Who is your favourite and least favourite captain?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by garaks the best, May 4, 2013.

1. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

My fav is sisko because i liked seeing a captain who was a family man and i personally enjoyed his emissary story.In the pale moonlight also cemented him as the captain i like the most.

Picard sadly gets my vote as my least favourite but not because i dislike him i just like the others a little more.

2. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Picard is my favourite. He's an intellectual, a diplomat, sophisticated and a blend of my two favourite countries: UK and France. He seems to me to be the Captain who stands up for human (and alien) dignity and rights.

My least favourite would be Captain Archer. I admit to not having seen a lot of Enterprise but he was bland, dithered a lot and had little charisma.

3. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Favorite: Captain Kirk, a great captain and childhood hero of mine. Brilliant at strategy and coming up with unique situations to problems.

Least Favorite: Captain Janeway. She was okay at times, but I didn't always agree with many of her decisions and didn't think the writing for her was very consistent.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard would be my favorite. To me, he pretty much epitomized what a Starfleet captain should be. A cultured man, calm in a crisis, a skilled diplomat and negotiator, who quietly won the loyalty and respect of his people by being quietly competent.

Archer... is the exact opposite. He often seemed panicked as if he was over his head much of the time. He seemed to have zero diplomatic skills, quarreled with his subordinates regularly, and never had a plan for anything. While he was good at improvising his way out of situations, he'd have avoided getting into most of them if he had just listened to his subordinates or done some planning ahead of time.

As for middle of the pack? Sisko, Kirk and Janeway in that order.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Kirk or Picard for me. OK - Picard, he's more cerebral.

And Janeway. Couldn't stand her. Maybe played by a different actress she'd have been less awful, but I don't know...

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Favorite: Kirk.

Least favorite: Archer.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Favorite: Benjamin Sisko-the most realistic and down-to-earth captain.

Least favorite: Jonathan Archer-I just don't think this captain had much swagger to him.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You didn't specify main characters, so I'm going outside the box:

Favorite: Captain Proton
    Worst: Captain Dirgo (TNG: Final Mission)

9. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Favourite: Kirk

Least Favourite: Archer

10. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Kirk Favorite
    Picard Least Favorite

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Favorite: Picard

No character in history has more moral force than Picard.

Least favorite: Archer

Archer had a way of delivering lines that I just found irritating.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Favorite: Kirk. Big risk, big reward character.

Least Favorite: I really don't have a least favorite.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Favorite: Either Picard or Janeway

Least Favorite: Sisko

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

It really is a serious tie between kirk and Picard. I can't choose a side because they're both so good yet so different. Archer would be my least favorite.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So, you're with Weird Al? ;)

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Favorite: Sisko. He seems the most human to me, and just a nice guy, even though he has some issues.

Least favorite: Janeway. But that's because of how the character was written, she was all over the place, being nice and sympathetic in one episode, and a right psychopath the next.

17. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Favorite: Picard. He's calm, dignified, eloquent, and brilliant. And I love that he's this commanding figure, but he enjoys a cup of tea and a good book.

Least favorite: From what I've seen of ENT so far, Archer. What a dumbass.

18. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Favorite: Picard. The kind of captain I'd like to serve with.
    Least favorite: Jellico. I definitely would not want to serve with him. He got things done, but only by being an arrogant bastard.

19. Margaret

Margaret Ensign Newbie

Favourite - Kirk he was my childhood hero
    Least favourite - Archer. I loved Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap but just could not take to him as a starship captain

20. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Favorite is Sisko. All the Captains really are meant to harken back to the ideal of the Renaissance "man". But for me Sisko is the most complete and well rounded of the bunch. Husband, father, explorer, diplomat, warrior, chef, scientist, religious figure and more. Plus he seems to understand that ideals are all well and good, but they are meant to be a guide not a straight jacket.

Least favorite... Janeway. She is to my mind the very epitome of what you get when someone comes from too many generations of insular thinking. She's a Starfleet brat through and through and makes it clear all too often that she's not so much unwilling to consider other points of view than her own as valid, but rather unable to since in her mind there truly is just one way.