The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ The jump in time is quite surprising, isn't it? I thought it would pick up soon after TDK. Does this mean that Batman has been a fugitive for all this time?

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a quote from the article, even though it hasn't been made available online yet. Apparently there are people who currently possess the article who are trying to scan it in, but here's a quote that I thought was quite interesting as well:

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

So, he figures he's earned enough goodwill to stretch out a little eh? And eight years is a big jump. The entire rogues gallery could have come and gone in that time.

4. JacksonArcher

So I think it's safe to say that there's DEFINITELY a Dark Knight Returns vibe going on here. Set in the (near) future, vet Batman possibly coming out of retirement, a city at war...

5. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wouldn't that just rehabilitate Batman? After eight years (OMG), I doubt the impact this reveal would make on the people of Gotham would be that big.

6. JacksonArcher

I think Bane starts to shake things up when he reveals the true nature of Harvey Dent. I think that new tidbit of information would be enough to rile up Gotham citizens.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman comes out of retirement, gets beaten up badly because he's too self confident, retreats, and then comes back after a phase of heavy training and self discovery.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

And Dick Grayson is at least 7 or 8 now.

Going from "Batman Begins" Bruce should be at least 38 or 39 years old.

10. Captaindemotion

It's Rocky III! After Alfred takes a heart attack, Batman will be trained in the Eye of the Tiger by Ra's Al Ghul!

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am really excited about the eight year flash forward idea. Genius. The pics look great as well. Can't wait.

12. Captaindemotion

^ It's a very brave bit of story-telling but it's kinda frustrating that there are eight years worth of stories in this Bat-universe we'll miss out on.

13. Admiral_Young

I don't know if I'd say that was frustrating...after all it leaves a gap for possible tie in novels :)

14. Captaindemotion

^ True - it's just that I'd rather see the movies.

Of course, it's somewhat academic, since Nolan has made it clear that this was going to be his last Batman movie. So I suppose it makes more sense that the beginning and end (?) of Batman's career should span a decade or so. More so than cramming the X-Men trilogy into what seems to have been just a handful of months, for example.

15. Admiral_Young

I'm quite surprised but very pleased about the flash forward. I wasn't expecting something like that at all. It does raise all kinds of plot and character questions now :)

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Genius? It's not really the first sequel that does that.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, seems like an odd jump in time but, at the same time, I suppose they have to account for the length of time that has passed since the first movie, not to mention properly set-up the Batcave, the new Batmobile and other Bat-Devices.

Eight years seems like a decent length of time but, at the same time, also fairly extreme as a lot can happen in that passage of time.

18. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Well, since this is a Nolan film I wouldn't be surprised if there were flashbacks to show what happened during the "missing" eight years.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Love the idea of finally seeing the older, more experienced Batman in one of these movies (instead of just the guy still figuring stuff out), but I have to admit I was also looking forward to seeing the immediate aftermath of the last movie-- where he's on the run from a huge man-hunt, has no mansion or bat-cave, and gets around only on a bat-pod.

And I also guess this means the Tumbler is the final Batmobile in the Nolanverse. Cool as it is, I was kinda holding out hope that is was just an "early years" version. :(

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He could have trained 5 Robins in that time. ;)