty. That didn't cut it for me and I much prefer the Enterprise-E. I must say though, I prefer all of the Enterprises over the Defiant and Voyager, the latter two just don't cut it, irrespective of the quality (or lack thereof) of the shows they are from.

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Have to say I loved the refit. Almost brought tears to my eyes in at the theater as it was first flown by and then shown in all its glory. Was less happy when the added the "A" to it. I cant remember to many people who disliked the design back then but ther wasnt any place to really discuss it.

10. ltcmmanderdata

ltcmmanderdata Lieutenant Commander

responding to praetor and miraclefan. i just preferred the way the ship looked on the original show is all. changing the ship in tmp seemed almost like recasting one of the major characters with a different actor. that's all it is.

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, think of all the additions the refit has over the TOS version, and just think of it as the same actor but with a few more wrinkles and different hair. Hey, it works for William Shatner :)

12. Praetor

I don't know, I think that's pretty fair. That's how I felt when they blew up the D and replaced it with the E - only I suppose in that case it was more like a stomach stapling. :)

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, if you want to go that far: if we think of the ship as a character (and rightfully so, as we all do) and then personify it, does that mean the Enterprise-D willingly decapitated herself to escape her exploding body?

...am I going just a wee bit too far with this?

14. miraclefan

Nope! for one you havent gotten this thread closed!:p

15. Praetor

:rommie:

More like what the producers did to it, but... ;)

16. miraclefan

:lol: Well lets just be honest, they wanted a ''SEXIER'' ship for the BIG screen!

17. Praetor

*vomits*

;)

18. miraclefan

^I know how you feel!:D (DAMN THOSE ''SUITS'' N MESSING WITH THANGS THEY DO'T UNTERSTAND!)

19. Praetor

^I knew you'd understand. :rommie:

I mean, I like the E. The impulse engines pointing into the Bussards thing doesn't even bother me. Sure it's a little over-detailed. But it's the way it was done that bugs me.

20. miraclefan

It's overdetailed!:p one of the reason's I'm experamenting with blender is so I can ''correct'' some of more glareing details. Plus I thought the nacelles stuck out a little too long, I would have put them closer to the saucer.